Обсуждение: Reference Guide

Reference Guide

От
"Jose' Soares Da Silva"
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm writing Reference Manual pages and I have some questions about...

create rule:

      The man page says ...

           "The current rule system implementation is very brittle and
            is unstable.  Users are discouraged from  using  rules  at
            this time."

      My question are:
            Is this command a PostgreSQL deprecated feature ?
            Sould I skip it ?
            Does it works ?

declare:

         DECLARE cursor [ BINARY ]
              FOR SELECT expression

      The man page says ...

           "BINARY cursors give you back the data in the native binary
            representation. Thus, binary cursors will tend to be a
            little faster since there's less overhead of conversion."

      My question is:
            I can't see any difference between BINARY and normal cursors.
            Does it works ?

                                                            Thanks, Jose'

Re: [HACKERS] Reference Guide

От
dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Дата:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing Reference Manual pages and I have some questions about...
>
> create rule:
>
>       The man page says ...
>
>            "The current rule system implementation is very brittle and
>             is unstable.  Users are discouraged from  using  rules  at
>             this time."
>
>       My question are:
>             Is this command a PostgreSQL deprecated feature ?
>             Sould I skip it ?
>             Does it works ?

The rule system is a key feature of PostgreSQL. It should not be deprecated,
if it doesn't work, it should be fixed.

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - Linux. Not because it is free. Because it is better.

Re: [HACKERS] Reference Guide

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm writing Reference Manual pages and I have some questions about...
> >
> > create rule:
> >
> >       The man page says ...
> >
> >            "The current rule system implementation is very brittle and
> >             is unstable.  Users are discouraged from  using  rules  at
> >             this time."
> >
> >       My question are:
> >             Is this command a PostgreSQL deprecated feature ?
> >             Sould I skip it ?
> >             Does it works ?
>
> The rule system is a key feature of PostgreSQL. It should not be deprecated,
> if it doesn't work, it should be fixed.

It does work, but has some limitations in using rules for
UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT.  We need to prevent the ones that are problems.  I
am removing the warning from the manual page.