Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
I obtained Oracle for Linux and did some comparisons with PostgreSQL
6.5 current using the test suite I mentioned before that is good to
create heavy loads.

With default postmaster settings (postmaster -S -i), PostgreSQL was
several times slower than Oracle. However with -F (postmaster -S -i -o
'-F'), PostgreSQL was much faster than the default settings. Yes, this
is well known behavior of PostgreSQL. Without -F PostgreSQL does
fsync() every time a transaction is committed, and it is the bottle
neck of the performance. I observed the disk activity LED almost
always on while running PostgreSQL without -F. However with -F, there
may be a chance that we loose committed data if the computer gets
crashed.

On the other hand the LED was on only every few secs while running
Oracle. I heard that Oracle has a "REDO log file" and a log is written
into there when a transaction is committed. If so, apparently Oracle
does not issue sync() or fsync() every time a transaction gets
committed. I don't know how Oracle guarantees the log be written into
the disk without sync() or fsync() at the commit time, but seems
something like it is one of the most important technique to enhance
the performance of PostgreSQL.

Does anybody have an idea on this?
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 08:50 AM 6/5/99 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>On the other hand the LED was on only every few secs while running
>Oracle. I heard that Oracle has a "REDO log file" and a log is written
>into there when a transaction is committed. If so, apparently Oracle
>does not issue sync() or fsync() every time a transaction gets
>committed. I don't know how Oracle guarantees the log be written into
>the disk without sync() or fsync() at the commit time, but seems
>something like it is one of the most important technique to enhance
>the performance of PostgreSQL.

>Does anybody have an idea on this?

It's a well-known bug in the current Oracle release for Linux,
the redo log is supposed to be fsynch'd on commitment.  Oracle
does fsynch on other Unices.  It will be interesting to see if
the upcoming 8.1.5 (or "8i", "i" for internet, as it's called)
will have the bug fixed.  This still won't cause a lot of
disk thrashing in a recommended Oracle installation as the
redo log should be on a separate spindle from any db spindles,
and Oracle grabs the entire file when the db's created in
order to increase the odds that the file will be one sequential
series of blocks (of course, real Oracle studs use raw disks
in which case the db can guarantee serial block writing).

There's a separate demeon hanging around that writes dirty
database pages to the disk at its leisure.

Of course, if I've understood past postings to this list,
Postgres also fsynch's after read-only selects, too, and
my own experience would seem to confirm it (putting a
string of selects in a transaction makes the disk get
quiet, just as it does with inserts).

I can guarantee that Oracle NEVER does that :)

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Of course, if I've understood past postings to this list,
> Postgres also fsynch's after read-only selects, too,

I recently learned something about this that I hadn't understood before.
When a tuple is written out during an insert/update transaction, it is
marked as not definitely committed (since of course Postgres can't know
whether you'll abort the transaction later).  The ID of the transaction
that wrote it is stored with it.  Subsequently, whenever the tuple is
scanned, the backend has to go to the "transaction log" to see if that
transaction has been committed yet --- if not, it ignores the tuple.

As soon as the transaction is known to be committed, the next operation
that visits that tuple will mark it as "known committed", so as to avoid
future consultations of the transaction log.  This happens *even if the
current operation is a select*.  That is why selects can cause disk
writes in Postgres.

Similar things happen when a tuple is replaced or deleted, of course.

In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
tuple.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 11:31 AM 6/5/99 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
>after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
>be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
>doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
>tuple.

While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
that don't change.  I'm pulling out "select" lists (html <select>)
from small tables of counties, states, countries for the project
I'm working on.  The two countries, for instance, are "USA" and
"CA" and the table's not been updated in two months :).  I'm
building a form and doing a very simple "select * from county_locales"
type selects, then building a <select> list containing all of the
possible values (not as many as you might think, this project
involves only the Pacific Northwest).  There are several of
these selects executed for each form.  Without the transaction
block, there's a lot of disk activity.  With it, much less.

I can go pull out the begin/end blocks, they're conditionalized
in my Tcl scripts based on a "postgres" predicate so they'll
disappear if I migrate the database to another engine.  Maybe
I'll have time this afternoon, if you'd like me to confirm, I'm
going to a brunch right now...

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
> after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
> be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
> doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
> tuple.

I have removed this from the TODO list:
* Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> that don't change.

Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Hannu Krosing
Tom Lane wrote:

> Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> > While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> > uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> > with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> > that don't change.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?

>From a recent discussion I remember that every block that is read
in is marked as dirty, regardless of weather it is modified or not.

It is not a genuine bug (as it only slows thong down instead of
getting wrong results), but still a misfeature.

It is most likely an ancient quickfix for some execution path that
failed to set the dirty mark when it should have.

---------------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@trust.ee> writes:
>> Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?

> From a recent discussion I remember that every block that is read
> in is marked as dirty, regardless of weather it is modified or not.

No, that was me claiming that, on the basis of a profile I had taken
that showed an unreasonably large number of writes --- but the case
I was profiling was a selective UPDATE on a table that had just
been loaded.  When I repeated the test, the number of writes decreased
to the right ballpark.

I am not sure what effect Don is seeing, but I don't think it's quite
as dumb a mistake as that...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 04:58 PM 6/5/99 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>I am not sure what effect Don is seeing, but I don't think it's quite
>as dumb a mistake as that...

If you want, I can wait until the 6.5 release is out, then
play some more to make sure I can make the disk thrash with
old tables.  This certainly isn't the kind of thing that
deserves rush treatment.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 11:51 PM 6/5/99 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:

>It is not a genuine bug (as it only slows thong down instead of
>getting wrong results), but still a misfeature.

Well, it depends on how one defines "bug", I suppose :)  In the
strictest sense you're correct, yet for real world use, particularly
in environments with high traffic, it's a killer.

>It is most likely an ancient quickfix for some execution path that
>failed to set the dirty mark when it should have.

