Обсуждение: PostgreSQL v7.2b2 Released

PostgreSQL v7.2b2 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Good evening ...

    Back on October 25th, 2001, the PostgreSQL Global Development
Group quietly released Beta1 of PostgreSQL v7.2, in order to get the first
round of packaging and testing of our upcoming release in motion.

    Today, almost two weeks later and with few major bugs reported, we
are please to announce our second Beta for broader testing.

    v7.2 of PostgreSQL includes over 6 months of development since we
released v7.1 back in April, 2001, and, as with all our releases, contains
more improvements, enhancements and bug fixes then one would put into an
email.

    Major highlights for this release include:

        VACUUM -  VACUUM no longer locks tables, allowing normal user
access during the VACUUM.  A new VACUUM FULL command does old-style
vacuum by locking the table and shrinking the on-disk copy of the table.

        Transactions - There is no longer a problem with installations
that exceed four billion transactions.

        OID's - OID's are now optional.  Users can now create tables
without OID's for cases where OID usage is excessive.

        Optimizer - The system now computes histogram column statistics
during ANALYZE, allowing much better optimizer choices.

        Security -  A new MD5 encryption option allows much more secure
storage and transfer of passwords.  A new unix-domain socket
authentication option is available on Linux and *BSD systems.

        Statistics -  Administrators can use the new table access
statistics module to get fine-grained information about table and index
usage.

        Internationalization - Error messages can now be displayed in
several languages.

    With a complete list of changes listed in the HISTORY file.

    As well, as with all of our major releases, v7.2 will require a
complete dump and restore when upgrading from previous versions.

    v7.2b2 is available at ftp://ftp.postgresql.org, as well as
through all of our official mirror sites.

    Bug reports, as always, should be directed to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org, and the severity of all bugs reported will
determine whether we move to the release cycle, or do another Beta, so we
encourage as many administrators as possible to test this current release.

Marc G. Fournier
Coordinator, PGDG

OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
Bradley McLean
Дата:
Asked here in case anyone else is in the same situation.

I was lurking on pgreplication-general@greatbridge.org.
Unsurprisingly, it appears to be gone.

The TODO list at http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php does not
appear to have any links to the state of the project, beyond the
page of old hacker's list messages from dec to july.

Darren, or someone, would you please post a link or two?  And might
I humbly suggest that for a project listed at the very top under
urgent, it would be nice to make it easy to find?

Thanks,

-Brad

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> I was lurking on pgreplication-general@greatbridge.org.
> Unsurprisingly, it appears to be gone.

There actually is work being done.  However,  since the list of off line,
there is a lot of communication via email between Darren and I and Betina
(and a few others).  Once the list comes back,  Darren will be posting all
that was discussed there.  We have the 6.4 version working and are moving
the code to 7.2ish to work from that point on.  There are a lot of new
features in 7.2,  however,  that need to be considered.

So...

It is being worked on,  but w/o a mailing list up,  it's hard to get the
info out.  Please mail Darren or myself if you care to know more.

> Darren, or someone, would you please post a link or two?  And might
> I humbly suggest that for a project listed at the very top under
> urgent, it would be nice to make it easy to find?

The info is now available on gborg:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
Bradley McLean
Дата:
* bpalmer (bpalmer@crimelabs.net) [011108 12:28]:

> It is being worked on,  but w/o a mailing list up,  it's hard to get the
> info out.  Please mail Darren or myself if you care to know more.

Thanks, Brandon;  Good to hear.

Is replacing the list a work in process?  Is assistance required?

> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

Would I be out of line in suggesting this get grafted into the TODO
list?  And possibly the projects page?  Bruce?

-Brad

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> Is replacing the list a work in process?  Is assistance required?

That is a gborg issue.  We could setup a list on one of our servers,  but
it would be better just to get the old list back up.

> Would I be out of line in suggesting this get grafted into the TODO
> list?  And possibly the projects page?  Bruce?

I think that it would be smarter to hyperlink to the URL than to graft the
info onto the TODO,  that seems like overkill and replication is being
developed in parallel with the main tree as was the full text search stuff
and will be merged in at the proper time.

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

Дата:
> * bpalmer (bpalmer@crimelabs.net) [011108 12:28]:
> >
> > It is being worked on,  but w/o a mailing list up,  it's hard to get the
> > info out.  Please mail Darren or myself if you care to know more.
>
> Thanks, Brandon;  Good to hear.
>
> Is replacing the list a work in process?  Is assistance required?
>
> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php
>
> Would I be out of line in suggesting this get grafted into the TODO
> list?  And possibly the projects page?  Bruce?

Sure.  I wonder if I should just put that URL on the TODO list.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Not sure what the status is of it being back online ... Chris?

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, bpalmer wrote:

> > I was lurking on pgreplication-general@greatbridge.org.
> > Unsurprisingly, it appears to be gone.
>
> There actually is work being done.  However,  since the list of off line,
> there is a lot of communication via email between Darren and I and Betina
> (and a few others).  Once the list comes back,  Darren will be posting all
> that was discussed there.  We have the 6.4 version working and are moving
> the code to 7.2ish to work from that point on.  There are a lot of new
> features in 7.2,  however,  that need to be considered.
>
> So...
>
> It is being worked on,  but w/o a mailing list up,  it's hard to get the
> info out.  Please mail Darren or myself if you care to know more.
>
> > Darren, or someone, would you please post a link or two?  And might
> > I humbly suggest that for a project listed at the very top under
> > urgent, it would be nice to make it easy to find?
>
> The info is now available on gborg:
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php
>
> - Brandon

>  c: 646-456-5455                                            h: 201-798-4983
>  b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: OT?: PGReplication project dead?

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
As far as I know the PGReplication project is still alive. Darren E-mails about
once a week checking on the mail list status. At this point I have the mailing
lists semi-functional. Archives are working and the administration of lists
works for the most part.  I haven't had enough time of late to finish getting
the server setup to actually send/receive mail. When I get there I plan on
sending out a mass mailing to all the lists.

Chris Ryan