Обсуждение: help bug and comment char.

help bug and comment char.

От
Terry Mackintosh
Дата:
Hi all

In looking for how to do table constraints psql help says:

software=> \h create table
Command: create table
Syntax:       CREATE TABLE class_name       (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL], ...attrN)       [INHERITS
(class_name1,...class_nameN)       [[CONSTRAINT name] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN] ]

;

But this both does not work, and does not agree with "The Practical SQL
Handbook", the examples of which do work.

Should the syntax not be more like: (constraint inside the main parens)

Command: create table
Syntax:       CREATE TABLE class_name       (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL][, ...attrN]
[,[CONSTRAINTname] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN] ]);

I'm not sure where to put:       [INHERITS (class_name1, ...class_nameN)
as I've never used it. But I suspect it may need inside the '()' as well,
no?

OH, also, what is / is there, a comment character to use in SQL scripts
feed into psql?

Have a great day
Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>               http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner                  I'm excited about life! How about YOU!?

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3.x, PHP 3.x, PostgreSQL 6.x
Only if you know where you're going can you get there.

Re: [HACKERS] help bug and comment char.

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
> In looking for how to do table constraints psql help says:
> software=> \h create table
> Command: create table
> Syntax:
>         CREATE TABLE class_name
>         (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL], ...attrN)
>         [INHERITS (class_name1, ...class_nameN)
>         [[CONSTRAINT name] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN]]

This syntax help is out of date. The syntax for v6.4 (and perhaps
v6.3.2) became compatible with SQL92, except of course for the INHERITS
clause. That still must appear outside of the column-definition parens.
                   - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] help bug and comment char.

Дата:
> Hi all
>
> In looking for how to do table constraints psql help says:
>
> software=> \h create table
> Command: create table
> Syntax:
>         CREATE TABLE class_name
>         (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL], ...attrN)
>         [INHERITS (class_name1, ...class_nameN)
>         [[CONSTRAINT name] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN] ]
> ;
>

> But this both does not work, and does not agree with "The Practical SQL
> Handbook", the examples of which do work.
>
> Should the syntax not be more like: (constraint inside the main parens)
>
> Command: create table
> Syntax:
>         CREATE TABLE class_name
>         (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL][, ...attrN]
>         [,[CONSTRAINT name] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN] ]);

Fixed.

> I'm not sure where to put:
>         [INHERITS (class_name1, ...class_nameN)
> as I've never used it. But I suspect it may need inside the '()' as well,
> no?
>
> OH, also, what is / is there, a comment character to use in SQL scripts
> feed into psql?

-- is the comment character.  Man sql says:

Comments      A comment is an arbitrary sequence of characters following      double dashes up to the end of the line.
Wealso  support      double-slashes as comments, e.g.:      -- This is a standard SQL comment      // And this is
anothersupported comment style, like C++

      We also support C-style comments, e.g.:      /* multi         line         comment */

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] help bug and comment char.

> > In looking for how to do table constraints psql help says:
> > software=> \h create table
> > Command: create table
> > Syntax:
> >         CREATE TABLE class_name
> >         (attr1 type1 [DEFAULT expression] [NOT NULL], ...attrN)
> >         [INHERITS (class_name1, ...class_nameN)
> >         [[CONSTRAINT name] CHECK condition1, ...conditionN]]
>
> This syntax help is out of date. The syntax for v6.4 (and perhaps
> v6.3.2) became compatible with SQL92, except of course for the INHERITS
> clause. That still must appear outside of the column-definition parens.

Fixed.

Pennsylvania19026

6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Hi PostgreSQL hackers

As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
I will ask my ordinary question ;)

Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
was redundant included in 6.5 ?

---------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Hi PostgreSQL hackers
>
> As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
> I will ask my ordinary question ;)
>
> Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> was redundant included in 6.5 ?

    Sorry,

    I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
    wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
    now.

    Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
    isn't tested enough to get released.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

> > Hi PostgreSQL hackers
> >
> > As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
> > I will ask my ordinary question ;)
> >
> > Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> > was redundant included in 6.5 ?
>
>     Sorry,
>
>     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
>     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
>     now.
>
>     Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
>     isn't tested enough to get released.