Yep, I remember this from the earlier conversation, too.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> that don't change.  I'm pulling out "select" lists (html <select>)
> from small tables of counties, states, countries for the project
> I'm working on.  The two countries, for instance, are "USA" and
> "CA" and the table's not been updated in two months :).  I'm
> building a form and doing a very simple "select * from county_locales"
> type selects, then building a <select> list containing all of the
> possible values (not as many as you might think, this project
> involves only the Pacific Northwest).  There are several of
> these selects executed for each form.  Without the transaction
> block, there's a lot of disk activity.  With it, much less.
>
> I can go pull out the begin/end blocks, they're conditionalized
> in my Tcl scripts based on a "postgres" predicate so they'll
> disappear if I migrate the database to another engine.  Maybe
> I'll have time this afternoon, if you'd like me to confirm, I'm
> going to a brunch right now...

PostgreSQL writes into pg_log each time a transaction gets committed
even if it is a read only one. Once whatever file writings happen in
the transaction, fsync() would be forced at the commit time. Probably
that's why you observe less disk activity when you surround some
selects in begin/end blocks.

By the way, may I ask more question regarding Oracle? You mentioned
the magic of no-fsync in Oracle is actually a bug. Ok, I understand. I
also heard that Oracle does some kind of redo-log bufferings. Does
this mean certain committed data might be lost if the system crashed
before the buffered data is written into the disk?
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> By the way, may I ask more question regarding Oracle? You mentioned
> the magic of no-fsync in Oracle is actually a bug. Ok, I understand. I
> also heard that Oracle does some kind of redo-log bufferings. Does
> this mean certain committed data might be lost if the system crashed
> before the buffered data is written into the disk?

That is my guess.  Informix does that.  No run runs with non-buffered
logging.  They run with buffered logging, which may loose transactions
for a few seconds or minutes before a crash.

I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
with me.  I have some schemes to do this.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
> with me.  I have some schemes to do this.

I believe you're absolutely right. To most people, performance matters
more than security in a system break down. After all we're talking
Linux, FreeBSD and other systems here. And if people worry, they can
buy UPS'es, duplicate hardware and stuff. It's extremely rare that the
hardware needs to fail.

To counter this, I think Postgresql needs some roll forward mechanism.
Maybe that's what Vadim means with savepoints? Now we're at the
Enterprise end, i could add that companies need hot backup. And if you
include the parallelizing server I believe the commercial community
will be served very well.

I was at a seminar last week where Oracle bragged about 8i. Maybe
Postgresql some time in the future could have hooks for other
languages? I know there's a PL-thing and a C-thing, but I would
personally like a Perl interface.

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
On a personal note, I hope that outer joins and views on unions will
get attention in 6.6.

Ryan Bradetich is working on views. Maybe I can get my wish in 6.6?

If Tom's idea about removing the 8K tuble limit and Bruce's idea about
relaxed sync'ing will make it into the next release, it should be
version 7.0 in my opinion.

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> I was at a seminar last week where Oracle bragged about 8i. Maybe
> Postgresql some time in the future could have hooks for other
> languages? I know there's a PL-thing and a C-thing, but I would
> personally like a Perl interface.

The hooks are already in place, thanks to Jan.
He started by Tcl first and PL only after that.
It should be quite possible to add others with not too much work.

Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Tom Lane wrote:

> Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> > Of course, if I've understood past postings to this list,
> > Postgres also fsynch's after read-only selects, too,
>
> I recently learned something about this that I hadn't understood before.
> When a tuple is written out during an insert/update transaction, it is
> marked as not definitely committed (since of course Postgres can't know
> whether you'll abort the transaction later).  The ID of the transaction
> that wrote it is stored with it.  Subsequently, whenever the tuple is
> scanned, the backend has to go to the "transaction log" to see if that
> transaction has been committed yet --- if not, it ignores the tuple.
>
> As soon as the transaction is known to be committed, the next operation
> that visits that tuple will mark it as "known committed", so as to avoid
> future consultations of the transaction log.  This happens *even if the
> current operation is a select*.  That is why selects can cause disk
> writes in Postgres.

Right. But we could avoid fsync for such write operation, i.e.
do write call but not fsync. This will not avoid real disk writes
but select will not wait for them.

Vadim

Tom Lane wrote:

> Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> > While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> > uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> > with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> > that don't change.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?

pg_log fsync for read-only xactions...
And more of that, commit fsyncs ALL dirty buffers
in pool, even dirtied not by xaction being committed!

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
> > after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
> > be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
> > doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
> > tuple.
>
> I have removed this from the TODO list:
>
>         * Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries

When selecting (i.e. - read-only) transaction commits,
it change pg_log - we obviously can avoid this!
No sense to store commit/abort status of read-only xactions!

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> > > While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> > > uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> > > with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> > > that don't change.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?
>
> >From a recent discussion I remember that every block that is read
> in is marked as dirty, regardless of weather it is modified or not.

No!

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
> > with me.  I have some schemes to do this.

I remember this, Bruce. But I would like to see it implemented
in right way. I'm not happy with "two sync() in postmaster" idea.
We have to implement Shared Catalog Cache (SCC), mark all dirtied
relation files there and than just fsync() these files, before
fsync() of pg_log.

> To counter this, I think Postgresql needs some roll forward mechanism.
> Maybe that's what Vadim means with savepoints? Now we're at the

No. Savepoints are short-term things, living during xaction.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> The hooks are already in place, thanks to Jan.
> He started by Tcl first and PL only after that.
> It should be quite possible to add others with not too much work.

Explain a bit more - I'd like to have a Perl interface. It has to be
added by some of the clever postgresql hackers? A non-C-speaking
individual like me can't do it, right?

wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
> > after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
> > be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
> > doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
> > tuple.
>
> I have removed this from the TODO list:
>
>    * Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries

    I think this entry should stay.

    In   fact,  there  is  a  write  on  every  transaction  that
    commits/aborts even if it's one that doesn't modify any data.
    pg_log  is  written  for  SELECT  only  transactions too. I'm
    nearly 99.5% sure  that  not  fsync()'ing  those  transaction
    would not hit reliability and we might have to work it out.

