Обсуждение: Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

Дата:
> > > Marc, let's not get Jan upset.  :-)
> >
> >     Bruce, to upset me Marc needs alot of more efford!
> >
> >     And  why not? If you UPDATE you'll see that we can get rid of
> >     most of the entire body. Remember - a picture says more  than
> >     a thousand words :-)
>
> Wow, that is cool.  No need for text at bottom, except to list names and
> e-mail addresses.

I see we don't even need the e-mail address, because you got that in
there too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Wow, that is cool.  No need for text at bottom, except to list names and
> > e-mail addresses.
>
> I see we don't even need the e-mail address, because you got that in
> there too.

It is way cool.

Until you turn off Javascript for security reasons.  Or you surf with
Konqueror (the KDE file manager)....

Or if you surf with images turned off because, on your Toshiba 225CDS
notebook, Netscape farkles the video driver with regularity IF AND ONLY
IF images are loaded.... :-)

The globe is stunning -- but the text below also has a place, IMHO.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

От
"Matthew N. Dodd"
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I see we don't even need the e-mail address, because you got that in
> there too.

All that is missing are mug-shots.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

Дата:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> The globe is stunning -- but the text below also has a place, IMHO.

Yes, we must keep the text info too.  The globe is beautiful, but
not everyone will want to/be able to look at it.

Also, we seem to be missing some names/pins.  Hiroshi's name is
conspicuous by its absence, and if it weren't so late at night
I'd probably think of some more...
        regards, tom lane

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might

Дата:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > The globe is stunning -- but the text below also has a place, IMHO.
>
> Yes, we must keep the text info too.  The globe is beautiful, but
> not everyone will want to/be able to look at it.
>
> Also, we seem to be missing some names/pins.  Hiroshi's name is
> conspicuous by its absence, and if it weren't so late at night
> I'd probably think of some more...

Vince is missing too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I see we don't even need the e-mail address, because you got that in
> > there too.
>
> All that is missing are mug-shots.

    Yepp,  you're  right.  Do a reload and look at my pin (on the
    final page I'll be shaved a little better, it's just a  quick
    grab from my camera taken 20 minutes ago).

    I  really  like  that very much, now this is MY entry and not
    just some information about me. Thank you very much, Matthew!

    It's  an  80x80  JPG  and  only 1931 bytes. A good size to be
    recognizable and not overloading the popup.

    So would anyone please send me some picture (or just  a  note
    that  he  doesn't want one). If it's not actually 80x80 ready
    to stick in, please send something at least 3x the size so  I
    can crop and downscale it without much quality loss.

Jan

Re: New developer globe (was: Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you

От
"Matthew N. Dodd"
Дата:
[Cc trimmed.]

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     Yepp,  you're  right.  Do a reload and look at my pin (on the
>     final page I'll be shaved a little better, it's just a  quick
>     grab from my camera taken 20 minutes ago).

Very nice!  Its good to be able to place names with faces.

>     I  really  like  that very much, now this is MY entry and not
>     just some information about me. Thank you very much, Matthew!
>
>     It's  an  80x80  JPG  and  only 1931 bytes. A good size to be
>     recognizable and not overloading the popup.

Indeed.

>     So would anyone please send me some picture (or just  a  note
>     that  he  doesn't want one). If it's not actually 80x80 ready
>     to stick in, please send something at least 3x the size so  I
>     can crop and downscale it without much quality loss.

I think people with no pictures should have a default picture...  Maybe
'Barney' or something evil like that to encourage them to send in a pic.
:)

Good job though.  Any chance you'll clean the code up and release the
package in a form that others can use?  I think its a very nice layout and
that other open source projects might like to make use of it.

If its backended into PostgreSQL it might make it easier for users to
manage their own entries.  Picture submissions could be handled that way
with no intervention.

Anyhow, I'm rambling.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |
| http://www.jurai.net/~winter | This Space For Rent  | ISO8802.5 4ever |

Re: New developer globe

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I think that we have by far the coolest developers page of any
open-source'ish project out there. What I miss is something like a line
what people do in their Real Life. From what I gather most people around
here are probably one of programmer, system admin, or in academia. But it
would put a refreshing realistic context to the whole thing.

