Обсуждение: psql & query string length

psql & query string length

От
"Ansley, Michael"
Дата:
Me, again...

In psql, is the \ that appears before a command supposed to terminate the
existing query line (if any), as well as escape the command from the query?
It seems that way, because anything after a \ command is ignored totally,
even another command.  Once the command has been executed, that's it.  Is
this the way that it's supposed to be?

Cheers...

MikeA

Re: [HACKERS] psql & query string length

Дата:
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> In psql, is the \ that appears before a command supposed to terminate the
> existing query line (if any), as well as escape the command from the query?

If you think that that logic needs rejiggering, be careful you don't
break \r (clear the query buffer, don't send the query) or \g (send
accumulated query, arranging to dump its output into a file).  I think
there are some other backslash commands that interact with the query
accumulation buffer, as well.

I sort of thought that the basic idea is that backslash commands are
parsed and executed without any effect on the state of an incompletely
entered query, except when the specific backslash command is defined to
do something with the query buffer.  I might be all wet though.

If you got distracted by this point while working on making the query
buffer indefinitely extensible, I'd counsel fixing one bug at a time...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] psql & query string length

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> I sort of thought that the basic idea is that backslash commands are
> parsed and executed without any effect on the state of an incompletely
> entered query, except when the specific backslash command is defined to
> do something with the query buffer.  I might be all wet though.

That's the way it works here Tom, so you shouldn't be needing a towel :)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com