    This  might  be  one cause that surrounding a bunch of SELECT
    statements by BEGIN/END speeds up PostgreSQL in non -F  mode.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> > > While I don't doubt your analysis is correct for the case you've
> > > uncovered, it doesn't explain why surrounding a bunch of selects
> > > with a begin/end block greatly descreases disk activity for tables
> > > that don't change.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not sure why that should be, either.  Anyone?
>
> >From a recent discussion I remember that every block that is read
> in is marked as dirty, regardless of weather it is modified or not.
>
> It is not a genuine bug (as it only slows thong down instead of
> getting wrong results), but still a misfeature.
>
> It is most likely an ancient quickfix for some execution path that
> failed to set the dirty mark when it should have.

    Can't believe that this is true - uhhhhhh!

    If it is, then it's surely a severe BUG!

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > By the way, may I ask more question regarding Oracle? You mentioned
> > the magic of no-fsync in Oracle is actually a bug. Ok, I understand. I
> > also heard that Oracle does some kind of redo-log bufferings. Does
> > this mean certain committed data might be lost if the system crashed
> > before the buffered data is written into the disk?
>
> That is my guess.  Informix does that.  No run runs with non-buffered
> logging.  They run with buffered logging, which may loose transactions
> for a few seconds or minutes before a crash.
>
> I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
> with me.  I have some schemes to do this.

    The  major problem in this area is, that with the given model
    of telling which tuples are committed, noone can guarantee  a
    consistent  PostgreSQL  database in the case of a non-fsynced
    crash.  You might  loose  some  tuples  and  might  get  some
    outdated  ones back.  But it depends on subsequently executed
    SELECT's which ones and it all doesn't have  anything  to  do
    with  transaction  boundaries  or  with  the  order  in which
    transactions committed.

    As I understand Oracle the entire reliability depends on  the
    redo  logs.  If a crash is too badly, you can allways restore
    the last backup and recover from that.   The  database  crash
    recovery  will roll forward until the last COMMIT that occurs
    in the redolog (except for point in time recovery).

    Someone can live  with  the  case,  that  the  last  COMMIT's
    (sorted  by  time)  cannot  get recovered. But noone can live
    with a database that's left corrupt.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 12:22 PM 6/6/99 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>By the way, may I ask more question regarding Oracle? You mentioned
>the magic of no-fsync in Oracle is actually a bug. Ok, I understand. I
>also heard that Oracle does some kind of redo-log bufferings. Does
>this mean certain committed data might be lost if the system crashed
>before the buffered data is written into the disk?

Not sure, actually, I'm by no means an Oracle expert, I was just
passing alone information gleaned from the Oracle/linux newsgroup.
You can access this via the main Oracle website, go to the Oracle
Technology Network and register, much as you did to download your
developer's copy of the db engine.  Some very experienced Oracle
types hang out there.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
It would be cool to have Perl interface to postgres internals!
Unfortunately I'm not C programmer. I think Edmund could do this.
Regards,    Oleg

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 16:35:14 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk>
> To: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
>
> > The hooks are already in place, thanks to Jan.
> > He started by Tcl first and PL only after that.
> > It should be quite possible to add others with not too much work.
>
> Explain a bit more - I'd like to have a Perl interface. It has to be
> added by some of the clever postgresql hackers? A non-C-speaking
> individual like me can't do it, right?

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> It would be cool to have Perl interface to postgres internals!
> Unfortunately I'm not C programmer. I think Edmund could do this.

    Now  I've  got  a sequence overflow counting the requests for
    something like PL/Perl!

    Even if I can't believe, could it be that there are too  many
    Perl users vs. Perl developers?

    Several  times  I  clearly  said  that I don't know much more
    about  Perl  than  that  it's  YASL  (Yet  Another  Scripting
    Language).

    But ...

    1. I've  designed  and  implemented the PL interface into the
       PostgreSQL  function  manager  including  the  CREATE/DROP
       PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE statements.

    2. I've  added  the procedural languages PL/Tcl and PL/pgSQL,
       which are described in the programmers  manual  and  which
       are both used since v6.4 outside in the world.

    3. I've  offered help for building PL/Perl several times now.
       But only "it would be nice if someone else  ..."  requests
       are coming in.

    Some  years  ago  I  searched for a general purpose scripting
    language.  I found Tcl, which has a graphical user  interface
    (Tk)  and  is supported on the platforms I need (all UN*X and
    (for sake) Windows-NT/95).  Since then I've created a  couple
    of  Tcl  interfaces  to things, it cannot do by default (like
    SAP remote function calls - not available as open  source  so
    don't  call for :-( ). The simpleness it uses for interfacing
    foreign  things  is  why  it's  called  the   "Tool   Command
    Language".

    This  simpleness gave me the power to create PL/Tcl. PL/pgSQL
    was my answer  to  requests  about  a  native  language  that
    doesn't  depend  on any other thing installed on a PostgreSQL
    target system.

    To explain point 3 in detail: I still  feel  responsible  for
    the  function managers procedural language interface -- since
    I created it. BUT I WOULDN'T LEARN PERL PLUS IT'S API ONLY TO
    PROVIDE PL/Perl TO THE {U|LOO}SER-COMMUNITY!  That would mean
    to get responsible for  one  more  thing  I  don't  need  for
    myself.

    If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
    reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
    explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
    RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'll let y'all know about the responses  I  got.  Even  if  I
    don't  expect a single one where a PL/Perl could result from.

    Maybe Perl isn't the scripting language someone should choose
    because  it  is  too  limited in it's capabilities - remember
    that real  programmers  don't  use  pascal...  -  maybe  real
    programmer wouldn't ever use Perl...

Maybe - (please don't) - Jan

>    Regards,
>
>         Oleg
>

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 16:35:14 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk>
> > To: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> > Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
> >
> > > The hooks are already in place, thanks to Jan.
> > > He started by Tcl first and PL only after that.
> > > It should be quite possible to add others with not too much work.
> >
> > Explain a bit more - I'd like to have a Perl interface. It has to be
> > added by some of the clever postgresql hackers? A non-C-speaking
> > individual like me can't do it, right?

