Обсуждение: pg_tune replacement

pg_tune replacement

От
Ivan Mincik
Дата:
Hi all,
I am looking for some pg_tune replacement, which is working for latest
PostgreSQL versions. What I need is to have some tool, which can compute
some basic, reasonable configuration defaults for basic deployment
scenarios like pg_tune did - dedicated server, web server ...

I understand, that perfect DB server tuning can't be done by script, but
there are some use cases - for example automatic deployment of
virtual/cloud servers, where such tool can provide much more better
configuration than default one.

What I have found, is this [1] web tool which is looking good and the
source code is published on GitHub [2].
What is the difference to pg_tune ? Is it really producing good results
for latest PostgreSQL versions ?

Thank you very much.

1 - http://pgtune.leopard.in.ua/
2 - https://github.com/le0pard/pgtune

--
Ivan Minčík
ivan.mincik@gmail.com  GPG: 0x79529A1E

Вложения

Re: pg_tune replacement

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.mincik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for some pg_tune replacement, which is working for latest
> PostgreSQL versions. What I need is to have some tool, which can compute
> some basic, reasonable configuration defaults for basic deployment
> scenarios like pg_tune did - dedicated server, web server ...
>
> I understand, that perfect DB server tuning can't be done by script, but
> there are some use cases - for example automatic deployment of
> virtual/cloud servers, where such tool can provide much more better
> configuration than default one.
>
> What I have found, is this [1] web tool which is looking good and the
> source code is published on GitHub [2].
> What is the difference to pg_tune ? Is it really producing good results
> for latest PostgreSQL versions ?

I see a few obvious differences between the tools, e.g. no setting of
checkpoint_segments in the online tool, but it looks like they've
more-or-less borrowed most of the rest of the config calculations out
of pgtune.

Honestly, it shouldn't be too hard to add support for more recent
Postgres versions to pgtune. A web UI is nifty for some purposes, but
as you noted, the nice aspect of pgtune is that you can run it on the
actual database server you are deploying and have it spit out a
suitable .conf file. I'm not sure if pgtune is still being maintained
much or at all these days (I still have an ancient PR hanging out
against it...) but it might be worthwhile to fork it and maintain the
project elsewhere if it needs an owner.

Josh