Обсуждение: Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
   I need to expand my client relation management/sales tracking application
from its existing python3/Qt5/SQLite3 version to a more capable one built on
a postgres backend. (For the record, I've been using postgres and sqlite on
linux for almost 20 years now so I'm comfortable with both.)

   Before I end up re-inventing this wheel I'd like to learn if someone has
such a tool available and is willing to let me copy it for my inhouse use.
If not, I'd appreciate opinions on whether I should write the application in
python (with wxPython as the GUI) and use postgres as the backend or build
it primarily with postgres with python as the middleware and something for
the UI. All my previous science/business applications have been written in
python and pass embedded SQL to the postgres back end; I've not tried to use
all the postgres capabilities to make development quicker and easier.

   Your thoughts?

Rich

Re: Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 08/12/2016 09:18 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I need to expand my client relation management/sales tracking application
> from its existing python3/Qt5/SQLite3 version to a more capable one
> built on
> a postgres backend. (For the record, I've been using postgres and sqlite on
> linux for almost 20 years now so I'm comfortable with both.)
>
>   Before I end up re-inventing this wheel I'd like to learn if someone has
> such a tool available and is willing to let me copy it for my inhouse use.
> If not, I'd appreciate opinions on whether I should write the
> application in
> python (with wxPython as the GUI) and use postgres as the backend or build

FYI regular(classic) wxPython does not support Python 3. If you are
looking forward you want:

https://www.wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/index.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> FYI regular(classic) wxPython does not support Python 3. If you are looking
> forward you want:
> https://www.wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/index.html

Adrian,

   Yes, I'm aware of this and decided that this new application should be
written using Python3 and Phoenix.

Rich

Re: Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 08/12/2016 09:42 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> FYI regular(classic) wxPython does not support Python 3. If you are
>> looking forward you want:
>> https://www.wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/index.html
>
> Adrian,
>
>   Yes, I'm aware of this and decided that this new application should be
> written using Python3 and Phoenix.

Alright.

As to your other questions, it depends.

Is your existing application sufficiently modular, abstracted that you
can migrate portions?

Or are the various levels tightly coupled and you are looking to start
from scratch?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Avoiding re-inventing a wheel

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Or are the various levels tightly coupled and you are looking to start
> from scratch?

Adrian,

   I want to start from scratch. Yet, I think that I found a solution that
will work better than that that.

   There's a tool called XRMS that appears to have everything I need and want
without extras I don't need. But, it has apparently not been updated in a
decade. While I prefer stand-alone applications built with GTK+ or
wxPython/Phoenix to those built using a browser-based UI, it should take me
less time to update this PHP application to work with postgres (I just
downloaded and installed adodb-5.14) and fix as necessary than to start over
using the schema in XRMS.

   I need to use the CRM to help me bring in more business and writing
applications, while fun, does not produce revenue for me.

   I don't know PHP but will find resources to learn what I need; if there
are ways to better integrate postgres with PHP I'd certainly like to learn
about them.

   As always, I look forward to learning from those who know more than I do.

Thanks,

Rich