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
"Mark Hollomon"
Jan Wieck wrote:

> > It would be cool to have Perl interface to postgres internals!
> > Unfortunately I'm not C programmer. I think Edmund could do this.
>
>     Now  I've  got  a sequence overflow counting the requests for
>     something like PL/Perl!

[personal view on perl and tcl deleted]

Jan:

I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.

I will do the PL/Perl interface.

Perl is a great integration tool. This can be seen from the enormous
growth it its use in such areas as CGI programming. And imbedding
functionality into perl from other sources is rarely a hard problem.

But embedding perl in other applications is not as easy as it could be.

--

Mark Hollomon
mhh@nortelnetworks.com

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
Oh, I see.  SELECT is a transaction, so it flushes pglog.  Re-added to
TODO.

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > In short, if you load a bunch of tuples into a table, the first select
> > > after the load can run a lot slower than you might expect, because it'll
> > > be writing back most or all of the pages it touches.  But that penalty
> > > doesn't affect every select, only the first one to scan a newly-written
> > > tuple.
> >
> > I have removed this from the TODO list:
> >
> >         * Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries
>
> When selecting (i.e. - read-only) transaction commits,
> it change pg_log - we obviously can avoid this!
> No sense to store commit/abort status of read-only xactions!
>
> Vadim

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
Added to TODO list.

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >

> > > It would be cool to have Perl interface to postgres internals!
> > > Unfortunately I'm not C programmer. I think Edmund could do this.
> >
> >     Now  I've  got  a sequence overflow counting the requests for
> >     something like PL/Perl!
> >
> [personal view on perl and tcl deleted]
>
> Jan:
>
> I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
> community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.
>
> I will do the PL/Perl interface.
>
> Perl is a great integration tool. This can be seen from the enormous
> growth it its use in such areas as CGI programming. And imbedding
> functionality into perl from other sources is rarely a hard problem.
>
> But embedding perl in other applications is not as easy as it could be.
>
> --
>
> Mark Hollomon
> mhh@nortelnetworks.com

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > > I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
> > > with me.  I have some schemes to do this.
>
> I remember this, Bruce. But I would like to see it implemented
> in right way. I'm not happy with "two sync() in postmaster" idea.
> We have to implement Shared Catalog Cache (SCC), mark all dirtied
> relation files there and than just fsync() these files, before
> fsync() of pg_log.

I see.  You want to use the shared catalog cache to flag relations that
have been modified, and fsync those before fsync of pglog.  Another idea
is to send a signal to each backend that has marked a bit in shared
memory saying it has written to a relation, and have the signal handler
fsync all its dirty relations, set a finished bit, and have the
postmaster then fsync pglog.  The shared catalog cache still requires
the postmaster to open every relation that is marked as dirty to fsync
it, which could be a performance problem.  Now, if we could pass file
descriptors between processes, that would make things easy.  I think BSD
can do it, but I don't believe it is portable.

My idea would be:

backend  1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dirtied:
        1 2 3 4 5 6 7
fsync'ed:

Each backend sets it's 'dirtied' bit when it modifies and relation.

Every 5 seconds, postmaster scans dirtied list, sends signal to each
backend that has dirtied.  Each backend fsyncs its relations, then sets
its fsync'ed bit.  When all have signaled fsynced, the postmaster can
update pg_log on disk.  Another issue is that now that we update the
transaction status as part of SELECT, pg_log is not the only
representation of committed status.

Of course, we have to prevent flush of pglog by OS, perhaps by making a
copy of the last two pages of pg_log before this and remove it after.
If a backend starts up and sees that pg_log copy file, it puts that in
place of the current last two pages of pg_log.

Also, for 6.6, I am going to add system table indexes so all cache
lookups use indexes.  I am unsure that shared catalog cache is going to
do that buffer cache doesn't already do.  Perhaps if we just flushed the
system table cache buffers less frequently, there would be no need for a
shared system cache.

Basically, this fsync() thing is killing performance, and I think we can
come up with an smart solution to this if we discuss the options.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
>     The  major problem in this area is, that with the given model
>     of telling which tuples are committed, noone can guarantee  a
>     consistent  PostgreSQL  database in the case of a non-fsynced
>     crash.  You might  loose  some  tuples  and  might  get  some
>     outdated  ones back.  But it depends on subsequently executed
>     SELECT's which ones and it all doesn't have  anything  to  do
>     with  transaction  boundaries  or  with  the  order  in which
>     transactions committed.
>
>     As I understand Oracle the entire reliability depends on  the
>     redo  logs.  If a crash is too badly, you can allways restore
>     the last backup and recover from that.   The  database  crash
>     recovery  will roll forward until the last COMMIT that occurs
>     in the redolog (except for point in time recovery).
>
>     Someone can live  with  the  case,  that  the  last  COMMIT's
>     (sorted  by  time)  cannot  get recovered. But noone can live
>     with a database that's left corrupt.

Yes, I 100% agree.  We have to bring the database back to a consistent
case where only the last few transactions are not done at all, and all
previous ones are completely done.  See previous post on methods and
issues.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> update pg_log on disk.  Another issue is that now that we update the
> transaction status as part of SELECT, pg_log is not the only

We should don't update pg_log for read-only xactions.

> representation of committed status.
>
> Of course, we have to prevent flush of pglog by OS, perhaps by making a
> copy of the last two pages of pg_log before this and remove it after.
> If a backend starts up and sees that pg_log copy file, it puts that in
> place of the current last two pages of pg_log.

Keep two last pg_log pages in shmem, lock them, copy, unlock,
write copy to pg_log.

> Also, for 6.6, I am going to add system table indexes so all cache
> lookups use indexes.  I am unsure that shared catalog cache is going to
> do that buffer cache doesn't already do.  Perhaps if we just flushed the
> system table cache buffers less frequently, there would be no need for a
> shared system cache.