We haven't started beta yet.  Anything on LIMIT?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > > Hi PostgreSQL hackers
> > >
> > > As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
> > > I will ask my ordinary question ;)
> > >
> > > Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> > > was redundant included in 6.5 ?
> >
> >     Sorry,
> >
> >     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
> >     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
> >     now.
> >
> >     Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
> >     isn't tested enough to get released.
>
> We haven't started beta yet.  Anything on LIMIT?

    LIMIT  is  in  there  and was during entire v6.5 development.
    But ORDER BY suppressing sort using index wasn't.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

Дата:
> > We haven't started beta yet.  Anything on LIMIT?
>
>     LIMIT  is  in  there  and was during entire v6.5 development.
>     But ORDER BY suppressing sort using index wasn't.

Great.

Pennsylvania19026

Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Hi PostgreSQL hackers
> >
> > As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
> > I will ask my ordinary question ;)
> >
> > Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> > was redundant included in 6.5 ?
>
>     Sorry,
>
>     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
>     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
>     now.
>
>     Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
>     isn't tested enough to get released.

But if it is not relesed it will _never_ be tested enough ...

As we are just going into beta, not relese, I would suggest to put
it in now, and back out if it relly breaks anything.

I have been using it with 6.4 almost since the relese an have
seen no problems - in fact it solved a big problem and provided about
1000X speedup for certain queries (a fraction of second instead of
6 minutes) , not to mention avoiding backend crashes due to disk space
exhaustion.

And it did not break anything in regression tests either, the only
argument then was that there is nothing in regression tests that
could possibly be broken by it ;)

I greatly prefer it over my previous method of doing the same on the
client side (issuing an EXPLAIN, parsing it to see if it is SORT on
INDEX SCAN, and omitting the ORDER BY if it is)

Also, not having it greatly diminishes the value of LIMIT.

I agree that it is a hack and only a partial solution and that in
ideal world the optimiser would also know about sort nodes.

But it is a very useful hack, and for some (like me) it is
much bigger improvement than some 10% due to better memory
allocation (which is of course great too).

----------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> > > was redundant included in 6.5 ?
> >
> >     Sorry,
> >
> >     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
> >     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in

> But if it is not relesed it will _never_ be tested enough ...
>
> As we are just going into beta, not relese, I would suggest to put
> it in now, and back out if it relly breaks anything.

I will download the latest snapshot tonight and test the patch there.

Does anyone know if something introduced in 6.5 can break by omitting
the top sort node ?

Perhaps any of the following:
* MVCC
* temp tables
* Some exotic use of rules
* SELECT FOR UPDATE

I myself can't see how it could break, as the only thing the patch does
is omitting a top sort node if the query is already in the right
order. So it should be equivalent of just not including the ORDER BY
in the SELECT in the first place.

Jan - I often feel the same about some of my code that are part of some
larger complex project (ie. if it aint broke, don't fix it), but this
time
I think the patch is quite safe, and very very useful for at least two
occasions: getting the start of some table out to users web and for
processing
huge tables in predictable/repeatable order.

I somewhat understand your hesitation, because I can't either think of
any test
in regression that could be broken by the patch, but instead of making
me
uneasy it makes me happy ;)

-----------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >

> > > Hi PostgreSQL hackers
> > >
> > > As we are again approaching the beta (feature freeze),
> > > I will ask my ordinary question ;)
> > >
> > > Is the patch by Jan that eliminated the duplicate sort node in case it
> > > was redundant included in 6.5 ?
> >
> >     Sorry,
> >
> >     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
> >     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
> >     now.
> >
> >     Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
> >     isn't tested enough to get released.
>
> But if it is not relesed it will _never_ be tested enough ...
>
> As we are just going into beta, not relese, I would suggest to put
> it in now, and back out if it relly breaks anything.
>
> I have been using it with 6.4 almost since the relese an have
> seen no problems - in fact it solved a big problem and provided about
> 1000X speedup for certain queries (a fraction of second instead of
> 6 minutes) , not to mention avoiding backend crashes due to disk space
> exhaustion.
>
> And it did not break anything in regression tests either, the only
> argument then was that there is nothing in regression tests that
> could possibly be broken by it ;)
>
> I greatly prefer it over my previous method of doing the same on the
> client side (issuing an EXPLAIN, parsing it to see if it is SORT on
> INDEX SCAN, and omitting the ORDER BY if it is)
>
> Also, not having it greatly diminishes the value of LIMIT.

    Ok ok ok - OK. You got me, I'll go ahead and put it in.

> I agree that it is a hack and only a partial solution and that in
> ideal world the optimiser would also know about sort nodes.

