Обсуждение: Regression tests (was Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments)

Regression tests (was Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Um, I hate to break this to you folks, but, barring an AI diff being
available, the regression tests might need to be adjusted anyway, since
they rely on a particular table output format which I cannot guarantee to
(or even want to) reproduce exactly.

But I hear the tests were going to be revised for 7.0 anyway, right? ;)

Since I got you into this mess I would certainly try to help to resolve
it, but that's a future issue.
-Peter

On Oct 11, Peter Eisentraut mentioned:

> On Oct 11, Thomas Lockhart mentioned:
>
> > >   some query;
> > >   *** comment
> > >   *** comment
> > >   \p
> > >   \r
> > >   more queries;
> > > which should probably be changed anyway to something like
> > > -- comment
> > > -- comment
> >
> > Actually, this is probably testing that the buffer reset actually
> > clears the lines, which wouldn't be as obvious if there were only
> > legal SQL preceeding it. Maybe leave it as-is??
>
> I think I figured that out: the *** comments actually show up in the
> output of the regression tests as an aid to a person glancing at the
> results. If the regression tests wanted to test psql then they could
> certainly do a lot more fun things than that.
>
> I was planning on implementing an \echo command which could easily be
> dropped in there as a more elegant solution.
>
> Which makes me think. The server regression tests should certainly not
> rely on some particular psql functionality, just as a matter of principle.
> But if I'm ever really bored I could write a separate psql regression
> test. No promise though.
>
>     -Peter

Re: Regression tests (was Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments)

Дата:
> Um, I hate to break this to you folks, but, barring an AI diff being
> available, the regression tests might need to be adjusted anyway, since
> they rely on a particular table output format which I cannot guarantee to
> (or even want to) reproduce exactly.
>
> But I hear the tests were going to be revised for 7.0 anyway, right? ;)

Yes, Thomas does it, but doesn't like to do it too often.  He will
almost certainly do it for 7.0. :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Regression tests (was Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Yes, Thomas does it, but doesn't like to do it too often.  He will
> almost certainly do it for 7.0. :-)

I can regenerate the tests (usually) pretty easily. I've got the
parser spread across the computer room floor at the moment, so it will
be a few weeks...
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Regression tests (was Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments)

Дата:
> > Yes, Thomas does it, but doesn't like to do it too often.  He will
> > almost certainly do it for 7.0. :-)
>
> I can regenerate the tests (usually) pretty easily. I've got the
> parser spread across the computer room floor at the moment, so it will
> be a few weeks...

Yes, Thomas has to check the current regression tests to see that he has
no errors, then change the backend display, and regenerate the
regression tests with the new output style.  That way, he knows that the
old and new regression tests are the same.

Pennsylvania19026