I would like to see ntuples and npages in pg_class up-to-date.
Now we do fseek for each heap_insert and for each heap_beginscan.
And note that we have to open() system relation files, even
if pages are in buffer pool.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > update pg_log on disk.  Another issue is that now that we update the
> > transaction status as part of SELECT, pg_log is not the only
>
> We should don't update pg_log for read-only xactions.

No, I was saying we mark those SELECT'ed rows as being part of committed
transactions.  When we SELECT a row, we look at pg_log to see if it is
committed, and mark that row as part of a committed transaction so we
don't have to check pg_log again.  We can't do that with the system we
invisioning until we put pg_log on disk as a committed transaction.
Could be tricky, though having two copies of pg_log in memory, one
disk-copy and one active copy, and use disk-copy for row xact status
updates would do the trick.

> > representation of committed status.
> >
> > Of course, we have to prevent flush of pglog by OS, perhaps by making a
> > copy of the last two pages of pg_log before this and remove it after.
> > If a backend starts up and sees that pg_log copy file, it puts that in
> > place of the current last two pages of pg_log.
>
> Keep two last pg_log pages in shmem, lock them, copy, unlock,
> write copy to pg_log.

Yes, much better.  Control what gets to disk by not updating the file at
all.

> > Also, for 6.6, I am going to add system table indexes so all cache
> > lookups use indexes.  I am unsure that shared catalog cache is going to
> > do that buffer cache doesn't already do.  Perhaps if we just flushed the
> > system table cache buffers less frequently, there would be no need for a
> > shared system cache.
>
> I would like to see ntuples and npages in pg_class up-to-date.
> Now we do fseek for each heap_insert and for each heap_beginscan.
> And note that we have to open() system relation files, even
> if pages are in buffer pool.

Why do we have to open system tables if already in buffer cache?  I
guess so in case we need to write it out, or fault on another page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Also, for 6.6, I am going to add system table indexes so all cache
> > > lookups use indexes.  I am unsure that shared catalog cache is going to
> > > do that buffer cache doesn't already do.  Perhaps if we just flushed the
> > > system table cache buffers less frequently, there would be no need for a
> > > shared system cache.
> >
> > I would like to see ntuples and npages in pg_class up-to-date.
> > Now we do fseek for each heap_insert and for each heap_beginscan.
> > And note that we have to open() system relation files, even
> > if pages are in buffer pool.
>
> Why do we have to open system tables if already in buffer cache?  I
> guess so in case we need to write it out, or fault on another page.

Just because of ... heap_open()->RelationBuildDesc() does it.
Maybe we could delay smgropen?

But in any case note that big guys have shared catalog cache,
and this is not because of they haven't good buffer pool -:)
Keeping page in pool for just single row is not good.

"Oracle itself accesses the data dictionary frequently during
the parsing of SQL statements. This access is essential to the
continuing operation of Oracle. See Chapter 8, "The Data Dictionary,"
for more information on the data dictionary.

Caching of the Data Dictionary for Fast Access

Because Oracle constantly accesses the data dictionary during database
operation to validate user access and to verify the state of objects,
much of the data dictionary information is cached in the SGA. All
information is stored in memory using the LRU (least recently
used) algorithm. Information typically kept in the caches is that
required for parsing."

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> Just because of ... heap_open()->RelationBuildDesc() does it.
> Maybe we could delay smgropen?
>
> But in any case note that big guys have shared catalog cache,
> and this is not because of they haven't good buffer pool -:)
> Keeping page in pool for just single row is not good.
>
> "Oracle itself accesses the data dictionary frequently during
> the parsing of SQL statements. This access is essential to the
> continuing operation of Oracle. See Chapter 8, "The Data Dictionary,"
> for more information on the data dictionary.

> Caching of the Data Dictionary for Fast Access
>
> Because Oracle constantly accesses the data dictionary during database
> operation to validate user access and to verify the state of objects,
> much of the data dictionary information is cached in the SGA. All
> information is stored in memory using the LRU (least recently
> used) algorithm. Information typically kept in the caches is that
> required for parsing."

I agree we need it.  I just think we could use better fsync more, and
seeing how hard shared catalog cache may be, it may be good to get fsync
faster first.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> Just because of ... heap_open()->RelationBuildDesc() does it.
> Maybe we could delay smgropen?
>
> But in any case note that big guys have shared catalog cache,
> and this is not because of they haven't good buffer pool -:)
> Keeping page in pool for just single row is not good.
>
> "Oracle itself accesses the data dictionary frequently during
> the parsing of SQL statements. This access is essential to the
> continuing operation of Oracle. See Chapter 8, "The Data Dictionary,"
> for more information on the data dictionary.

> Caching of the Data Dictionary for Fast Access
>
> Because Oracle constantly accesses the data dictionary during database
> operation to validate user access and to verify the state of objects,
> much of the data dictionary information is cached in the SGA. All
> information is stored in memory using the LRU (least recently
> used) algorithm. Information typically kept in the caches is that
> required for parsing."

I agree we need it.  I just think we could use better fsync more, and
seeing how hard shared catalog cache may be, it may be good to get fsync
faster first.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kristofer Munn
Дата:
My apologies for the apparent triple posting of my earlier message
regarding stored procedures.  The mailing list send me mail notifying me
that the message had bounced due to my not being subscribed so I had tried
to subscribe and then send again.  Somehow, all three eventually go
through.

- K

Kristofer Munn * http://www.munn.com/~kmunn/ * ICQ# 352499 * AIM: KrMunn

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
"Mark Hollomon" <mhh@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
> I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
> community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.
>
> I will do the PL/Perl interface.

Great!  Glad to hear it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

Дата:
> ... Another idea
> is to send a signal to each backend that has marked a bit in shared
> memory saying it has written to a relation, and have the signal handler
> fsync all its dirty relations, set a finished bit, and have the
> postmaster then fsync pglog.