*** puts on asbestos suit ***

Also I think putting the photos below the globe (at least in addition)
might be better because for people digging around in Europe or the North
American east coast it obscures too much and it's also hard to get an
overview.
-Peter

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     Yepp,  you're  right.  Do a reload and look at my pin (on the
>     final page I'll be shaved a little better, it's just a  quick
>     grab from my camera taken 20 minutes ago).
>
>     I  really  like  that very much, now this is MY entry and not
>     just some information about me. Thank you very much, Matthew!
>
>     It's  an  80x80  JPG  and  only 1931 bytes. A good size to be
>     recognizable and not overloading the popup.
>
>     So would anyone please send me some picture (or just  a  note
>     that  he  doesn't want one). If it's not actually 80x80 ready
>     to stick in, please send something at least 3x the size so  I
>     can crop and downscale it without much quality loss.

Re: [HACKERS] Re: New developer globe

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I think that we have by far the coolest developers page of any
> open-source'ish project out there. What I miss is something like a line
> what people do in their Real Life. From what I gather most people around
> here are probably one of programmer, system admin, or in academia. But it
> would put a refreshing realistic context to the whole thing.

    Exactly that is something NOT to put on this page. Don't make
    the job of headhunters too easy!

> *** puts on asbestos suit ***

    Looser, that's not bullet proof :-)

> Also I think putting the photos below the globe (at least in addition)
> might be better because for people digging around in Europe or the North
> American east coast it obscures too much and it's also hard to get an
> overview.

    I could turn the text in the pages body into a table and  add
    the images there too. But I absolutely like them in the popup
    and will let them in.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Re: New developer globe

Дата:
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>> Also I think putting the photos below the globe (at least in addition)
>> might be better because for people digging around in Europe or the North
>> American east coast it obscures too much and it's also hard to get an
>> overview.

>     I could turn the text in the pages body into a table and  add
>     the images there too. But I absolutely like them in the popup
>     and will let them in.

When I was looking at the page last night, I could *not* get Netscape
to show me the images in the popups at all; I just got the "unloaded
image" icon.  This probably had something to do with the fact that
I normally browse with autoload images off, and had come to the page
in that state.  There's no way to click on an image that's inside a
popup to get it to load :-(.  But even after I turned on autoload
and reloaded the page, no popup images.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: New developer globe

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >> Also I think putting the photos below the globe (at least in addition)
> >> might be better because for people digging around in Europe or the North
> >> American east coast it obscures too much and it's also hard to get an
> >> overview.
>
> >     I could turn the text in the pages body into a table and  add
> >     the images there too. But I absolutely like them in the popup
> >     and will let them in.
>
> When I was looking at the page last night, I could *not* get Netscape
> to show me the images in the popups at all; I just got the "unloaded
> image" icon.  This probably had something to do with the fact that
> I normally browse with autoload images off, and had come to the page
> in that state.  There's no way to click on an image that's inside a
> popup to get it to load :-(.  But even after I turned on autoload
> and reloaded the page, no popup images.

    Should be better now. I've turned the body into the mentioned
    table.  IMHO  this  requires  that  we  get  images  for  ALL
    developers, since the current mixing of items with/without is
    ugly.

    The images referenced in the body are  the  same  as  is  the
    popup.  Thus, when you've loaded them (maybe with the general
    Images button) they should popup.

    Works at least with Netscape4.6 Linux.

Jan

Jan Wieck wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > I think that we have by far the coolest developers page of any
> > open-source'ish project out there. What I miss is something like a line
> > what people do in their Real Life. From what I gather most people around
> > here are probably one of programmer, system admin, or in academia. But it
> > would put a refreshing realistic context to the whole thing.
>
>     Exactly that is something NOT to put on this page. Don't make
>     the job of headhunters too easy!

I don't mind people knowing that in 'real life' I'm a broadcast
engineer/webmaster/network admin/preacher....

> > *** puts on asbestos suit ***
>
>     Looser, that's not bullet proof :-)

Nomex/Kevlar is.... And fire-resistant too.... ;-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] Re: New developer globe

От
Vadim Mikheev
Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Also I think putting the photos below the globe (at least in addition)
> > might be better because for people digging around in Europe or the North
> > American east coast it obscures too much and it's also hard to get an
> > overview.
>
>     I could turn the text in the pages body into a table and  add
>     the images there too. But I absolutely like them in the popup
>     and will let them in.

Me too.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Re: New developer globe

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 01:28:11PM +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     Exactly that is something NOT to put on this page. Don't make
>     the job of headhunters too easy!

Why not? Personally I have no problem with a headhunter offering me a good
job.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!