Обсуждение: Rules for 6.4 finished

Rules for 6.4 finished

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Bruce,

    I'll send the patch itself directly to you. It's a bigger one
    and I don't want to waste bandwidth on the  list.  Would  you
    please  apply  that  one  and  forget the two others I posted
    recently? The first rules patch (that is already applied)  is
    O.K.

    This  is the final state of the rule system for 6.4 after the
    patch is applied:

        Rewrite rules on relation level work fine now.

        Event qualifications on insert/update/delete  rules  work
        fine now.

        I  added  the  new  keyword  OLD to reference the CURRENT
        tuple. CURRENT will be removed in 6.5.

        Update rules can  reference  NEW  and  OLD  in  the  rule
        qualification and the actions.

        Insert/update/delete rules on views can be established to
        let them behave like real tables.

        For  insert/update/delete  rules  multiple  actions   are
        supported  now.   The  actions  can also be surrounded by
        parantheses to make psql  happy.   Multiple  actions  are
        required if update to a view requires updates to multiple
        tables.

        Regular users  are  permitted  to  create/drop  rules  on
        tables     they     have     RULE     permissions     for
        (DefineQueryRewrite() is  now  able  to  get  around  the
        access  restrictions  on  pg_rewrite).  This enables view
        creation for regular users too. This  required  an  extra
        boolean  parameter  to  pg_parse_and_plan() that tells to
        set skipAcl on all rangetable entries  of  the  resulting
        queries.       There      is      a      new     function
        pg_exec_query_acl_override()  that  could  be   used   by
        backend utilities to use this facility.

        All rule actions (not only views) inherit the permissions
        of the event relations  owner.  Sample:  User  A  creates
        tables    T1    and    T2,   creates   rules   that   log
        INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE on T1 in T2 (like in the  regression
        tests  for rules I created) and grants ALL but RULE on T1
        to user B.  User B  can  now  fully  access  T1  and  the
        logging  happens  in  T2.  But user B cannot access T2 at
        all, only the rule actions can. And due to  missing  RULE
        permissions on T1, user B cannot disable logging.

        Rules  on  the  attribute  level are disabled (they don't
        work properly and since regular users are  now  permitted
        to create rules I decided to disable them).

        Rules  on  select  must have exactly one action that is a
        select (so select rules must be a view definition).

        UPDATE NEW/OLD rules  are  disabled  (still  broken,  but
        triggers can do it).

        There are two new system views (pg_rule and pg_view) that
        show the definition of the rules or views so the db admin
        can  see  what  the  users do. They use two new functions
        pg_get_ruledef() and pg_get_viewdef() that are  builtins.

        The functions pg_get_ruledef() and pg_get_viewdef() could
        be used to implement rule and view support in pg_dump.

        PostgreSQL is now the only database system I  know,  that
        has rewrite rules on the query level. All others (where I
        found a  rule  statement  at  all)  use  stored  database
        procedures  or  the  like  (triggers as we call them) for
        active rules (as some call them).

    Future of the rule system:

        The now disabled parts  of  the  rule  system  (attribute
        level,  multiple  actions on select and update new stuff)
        require a complete new rewrite handler from scratch.  The
        old one is too badly wired up.

        After  6.4  I'll  start to work on a new rewrite handler,
        that fully supports the attribute level  rules,  multiple
        actions on select and update new.  This will be available
        for 6.5 so we get full rewrite rule capabilities.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
>     This  is the final state of the rule system for 6.4 after the
>     patch is applied:

This is all neat stuff Jan. Thanks for working on it...

                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> >     This  is the final state of the rule system for 6.4 after the
> >     patch is applied:
>
> This is all neat stuff Jan. Thanks for working on it...
>
>                      - Tom

    After  playing  around  now with all that for a while I think
    the only thing missing are some more attributes  in  the  new
    views. Currently the views are:

        view pg_rule (
          rulename    name,    -- name of the rule in pg_rewrite
          definition  text)    -- SQL statement that defines the rule

        view pg_view (
          viewname    name,    -- name of the view in pg_class
          definition  text)    -- SELECT statement that defines the view

    For  pg_rule  it would be nice to show up the event relations
    name and it's owners name. So one can select only  the  rules
    belonging  to  a specific table or all the rules one user had
    created.   (this  is  already  possible   by   joining   with
    pg_rewrite,  pg_class  and pg_user, but having the attributes
    in pg_rule is easier)

    For pg_view again the owners name would be nice.

    Adding them would only require little changes  to  initdb.sh,
    so  I  left  them  out  until  a discussion showed up all the
    attributes that should be there.

    Another topic is if we should create some more  system  views
    at  initdb  time.  I  would  find views telling ownership and
    other information readable instead of Oid's very  useful.  As
    for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
    that describes the definition of an  index  instead  of  some
    cryptic  numbers.  And  another  one  for  real  tables where
    indices and views are omitted would also be useful.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

Дата:
> [...]
>
>         The functions pg_get_ruledef() and pg_get_viewdef() could
>         be used to implement rule and view support in pg_dump.
>
>         PostgreSQL is now the only database system I  know,  that
>         has rewrite rules on the query level. All others (where I
>         found a  rule  statement  at  all)  use  stored  database
>         procedures  or  the  like  (triggers as we call them) for
>         active rules (as some call them).
>
>     Future of the rule system:
>
>         The now disabled parts  of  the  rule  system  (attribute
>         level,  multiple  actions on select and update new stuff)
>         require a complete new rewrite handler from scratch.  The
>         old one is too badly wired up.
>
>         After  6.4  I'll  start to work on a new rewrite handler,
>         that fully supports the attribute level  rules,  multiple
>         actions on select and update new.  This will be available
>         for 6.5 so we get full rewrite rule capabilities.