I do not think it's practical to expect any useful work to happen inside
a signal handler.  The signal could come at any moment, such as when
data structures are being updated and are in a transient invalid state.
Unless you are willing to do a lot of fooling around with blocking &
unblocking the signal, about all the handler can safely do is set a flag
variable that will be examined somewhere in the backend main loop.

However, if enough information is available in shared memory, perhaps
the postmaster could do this scan/update/flush all by itself?

> Of course, we have to prevent flush of pglog by OS, perhaps by making a
> copy of the last two pages of pg_log before this and remove it after.
> If a backend starts up and sees that pg_log copy file, it puts that in
> place of the current last two pages of pg_log.

It seems to me that one or so disk writes per transaction is not all
that big a cost.  Does it take much more than one write to update
pg_log, and if so why?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Mark Hollomon" <mhh@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
> > I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
> > community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I will do the PL/Perl interface.
>
> Great!  Glad to hear it.

And me!

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Mark Hollomon wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >

> > > It would be cool to have Perl interface to postgres internals!
> > > Unfortunately I'm not C programmer. I think Edmund could do this.
> >
> >     Now  I've  got  a sequence overflow counting the requests for
> >     something like PL/Perl!
> >
> [personal view on perl and tcl deleted]

    Really sorry for that. It's not my favorite behaviour to talk
    dirty about something I don't know. But after  asking  kindly
    several times I thought making someone angry could work - and
    it did :-)

> Jan:
>
> I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
> community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.
>
> I will do the PL/Perl interface.

    That's a word! I'll contact you with private mail.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Leslie Mikesell
Дата:
According to Vadim Mikheev:

> > "Mark Hollomon" <mhh@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
> > > I've been looking for a project to get me active in the postgresql
> > > community after lurking since before it was (officially) PostgreSQL.
> > >
> > > I will do the PL/Perl interface.
> >
> > Great!  Glad to hear it.
>
> And me!

It would be really nice if the client/server interface could be
fixed up to remove the tuple size limits by the time the embedded
perl interface is added.   I think preloading some perl functions
to get arbitrarily processed output back from a select would be
handy for a lot of uses, and even better if we didn't have to worry
about the size of the returned "record".

  Les Mikesell
   les@mcs.com

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Brian E Gallew
Дата:
> ... Another idea
> is to send a signal to each backend that has marked a bit in shared
> memory saying it has written to a relation, and have the signal handler
> fsync all its dirty relations, set a finished bit, and have the
> postmaster then fsync pglog.

One other problem with signals is that things get complicated if
PostgreSQL ever moves to a multi-threading model.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia.      |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance??    |
| Finger geek@cmu.edu for my public key.                            |

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
>     Really sorry for that. It's not my favorite behaviour to talk
>     dirty about something I don't know. But after  asking  kindly
>     several times I thought making someone angry could work - and
>     it did :-)

I've never seen yout post before. But then again I've not been on
hackers for too long.

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
>     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
>     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
>     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
>     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm a Perl programmer. I don't have a clue about how to integrate
Perl into PostgreSQL, but it should be possible.

I'd like to help. I know Perl, but nothing about the internals of
PostgreSQL and I don't code C.

>     Maybe Perl isn't the scripting language someone should choose
>     because  it  is  too  limited in it's capabilities - remember

Too limited? Perl? You're joking.

>     that real  programmers  don't  use  pascal...  -  maybe  real
>     programmer wouldn't ever use Perl...

Then I'm no real programmer. But then again I program in any language
that is needed.

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Dmitry Samersoff
Дата:
On 07-Jun-99 Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>>     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
>>     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
>>     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
>>     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy.
See attachment.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> This message is in MIME format
> --_=XFMail.1.3.p0.FreeBSD:990608114224:212=_
>

> On 07-Jun-99 Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >>     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
> >>     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
> >>     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> >>     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Easy.
> See attachment.

Dmitry,

    it's  well  known  that a Perl script can access a PostgreSQL
    database. But that's not the thing we're looking for.

    For building PL/Perl, the Perl INTERPRETER must be INSIDE the
    backend. Only if it is part of the PostgreSQL backend, it can
    have access to the SPI.  It will not work  to  spawn  off  an
    external  interpreter  which  then contacts the database back
    via Pg. Thus, there must be some way to link a shared  object
    against  the  Perl  libraries  and at the time the PostgreSQL
    database backend loads our shared object to call functions in
    the Perl library.

    The  attachment you've sent is simply a Perl script that does
    some db access. Nice, but not the point. Please show  us  how
    easy it is to do what we want.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> >     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
> >     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
> >     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> >     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well I'm a Perl programmer. I don't have a clue about how to integrate
> Perl into PostgreSQL, but it should be possible.
>
> I'd like to help. I know Perl, but nothing about the internals of
> PostgreSQL and I don't code C.

    That's the point and why I wrote programmer in capitals (REAL
    PROGRAMMERS STILL THINK AND TALK IN CAPITALS). It's not  Perl
    script-writing   what's   needed   at  this  stage.  We  need
    programmers that are familiar with the  C  API  of  Perl  and
    could  easily  write  things  like the Pg package. And that's
    still not enough knowledge.

> >     Maybe Perl isn't the scripting language someone should choose
> >     because  it  is  too  limited in it's capabilities - remember
>
> Too limited? Perl? You're joking.

    No, I wasn't joking. Up to now there's only  one  person  who
    said  that  what  we  need is possible, but it wouldn't be as
    easy as it should be.  I didn't talked about how powerful the
    Perl  language  is.  And  I  know that it's easy to integrate
    anything into Perl. But after all, it's a  Perl  script  that
    has the entire control.

    This  time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
    working slave.  Beeing quiet  until  it's  called  and  quiet
    again  after  having  served  one function call until the big
    master PostgreSQL calls him again.

    This  flexibility  requires  a  real  good  design   of   the
    interpreters internals.  And that's what I'm addressing here.

