Обсуждение: Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

От
zh1029
Дата:
Hi,
  It seems low performance PostgreSQL(9.3.6) while writing data to glusterFS
distributed file system. libgfapi is provide since GlusterFS version 3.4 to
avoid kernel visits/data copy which can improve its performance. But I
didn't find out any instruction from the PostgreSQL web page. Do you know if
PostgreSQL later release supports using libgfapi to optimized write data to
ClusterFS file system.

Re: Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

От
Scott Mead

  It seems low performance PostgreSQL(9.3.6) while writing data to glusterFS
distributed file system. libgfapi is provide since GlusterFS version 3.4 to
avoid kernel visits/data copy which can improve its performance. But I
didn't find out any instruction from the PostgreSQL web page. Do you know if
PostgreSQL later release supports using libgfapi to optimized write data to
ClusterFS file system.

The real question is, why are you using GLusterFS?  It's important to be careful since PostgreSQL provides no mechanism to allow for shared-disk clustering (active/active).  If you are planning on using active/passive, you must plan carefully so as not to create a split-brain scenario.

--
Scott Mead
Sr. Architect

Re: Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 11:26:40 PM zh1029 wrote:
> Hi,
>   It seems low performance PostgreSQL(9.3.6) while writing data to glusterFS
> distributed file system. libgfapi is provide since GlusterFS version 3.4 to
> avoid kernel visits/data copy which can improve its performance. But I
> didn't find out any instruction from the PostgreSQL web page. Do you know
> if PostgreSQL later release supports using libgfapi to optimized write data
> to ClusterFS file system.

Putting a database on Gluster is a horrible idea in any case. But no,
PostgreSQL does not have Gluster-specific support.

I'm actually trying to think of a use case where it would make sense; I
suppose a large data warehouse could theoretically see some sequential read
improvements from a scale-out cluster file system. But you could only have one
client node accessing it.

Вложения

Re: Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

От
zh1029
Дата:
Hi,
  Thank you for the advice.This was designed storage solution deployed in
cloud among with other storage usage. We will remove glusterfs solution to
DB usage.

Re: Does PostgreSQL support to write glusterfs by Libgfapi

От
zh1029
Дата:
Hi,
  Thank you. This was designed storage solution deployed in cloud among with
other storage usage. We will remove glusterfs solution to DB usage. We don't
intend to use glusterfs to do data replication. But PostgreSQL may think
about variable storage solutions.