RE: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема RE: [HACKERS] 6.5 beta and ORDER BY patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello all,

[snip]

> After that the reverse index scans, so that the index that are
> backwards can also be used for sorting.
> BTW, can this be easily implemented/effective in PostgreSQL or are
> our btree indexes optimised for forward scans ?

PostgreSQL seems to have the ability to scan Index backward
because we can execute "fetch backward" command.
IMHO _bt_first() fucntion used to find first item in a scan should
be changed to work well in case of backward positioning.

I think this change also gives the partial solution for the problem
[ [HACKERS] Cursor Movement - Past the End ] reported by
David Hartwig.

I have a sample code for this change.
I can send it if someone want to check or test it.
Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp