Обсуждение: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Alan Droege
Дата:
I have removed SELECT rights from the pg_proc.prosrc column so that I
can hide
the source code of stored functions.  This is working OK, however I
would really
like to just hide certain functions via RLS.  I understand that great
damage could
be done to the system catalog by allowing users to mess with them,
however  RLS
seems to be a great idea in this case.

Has this been thought about?  Any plans to change in the future?   I
know that
we could write certain functions in "c", and that their implementation
source would
be hidden....however that is not an option yet.  We would desire the
PL/pgSQL code
of certain functions to be hidden ideally using RLS.

Thanks.

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 03/02/2016 11:29 AM, Alan Droege wrote:
> I have removed SELECT rights from the pg_proc.prosrc column so that
> I can hide the source code of stored functions.  This is working OK,
> however I would really like to just hide certain functions via RLS.
> I understand that great damage could be done to the system catalog by
> allowing users to mess with them, however  RLS seems to be a great
> idea in this case.
>
> Has this been thought about?  Any plans to change in the future?

It has been discussed at some length and there is a specific
implementation patch that has been proposed. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com

It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
specific functionality you would require to that thread.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 03/02/2016 11:37 AM, Joe Conway wrote:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com

> It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
> specific functionality you would require to that thread.
>
> Joe

And how would one do that? (Not trying to be difficult, I really have no
idea how to join a thread that I have no email archive for).

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 03/02/2016 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 11:37 AM, Joe Conway wrote:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com

>> It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
>> specific functionality you would require to that thread.
>
> And how would one do that? (Not trying to be difficult, I really have no
> idea how to join a thread that I have no email archive for).

I thought there was once a link somewhere on the mail archives to get a
specific email resent, but for the life of me I cannot find it today :-/

However, if you view the raw message (there is a link for that on the
archives), save it locally, and then open it in your email client, you
can then hit "reply-all".

HTH,

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/02/2016 11:56 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 03/02/2016 11:37 AM, Joe Conway wrote:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com

>>> It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
>>> specific functionality you would require to that thread.
>>
>> And how would one do that? (Not trying to be difficult, I really have no
>> idea how to join a thread that I have no email archive for).
>
> I thought there was once a link somewhere on the mail archives to get a
> specific email resent, but for the life of me I cannot find it today :-/

If you go to a specific message in the archive there is a 'Mail this
message' link at the bottom of the message that will mail to the user. I
just tried it and it said it sent the message, though I have not
received it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

On 03/02/2016 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 11:37 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
>> specific functionality you would require to that thread.
>
> And how would one do that? (Not trying to be difficult, I really have no
> idea how to join a thread that I have no email archive for).

I thought there was once a link somewhere on the mail archives to get a
specific email resent, but for the life of me I cannot find it today :-/
Sign, go to archive, and there are link "Mail this message"

Regards

Pavel

However, if you view the raw message (there is a link for that on the
archives), save it locally, and then open it in your email client, you
can then hit "reply-all".

HTH,

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On 02/03/2016 20:56, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 03/02/2016 11:37 AM, Joe Conway wrote:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com#CA+Tgmoa=4vTi1Hb1HTA0+QbZLOjkpJBd5dKVw3zmP-kdWJER3w@mail.gmail.com

>>> It would be good for you to add your thoughts on your use case and
>>> specific functionality you would require to that thread.
>>
>> And how would one do that? (Not trying to be difficult, I really have no
>> idea how to join a thread that I have no email archive for).
>
> I thought there was once a link somewhere on the mail archives to get a
> specific email resent, but for the life of me I cannot find it today :-/

It's only available in majordomo AFAIK. For instance
https://lists.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?list=pgsql-hackers&brief=on&func=archive-get-part&extra=201602/753

once you log in you'll find the "Mail this message to..." link at bottom
of the page.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Re: RLS on catalog tables would be helpful

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 03/02/2016 12:14 PM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On 02/03/2016 20:56, Joe Conway wrote:
>> I thought there was once a link somewhere on the mail archives to get a
>> specific email resent, but for the life of me I cannot find it today :-/
>>

> It's only available in majordomo AFAIK. For instance
> https://lists.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?list=pgsql-hackers&brief=on&func=archive-get-part&extra=201602/753
>
> once you log in you'll find the "Mail this message to..." link at bottom
> of the page.
>
>> However, if you view the raw message (there is a link for that on the
>> archives), save it locally, and then open it in your email client, you
>> can then hit "reply-all".

Ah, thanks to all the folks who answered with that -- I knew I had seen
it somewhere. But in any case the raw message method I mentioned works too.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com