> >     that real  programmers  don't  use  pascal...  -  maybe  real
> >     programmer wouldn't ever use Perl...
>
> Then I'm no real programmer. But then again I program in any language
> that is needed.

    You aren't - you're a script writer and that's a today quiche
    eater :-)

    The  term  "Real  Programmer"  is something any hacker should
    know!

    Top of the article "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal":

    <<Back in the good old days -- the "Golden Era" of computers,
    it  was  easy  to  separate  the men from the boys (sometimes
    called "Real Men" and "Quiche  Eaters"  in  the  literature).
    During   this  period,  the  Real  Men  were  the  ones  that
    understood computer programming, and the Quiche  Eaters  were
    the ones that didn't. ...>>

    Take a look at

        http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/33/86.htm

    and follow the links - enjoy.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     This  time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
>     working slave.  Beeing quiet  until  it's  called  and  quiet
>     again  after  having  served  one function call until the big
>     master PostgreSQL calls him again.
>
>     This  flexibility  requires  a  real  good  design   of   the
>     interpreters internals.  And that's what I'm addressing here.
  I know exactly 1 (one) program that incorporate (embed) Perl interpreter
- it is editor VIM (well-known vi-clone from www.vim.org). I think anyone
who want to learn how to embed perl may start looking int vim sources.  Once I tried to compile vim+perl myself, but
perldidn't work. I am

perl-hater, so this probably was the reason.  Anothe example - mod_perl for Apache - is rather bad example, as
mod_perl is too big, overcomplicated and too perlish :)
  VIM can also be compiled with builtin Python interpreter, and I had no
problem compilng and using vim+python. Python is well known for its
extending and embedding capabilities. mod_python (it is called PyApache) is
small and elegant example of how to embed python, but of course it is not
as powerful as mod_perl (one cannot touch Apache internals from mod_python,
though author lead PyApache development this way).  Yes, I am biased toward Python, but I cannot say "I recommend
embed
Python to construct PL/Python" - I have no time to lead the development,
and I doubt there are many pythoners here (D'Arcy?).

> Jan
>
> --
>
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
> #========================================= wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) #

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Dmitry Samersoff
Дата:
On 08-Jun-99 Jan Wieck wrote:
> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>

>> >     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
>> >     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
>> >     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
>> >     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Well I'm a Perl programmer. I don't have a clue about how to integrate
>> Perl into PostgreSQL, but it should be possible.
>>
>> I'd like to help. I know Perl, but nothing about the internals of
>> PostgreSQL and I don't code C.
>
>     That's the point and why I wrote programmer in capitals (REAL
>     PROGRAMMERS STILL THINK AND TALK IN CAPITALS). It's not  Perl
>     script-writing   what's   needed   at  this  stage.  We  need
>     programmers that are familiar with the  C  API  of  Perl  and
>     could  easily  write  things  like the Pg package. And that's
>     still not enough knowledge.

Ok!
I have no problems writing C package like Pg.pm to use with Perl 5.x.

However, IMHO all tasks requiring such packages
can better be done using C++ and STL.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hello!
>
>    VIM can also be compiled with builtin Python interpreter, and I had no
> problem compilng and using vim+python. Python is well known for its
> extending and embedding capabilities. mod_python (it is called PyApache) is
> small and elegant example of how to embed python, but of course it is not
> as powerful as mod_perl (one cannot touch Apache internals from mod_python,
> though author lead PyApache development this way).

Actually abou 1.5 years ago it used to allow access to internals, but
seemingly nobody used it and so it was thrown out in later versions.

>    Yes, I am biased toward Python, but I cannot say "I recommend embed
> Python to construct PL/Python" - I have no time to lead the development,
> and I doubt there are many pythoners here (D'Arcy?).

I have contemplated it several times, but to be really useful we would
first need a nice interface for returning "tables" from PL functions.

I suspect this is not something trivial to add ?

With it I could use PL/Python to make all kinds of external objects like
mailboxes
(both local and POP/IMAP/NNTP), conf files (/etc/passwd, pg_hba.conf),
DNS/LDAP/...
queries or any other nice things available through existing python
modules available
to postgres queries.

-----------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Bernard Frankpitt
Дата:
I re-read the Real Programmers don't use Pascal ---- it beats writing
this damned proposal I'm working on.  If the line about Real Programmers
use goto's is anything to go by, then you should nominate Vadim as the
v6.5 Real Programmer.  You should _see_ all those gotos in nbtree.c!
He's done a fine job with them too.

Bernie

Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> I re-read the Real Programmers don't use Pascal ---- it beats writing
> this damned proposal I'm working on.  If the line about Real Programmers
> use goto's is anything to go by, then you should nominate Vadim as the
> v6.5 Real Programmer.  You should _see_ all those gotos in nbtree.c!
> He's done a fine job with them too.

    Vadim  is  surely one of the real programmers in our project.
    It's not only that he isn't  afraid  using  GOTO's.  He  also
    know's  very  well how to speed things up by complicating the
    code :-)

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
>     Perl  language  is.  And  I  know that it's easy to integrate
>     anything into Perl. But after all, it's a  Perl  script  that
>     has the entire control.

I don't think so, but then again I'm only speculating. If the Apache
people can embed an entire Perl interpreter in their Web server,
shouldn't it be possible for PostgreSQL? Or maybe the Apache people are
REALLY REAL PROGRAMMERS? :-)

>     This  flexibility  requires  a  real  good  design   of   the
>     interpreters internals.  And that's what I'm addressing here.

As I said, I don't code C. I haven't got the time to learn it right
now, and not the time to learn PostgreSQL's internals. If my offer to
help with any Perl question I can help with is below your standards,
I'm sorry.

>     You aren't - you're a script writer and that's a today quiche
>     eater :-)

That remark shows that you know nothing about Perl. But it's okay; be
ignorant in your own little way ;-]

Btw. How do you define script writing as oposed to programming?

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> shouldn't it be possible for PostgreSQL? Or maybe the Apache people are
> REALLY REAL PROGRAMMERS? :-)

    There are some.

