Re: [HACKERS] psql & query string length

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql & query string length
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> In psql, is the \ that appears before a command supposed to terminate the
> existing query line (if any), as well as escape the command from the query?

If you think that that logic needs rejiggering, be careful you don't
break \r (clear the query buffer, don't send the query) or \g (send
accumulated query, arranging to dump its output into a file).  I think
there are some other backslash commands that interact with the query
accumulation buffer, as well.

I sort of thought that the basic idea is that backslash commands are
parsed and executed without any effect on the state of an incompletely
entered query, except when the specific backslash command is defined to
do something with the query buffer.  I might be all wet though.

If you got distracted by this point while working on making the query
buffer indefinitely extensible, I'd counsel fixing one bug at a time...

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Another reason to redesign querytree representation
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Another reason to redesign querytree representation