Обсуждение: Log-shipping replication in one machine

Log-shipping replication in one machine

От
"nurul [via PostgreSQL]"
Дата:
We have install PostgreSQL 9.3 in Ubuntu. We want to ask it is posibble to do log shipping replication in one machine with different port such as port 5435 as a master while 5436 as a slave? We also tried that process in one machine but still get an error in slave such as

warning: connection to the database failed, disabling startup checks:
psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

We do the log shipping replication process based on http://www.themagicnumber.es/replication-in-postgresql-i?lang=en

We hope all of you can help us to solve this problem. Thank you

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Log-shipping-replication-in-one-machine-tp5823774.html
This email was sent by nurul (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/21/2014 12:02 AM, nurul [via PostgreSQL] wrote:

> We do the log shipping replication process based on
> http://www.themagicnumber.es/replication-in-postgresql-i?lang=en

thats a rather old blog entry, appears to be talking about postgres 8.3

Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM, nurul [via PostgreSQL]
<ml-node+s1045698n5823774h72@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> We have install PostgreSQL 9.3 in Ubuntu. We want to ask it is possible to do log shipping replication in one machine
withdifferent port such as port 5435 as a master while 5436 as a slave? We also tried that process in one machine but
stillget an error in slave such as

Yes you can do that.

> warning: connection to the database failed, disabling startup checks:
> psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

Did you enable hot_standby = on in postgresql.conf of the standby with
wal_level = hot_standby in postgresql.conf of the master? Those are
necessary requirements to make a standby accessible for read-only
operations, which is what it seems you are looking for.
--
Michael

Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine

От
"nurul [via PostgreSQL]"
Дата:
Thank you for your response. May i know what is the difference between log shipping and streaming replication actually? I'm sorry i am very new in postgreSQL and still confused with these two

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Log-shipping-replication-in-one-machine-tp5823774p5824365.html
This email was sent by nurul (via Nabble)

Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/26/2014 09:46 PM, nurul [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
> Thank you for your response. May i know what is the difference between
> log shipping and streaming replication actually? I'm sorry i am very new
> in postgreSQL and still confused with these two

For an overview see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/warm-standby.html

Short version:

1) Both deal with WAL files.

2) Log shipping ships the entire file (16MB by default) at a time.

3) Streaming ships records within the WAL file, so it works incrementally.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com