> >     You aren't - you're a script writer and that's a today quiche
> >     eater :-)
>
> That remark shows that you know nothing about Perl. But it's okay; be
> ignorant in your own little way ;-]

    Kaare,

    I  would  never  really  flame  on  a  list  like this. And I
    personally prefer  scripts  wherever  possible.  Sometimes  I
    can't resist to write some humor - just that my kind of humor
    is a little hard to understand.  But real  programmers  don't
    care  if  other  human's  understand  them  as  long as their
    computers do. But even then, they have a programming problem,
    and  totally  don't  care  any  more  about human's and their
    communication problems.

> Btw. How do you define script writing as oposed to programming?

    #define SCRIPT_WRITING "modern form of quiche eating"
    #define PROGRAMMING (((READABILITY_OF_WRITTEN_CODING <= 0 && \
                           ABLE_TO_WRITE_FORTRAN_STYLE_IN_C > 4) || \
                           USES_GOTO_EXCESSIVELY) ? TRUE : FALSE)

Disclaimer: This entire message isn't serious!

Jan

Re: Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
Vadim Mikheev
Jan Wieck wrote:

> > I re-read the Real Programmers don't use Pascal ---- it beats writing
> > this damned proposal I'm working on.  If the line about Real Programmers
> > use goto's is anything to go by, then you should nominate Vadim as the
> > v6.5 Real Programmer.  You should _see_ all those gotos in nbtree.c!
> > He's done a fine job with them too.

Unfortunately, I use loops in 9 cases of 10, seems
like I have no chance to win nomination -:(
Though, you should _see_ gotos in heapam.c - maybe there
is still some chance for me.
-:)

Actually, I just don't think that breaks in loops are always better
than gotos.

>     Vadim  is  surely one of the real programmers in our project.
>     It's not only that he isn't  afraid  using  GOTO's.  He  also

Like someone didn't afraid to use siglongjmp in elog.c.

>     know's  very  well how to speed things up by complicating the
>     code :-)

-:)

VAdim

Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
>     I  would  never  really  flame  on  a  list  like this. And I

Who's flaming. I'm just tickling your side bone. Maybe you'll end up
believing yourself if nobody tells you otherwise ;-}

Re: Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> Actually, I just don't think that breaks in loops are always better
> than gotos.
>
> >     Vadim  is  surely one of the real programmers in our project.
> >     It's not only that he isn't  afraid  using  GOTO's.  He  also
>
> Like someone didn't afraid to use siglongjmp in elog.c.

    There  are  much  better  ones in the PL handlers! memcpy()'s
    mangling sigjmp_buf's between sigsetjmp() siglongjmp() stuff.

Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Actually, I just don't think that breaks in loops are always better
> > than gotos.
> >
> > >     Vadim  is  surely one of the real programmers in our project.
> > >     It's not only that he isn't  afraid  using  GOTO's.  He  also
> >
> > Like someone didn't afraid to use siglongjmp in elog.c.
>
>     There  are  much  better  ones in the PL handlers! memcpy()'s
>     mangling sigjmp_buf's between sigsetjmp() siglongjmp() stuff.

Wow! Voodoo!
I very like such things -:)
This is really the way what Real Programmers follow -:)

Vadim

Re: Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
A James Lewis
Дата:
Hey, why don't you just overwrite the jmp instruction with a nop....

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I just don't think that breaks in loops are always better
> > > than gotos.

> > > Like someone didn't afraid to use siglongjmp in elog.c.
> >
> >     There  are  much  better  ones in the PL handlers! memcpy()'s
> >     mangling sigjmp_buf's between sigsetjmp() siglongjmp() stuff.
>
> Wow! Voodoo!
> I very like such things -:)
> This is really the way what Real Programmers follow -:)
>
> Vadim

A.J. (james@fsck.co.uk)
Ignorance is not knowing.
Stupidity is the active pursuit of ignorance.

Re: Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Hey, why don't you just overwrite the jmp instruction with a nop....

    Hmmmm  - this would require that the code segment is writable
    what it isn't on most modern systems.

    But the  shared  objects  are  usually  compiled  with  -fPIC
    (position independent code), so it should be possible to copy
    the code segment part of the PL handlers into an  malloc()'ed
    area to get it into writable memory and execute it there over
    function pointers...

    Nice idea, we'll try it with the upcoming PL/Perl handler.

    On second thought, there  maybe  is  another  tricky  way  to
    prevent  it  all.   Copy  the  entire  Perl  interpreter into
    malloc()'ed memory and modify it's calls to malloc(),  free()
    redirecting  them to private ones. Then we have total control
    over it's allocations, can create an image copy of  it  after
    each  some successful calls into another area and in the case
    of a transaction abort reset it to the last  valid  state  by
    restoring the copy.

    On third thought, we could also do it the Microsoft way. Hook
    into the kernel's virtual  memory  control  and  trace  every
    first  write  operation into a page. At this time we copy the
    old pages state  to  somewhere  else.  This  will  save  some
    allocated  memory  because  we only need restorable copies of
    the pages modified since the last save  cycle.   Requires  to
    hack  down  ways  to  get  around  access restrictions so the
    postmaster is able to patch the OS kernel  at  startup  (only
    requires  root  permissions  so  /dev/kmem can get opened for
    writing), but since this is definitely the best way to do it,
    it's worth the efford.

    The  result from this work then will become the base for more
    changes.  If the postmaster is already patching  the  kernel,
    it  can also take over the process scheduling to optimize the
    system for PostgreSQL performance and we  could  get  rid  of
    these damned SYSV IPC semaphores. Finally the postmaster will
    control a new type of block cache, by mapping part's  of  the
    relations into virtual memory pages of the backends on demand
    avoiding SYSV shared memories too.

Jan

Re: Real Programmers (was: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6)

От
A James Lewis
Дата:
Then again, I never coded assembler on a modern system......  it was fun
though....

Cheers for a great database!  If you have to delay 6.5 longer, do it...
it's better to have somthing stable.

James