I appreciate you taking care of this for us.  Thanks.

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

> > >     This  is the final state of the rule system for 6.4 after the
> > >     patch is applied:
> >
> > This is all neat stuff Jan. Thanks for working on it...
> >
> >                      - Tom
>
>     After  playing  around  now with all that for a while I think
>     the only thing missing are some more attributes  in  the  new
>     views. Currently the views are:
>
>         view pg_rule (
>           rulename    name,    -- name of the rule in pg_rewrite
>           definition  text)    -- SQL statement that defines the rule
>
>         view pg_view (
>           viewname    name,    -- name of the view in pg_class
>           definition  text)    -- SELECT statement that defines the view
>
>     For  pg_rule  it would be nice to show up the event relations
>     name and it's owners name. So one can select only  the  rules
>     belonging  to  a specific table or all the rules one user had
>     created.   (this  is  already  possible   by   joining   with
>     pg_rewrite,  pg_class  and pg_user, but having the attributes
>     in pg_rule is easier)
>
>     For pg_view again the owners name would be nice.
>
>     Adding them would only require little changes  to  initdb.sh,
>     so  I  left  them  out  until  a discussion showed up all the
>     attributes that should be there.
>
>     Another topic is if we should create some more  system  views
>     at  initdb  time.  I  would  find views telling ownership and
>     other information readable instead of Oid's very  useful.  As
>     for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
>     that describes the definition of an  index  instead  of  some
>     cryptic  numbers.  And  another  one  for  real  tables where
>     indices and views are omitted would also be useful.

Yes, these are good ideas.

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

Дата:
Patch applied.

> [...]
>
>         The functions pg_get_ruledef() and pg_get_viewdef() could
>         be used to implement rule and view support in pg_dump.
>
>         PostgreSQL is now the only database system I  know,  that
>         has rewrite rules on the query level. All others (where I
>         found a  rule  statement  at  all)  use  stored  database
>         procedures  or  the  like  (triggers as we call them) for
>         active rules (as some call them).
>
>     Future of the rule system:
>
>         The now disabled parts  of  the  rule  system  (attribute
>         level,  multiple  actions on select and update new stuff)
>         require a complete new rewrite handler from scratch.  The
>         old one is too badly wired up.
>
>         After  6.4  I'll  start to work on a new rewrite handler,
>         that fully supports the attribute level  rules,  multiple
>         actions on select and update new.  This will be available
>         for 6.5 so we get full rewrite rule capabilities.

Дата:
> >     Another topic is if we should create some more  system  views
> >     at  initdb  time.  I  would  find views telling ownership and
> >     other information readable instead of Oid's very  useful.  As
> >     for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
> >     that describes the definition of an  index  instead  of  some
> >     cryptic  numbers.  And  another  one  for  real  tables where
> >     indices and views are omitted would also be useful.
>
> Yes, these are good ideas.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue

    I'm  running into some naming problems while doing so. Having
    pg_table, pg_view etc. as views lets a users assume  pg_index
    would  be one too where to get some information. But pg_index
    already exists.

    Should I name all of them pgv_... ?

    Other databases have many views starting with DBA or  SYS  on
    the  other  hand.  For now I'll start naming them pgv_..., we
    could rename them before applying the patch.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
>     I'm  running into some naming problems while doing so. Having
>     pg_table, pg_view etc. as views lets a users assume  pg_index
>     would  be one too where to get some information. But pg_index
>     already exists.
>
>     Should I name all of them pgv_... ?
>
>     Other databases have many views starting with DBA or  SYS  on
>     the  other  hand.  For now I'll start naming them pgv_..., we
>     could rename them before applying the patch.

I recall that there are some places in the code (maybe only in the
client-side drivers?) which check explicitly for a "pg_%" pattern to
decide if a table or resource is a system table.

How about "pg_index_v", for example?

                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

От
David Hartwig
Дата:
This is true.    It would be cleaner, though, if we could check for an
attribute in pg_class.   I do not recall one for that purpose.

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> >     I'm  running into some naming problems while doing so. Having
> >     pg_table, pg_view etc. as views lets a users assume  pg_index
> >     would  be one too where to get some information. But pg_index
> >     already exists.
> >
> >     Should I name all of them pgv_... ?
> >
> >     Other databases have many views starting with DBA or  SYS  on
> >     the  other  hand.  For now I'll start naming them pgv_..., we
> >     could rename them before applying the patch.
>
> I recall that there are some places in the code (maybe only in the
> client-side drivers?) which check explicitly for a "pg_%" pattern to
> decide if a table or resource is a system table.
>
> How about "pg_index_v", for example?
>
>                      - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

Дата:
> > >     Another topic is if we should create some more  system  views
> > >     at  initdb  time.  I  would  find views telling ownership and
> > >     other information readable instead of Oid's very  useful.  As
> > >     for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
> > >     that describes the definition of an  index  instead  of  some
> > >     cryptic  numbers.  And  another  one  for  real  tables where
> > >     indices and views are omitted would also be useful.
> >
> > Yes, these are good ideas.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue
>
>     I'm  running into some naming problems while doing so. Having
>     pg_table, pg_view etc. as views lets a users assume  pg_index
>     would  be one too where to get some information. But pg_index
>     already exists.
>
>     Should I name all of them pgv_... ?
>
>     Other databases have many views starting with DBA or  SYS  on
>     the  other  hand.  For now I'll start naming them pgv_..., we
>     could rename them before applying the patch.

Perhaps pg_view_*.  pgv_ is bad because the system only protects 'pg_'
from modification by the user, and psql does not dump out those table
names.

Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

Дата:
> This is true.    It would be cleaner, though, if we could check for an
> attribute in pg_class.   I do not recall one for that purpose.

I don't think there is one.