Обсуждение: AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

От
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Дата:
> Okay ... we can fall back to O_FSYNC if we don't see either of the
> others.  No problem.  Any other weird cases out there?  I think Andreas
> might've muttered something about AIX but I'm not sure now.

You can safely use O_DSYNC on AIX, the only special on AIX is,
that it does not make a speed difference to O_SYNC. This is imho
because the jfs only needs one sync write to the jfs journal for meta info
in eighter case (so that nobody misunderstands: both perform excellent).

Andreas

Re: AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > Okay ... we can fall back to O_FSYNC if we don't see either of the
> > others.  No problem.  Any other weird cases out there?  I think Andreas
> > might've muttered something about AIX but I'm not sure now.
> You can safely use O_DSYNC on AIX, the only special on AIX is,
> that it does not make a speed difference to O_SYNC. This is imho
> because the jfs only needs one sync write to the jfs journal for meta info
> in eighter case (so that nobody misunderstands: both perform excellent).

Hmm. Does everyone run jfs on AIX, or are there other file systems
available? The same issue should be raised for Linux (at least): have we
tried test cases with both journaling and non-journaling file systems?
Perhaps the flag choice would be markedly different for the different
options?
                    - Thomas

Re: Re: AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
My UnixWare box runs Veritas' VXFS, and has Online-Data Manager
installed. Documentation is available at http://www.lerctr.org:457/

There are MULTIPLE sync modes, and there are also hints an app can give
to the FS.

More info is available if you want.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman                                                                    http://www.lerctr.org/~ler/
Phone: +1 972 414 9812                                                            E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org

On 3/16/01, 9:11:51 AM, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote
regarding [HACKERS] Re: AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC:

> > > Okay ... we can fall back to O_FSYNC if we don't see either of the
> > > others.  No problem.  Any other weird cases out there?  I think Andreas
> > > might've muttered something about AIX but I'm not sure now.
> > You can safely use O_DSYNC on AIX, the only special on AIX is,
> > that it does not make a speed difference to O_SYNC. This is imho
> > because the jfs only needs one sync write to the jfs journal for meta
info
> > in eighter case (so that nobody misunderstands: both perform excellent).

> Hmm. Does everyone run jfs on AIX, or are there other file systems
> available? The same issue should be raised for Linux (at least): have we
> tried test cases with both journaling and non-journaling file systems?
> Perhaps the flag choice would be markedly different for the different
> options?

>                      - Thomas

Re: AW: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

Дата:
> tried test cases with both journaling and non-journaling file systems?
> Perhaps the flag choice would be markedly different for the different
> options?

Good point.  Another reason we don't have enough data to nail this down
yet.  Anyway, the code is in there and people can run test cases if they
please...
        regards, tom lane