Обсуждение: Domain check constraint not honored?

Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Eric Schwarzenbach
Дата:
I have created a custom type as a domain based on text, which adds a
check constraint using a regexp to limit it to containing digits and
'.'. However I am finding I can add values with other characters to a
column of this type. Is this to be expected for some reason?

Or alternately, did I define the constraint wrong somehow? It is defined
thus:

CREATE DOMAIN hierpath AS text
CHECK(
    VALUE ~ '[0-9.]+'
);

Checking the docs I'm pretty sure the '.' doesn't need escaping but I
also tried a test leaving it out ( '[0-9]+') and the result is the same.
It lets me store letters in a column defined to be of this type.

The version() function tells me
"PostgreSQL 9.4.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu
4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2, 64-bit"

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
[...]

I think you regexp is too weak.  So long as the value has a digit or period, it's good.
'^[0-9.]+$' might work

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Eric Schwarzenbach

Thank you! (Slapping head)
Your regexp seems to do the trick.

[...]

Дата:
[...]

Cool.

Note that this is a bottom-post forum and unfortunately so imho.  Please don't top post.

Also thought I should mention that there is an ip address type if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Rob Sargent wrote:

> Also thought I should mention that there is an ip address type if that's
> what you're trying to accomplish.

Looking at the domain name, I wonder whether contrib/ltree would be
helpful.

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Eric Schwarzenbach
Дата:
On 10/29/2015 03:44 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rob Sargent wrote:
>
>> Also thought I should mention that there is an ip address type if that's
>> what you're trying to accomplish.
> Looking at the domain name, I wonder whether contrib/ltree would be
> helpful.
Very observant! This is indeed part of a hierarchical data solution.
Thanks for the suggestion, but this solution has been in place and
working for a few years already. I'm not positive, but I think I may
have looked at ltree when I first implemented it, but decided against it
in favor of a transitive closure table, augmented with this path for
sorting.
(I do sometimes wonder whether the transitive closure table is worth it
vs just a materialized path.)

I'm just now converting that path to use a custom domain (along with
custom operators) instead of just being a string. (The custom operators
allow the paths to be sorted properly without each segment needing to be
filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also FWIW, the latest version of
this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')

Cheers,

Eric

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
On 10/29/2015 04:29 PM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
> segment needing to be filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also
> FWIW, the latest version of this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')
>

> Cheers,
>
> Eric

So it can start with a dot, but not end with one?

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

Дата:
Eric Schwarzenbach <subscriber@blackbrook.org> writes:
> ... (Also FWIW, the latest version of
> this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')

Um, that's not gonna do what you want at all.  Outside brackets, a dot
is a wildcard.  (Regex syntax is a mess :-(.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
On 10/29/2015 05:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Eric Schwarzenbach <subscriber@blackbrook.org> writes:
... (Also FWIW, the latest version of
this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')
Um, that's not gonna do what you want at all.  Outside brackets, a dot
is a wildcard.  (Regex syntax is a mess :-(.)
		regards, tom lane

arg. back to level two of regexpness for me :(  I read it as ^[0-9.]+

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Dane Foster
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/29/2015 05:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Eric Schwarzenbach <subscriber@blackbrook.org> writes:
... (Also FWIW, the latest version of
this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')
Um, that's not gonna do what you want at all.  Outside brackets, a dot
is a wildcard.  (Regex syntax is a mess :-(.)
		regards, tom lane

arg. back to level two of regexpness for me :(  I read it as ^[0-9.]+

​If I understand your regex needs correctly you want to allow digits separated by dots (like IPv4 octets) but never start w/ or end w/ a dot nor any non digit character other than a dot. If that's the case this may work. I say may because I'm using PCRE syntax and I don't know how much of it PostgreSQL supports.

^(?>\d+)(?>\.\d+)*$

If there is no support for atomic groups you can try this: ^(?:\d++)(?:\.\d++)*$

And if there is no support for greedy quantifiers nor non capturing groups: ^(\d+)(\.\d++)*$

I hoped that helped.

Good luck,

Dane

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 10/29/15 5:29 PM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
> I'm just now converting that path to use a custom domain (along with
> custom operators) instead of just being a string. (The custom operators
> allow the paths to be sorted properly without each segment needing to be
> filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also FWIW, the latest version of
> this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')

Have you looked at using int[]? It wouldn't be hard to go between that
and the string representation using string_to_array() and
array_to_string(). There's also a chance that eventually you'd be able
to do FKs on it.

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Eric Schwarzenbach
Дата:
[...]

Дата:
On 10/30/2015 09:53 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 10/29/15 5:29 PM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
>> I'm just now converting that path to use a custom domain (along with
>> custom operators) instead of just being a string. (The custom operators
>> allow the paths to be sorted properly without each segment needing to be
>> filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also FWIW, the latest version of
>> this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')
>
> Have you looked at using int[]? It wouldn't be hard to go between that
> and the string representation using string_to_array() and
> array_to_string(). There's also a chance that eventually you'd be able
> to do FKs on it.
Do you mean making the column int[] and converting to string if needed,
or converting the string column to int[] for the purposes of the
ordering algorithm?

I did consider making the column int[] instead of a string, and it would
probably be slightly more efficient in a few ways. My main hesitations
were having to revisit the code that puts together this path, and
compatibility (at the moment we're only using PostgreSQL but we've had
to run on other databases for certain clients in the past, and in theory
are open to that in the future). I realize the compatibility concern is
a little humorous in light of having gone down the
custom-operator-for-sorting route, but I can always fall back to 0 padding.

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 10/30/15 12:50 PM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
> On 10/30/2015 09:53 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> On 10/29/15 5:29 PM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
>>> I'm just now converting that path to use a custom domain (along with
>>> custom operators) instead of just being a string. (The custom operators
>>> allow the paths to be sorted properly without each segment needing to be
>>> filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also FWIW, the latest version of
>>> this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')
>>
>> Have you looked at using int[]? It wouldn't be hard to go between that
>> and the string representation using string_to_array() and
>> array_to_string(). There's also a chance that eventually you'd be able
>> to do FKs on it.
> Do you mean making the column int[] and converting to string if needed,
> or converting the string column to int[] for the purposes of the
> ordering algorithm?

Changing the storage would probably be best because int[] should be
significantly smaller than a string representation.

> I did consider making the column int[] instead of a string, and it would
> probably be slightly more efficient in a few ways. My main hesitations
> were having to revisit the code that puts together this path, and

You could create a writable view (with the same name as the table) that
would convert the string representation to an array using
string_to_array(blah, '.'). That should be pretty fast.

> compatibility (at the moment we're only using PostgreSQL but we've had
> to run on other databases for certain clients in the past, and in theory
> are open to that in the future). I realize the compatibility concern is
> a little humorous in light of having gone down the
> custom-operator-for-sorting route, but I can always fall back to 0 padding.

BTW, IIRC ORDER BY int[] will do what you want here.