Обсуждение: Interbase

Interbase

Дата:
Something someone pointed out to me recently is that when comparing
databases, you have to look at the speed of improvement as well as
current features.  While we are behind some commercial databases, our
improvement speed is far better than theirs, so we will overtake them
sometime in the future.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Interbase

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> While we are behind some commercial databases, our
> improvement speed is far better than theirs, so we will overtake them
> sometime in the future.

And this, Bruce, is where the PostgreSQL RDBMS truly is the "Most
Advanced Open Source RDBMS."

In chronology, 6.1.1 wasn't too long ago.  In features, 6.1.1 was _eons_
ago.  I know -- I used 6.1.1. And 6.2.1. And 6.3.2.  Now 6.5.3.  Soon
7.0. (I never did put 6.4.2 in production -- the RPM lag factor meant
that 6.5beta was available while the shipping RPM's were still 6.3.2 for
RedHat users.)

And now we have developers that are _very_ familiar with the guts of
PostgreSQL -- it will take people at least a year or more to get up to
speed on Interbase.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] Interbase

Дата:
> In chronology, 6.1.1 wasn't too long ago.  In features, 6.1.1 was _eons_
> ago.  I know -- I used 6.1.1. And 6.2.1. And 6.3.2.  Now 6.5.3.  Soon
> 7.0. (I never did put 6.4.2 in production -- the RPM lag factor meant
> that 6.5beta was available while the shipping RPM's were still 6.3.2 for
> RedHat users.)
>
> And now we have developers that are _very_ familiar with the guts of
> PostgreSQL -- it will take people at least a year or more to get up to
> speed on Interbase.

I have seen the MySQL code and it is clearly very hard to understand.  I
can't imagine how many people _don't_ get involved because of that, and
the license.

Does MySQL have the team size we have?  I don't see them progressing at
our speed.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Interbase

От
Chris
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Does MySQL have the team size we have?  I don't see them
> progressing at our speed.

MySQL is mostly written by one guy who knows it all inside out. That has
its advantages and disadvantages.

Re: [HACKERS] Interbase

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Does MySQL have the team size we have?  I don't see them
> > progressing at our speed.
>
> MySQL is mostly written by one guy who knows it all inside out. That has
> its advantages and disadvantages.

That's what I thought.  That will keep us ahead of them.

Pennsylvania19026