    First  the  executor  must  know better how to handle LIMIT's
    OFFSET.  For now it  processes  the  query  until  OFFSET  is
    reached,  simply  suppressing  the  in  fact  produced result
    tuples in the output. The it stops sending if the LIMIT count
    is  reached.   For  joins  or other complex things, it has no
    chance to do something different. But for an  indexed  single
    table  scan,  where  ALL  the  qualifications are done on the
    index, it should handle the OFFSET by skipping  index  tuples
    only.

    Second  the  optimizer  must  take  LIMIT  into  account  and
    depending on the known number of  tuples,  LIMIT  and  OFFSET
    produce  an  index  scan even if the query isn't qualified at
    all but has an ORDER BY clause matched by the index.

    These two  features  would  finally  solve  your  huge  table
    problems.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > >     Sorry,
> > >
> > >     I  missed  to  put  it  into after v6.4 release. And since it
> > >     wasn't there during v6.5 development, I would not put  it  in
> > >     now.
> > >
> > >     Note that it wasn't in the v6.4 feature patches either, so it
> > >     isn't tested enough to get released.
> >
> > We haven't started beta yet.  Anything on LIMIT?
>
>     LIMIT  is  in  there  and was during entire v6.5 development.
>     But ORDER BY suppressing sort using index wasn't.

Sinc we haven't started BETA yet, why not throw it in?  Once beta, we stil
lhave another month of testing before release, so lots of time...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Jan Wieck wrote:

>     Ok ok ok - OK. You got me, I'll go ahead and put it in.

Thanks ;)
> > I agree that it is a hack and only a partial solution and that in
> > ideal world the optimiser would also know about sort nodes.
>
>     First  the  executor  must  know better how to handle LIMIT's
>     OFFSET.  For now it  processes  the  query  until  OFFSET  is
>     reached,  simply  suppressing  the  in  fact  produced result
>     tuples in the output. The it stops sending if the LIMIT count
>     is  reached.   For  joins  or other complex things, it has no
>     chance to do something different. But for an  indexed  single
>     table  scan,  where  ALL  the  qualifications are done on the
>     index, it should handle the OFFSET by skipping  index  tuples
>     only.

And we must also tie this kind of scan to triggers (my quess is that
currently the triggers are fired by accessing the data in the actual
relation data).

It probably does not affect rules as much, though it would be cool to
define rules for index scans or sort nodes.

>     Second  the  optimizer  must  take  LIMIT  into  account  and
>     depending on the known number of  tuples,  LIMIT  and  OFFSET
>     produce  an  index  scan even if the query isn't qualified at
>     all but has an ORDER BY clause matched by the index.
>
>     These two  features  would  finally  solve  your  huge  table
>     problems.

Yes, it seems so.

Next thing to attack then would be aggregates, so that they too can
benefit from indexes, I can immediately think of MIN, MAX and COUNT
on simple scans. But as the aggregates are user-defined, we probably
need a flag that tells the optimiser if said aggregate can in fact
use indexes (and what type of index)

Maybe we can even cache some data (for example tuple count) in
backend, so that COUNT(*) can be made real fast ?

After that the reverse index scans, so that the index that are
backwards can also be used for sorting.
BTW, can this be easily implemented/effective in PostgreSQL or are
our btree indexes optimised for forward scans ?

Also, how do indexes interact with TRX manager (is there some docs
on it).

---------------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

Дата:
> Next thing to attack then would be aggregates, so that they too can
> benefit from indexes, I can immediately think of MIN, MAX and COUNT
> on simple scans. But as the aggregates are user-defined, we probably
> need a flag that tells the optimiser if said aggregate can in fact
> use indexes (and what type of index)
>
> Maybe we can even cache some data (for example tuple count) in
> backend, so that COUNT(*) can be made real fast ?
>
> After that the reverse index scans, so that the index that are
> backwards can also be used for sorting.
> BTW, can this be easily implemented/effective in PostgreSQL or are
> our btree indexes optimised for forward scans ?

Jan, I have kept the postings on optimizing LIMIT for joins.  Let me
know if/when you want to see them.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> Jan, I have kept the postings on optimizing LIMIT for joins.  Let me
> know if/when you want to see them.

    Are  they  patches  ready to go in or just suggestions how to
    do?

    ORDER BY patch is now in CURRENT.

Jan

RE: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"