Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha (repost)

Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha (repost)

От
"Pedro J. Lobo"
Дата:
I'm reposting this, since the first reply didn't make it to the list.

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> I created a small program to return the size of values.  They are:
>>
>> Size of short: 2
>> Size of char:  1
>> Size of int:   4
>> Size of long:  8
>>
>> Does this help?
>
>Yep.  Does anyone else run OS's with the size of long greater than int?
>Does Dec Unix Alpha?  Are people running that?

Yes, I'm running PostgreSQL since the 6.0 days, now 6.2.1p6, on a DEC
Alpha with Digital Unix 3.2c, and it has always worked like a charm. I use
the DEC C compiler, if it makes any difference. The type sizes are exactly
those above.

    Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 1 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 1 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM             e-mail: pjlobo@euitt.upm.es

Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha (repost)

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> >Yep.  Does anyone else run OS's with the size of long greater than int?
> >Does Dec Unix Alpha?  Are people running that?
>
> Yes, I'm running PostgreSQL since the 6.0 days, now 6.2.1p6, on a DEC
> Alpha with Digital Unix 3.2c, and it has always worked like a charm. I use
> the DEC C compiler, if it makes any difference. The type sizes are exactly
> those above.

There is a possibility that the v6.3beta has trouble with your type of
machine. Since you have had success in the past, and (presumeably) would like
to use v6.3, would you have time to try testing the new package to see if it
installs for your machine?

We have enough reports of possible trouble (and a new port support scheme)
that each platform needs to be tested before v6.3 is released.

                                                          - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha (repost)

От
"Pedro J. Lobo"
Дата:
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

>> Yes, I'm running PostgreSQL since the 6.0 days, now 6.2.1p6, on a DEC
>> Alpha with Digital Unix 3.2c, and it has always worked like a charm. I use
>> the DEC C compiler, if it makes any difference. The type sizes are exactly
>> those above.
>
>There is a possibility that the v6.3beta has trouble with your type of
>machine. Since you have had success in the past, and (presumeably) would like
>to use v6.3, would you have time to try testing the new package to see if it
>installs for your machine?

Of course I will... when I can find the time :-( In fact, I want to make
some tests with hash indices, to see if they work properly or not. I hope
to have the time to grab the last snapshot, build it and run the
regression tests on Monday. I'll let you know as soon I have any result
(positive or not).

>We have enough reports of possible trouble (and a new port support scheme)
>that each platform needs to be tested before v6.3 is released.

Sure. BTW, should we move this discussion to pgsql-ports?