Обсуждение: In a moment of madness I destroyed...

In a moment of madness I destroyed...

От
Jerry Levan
Дата:
Today I updated my fedora machine from f19 to f20 without taking a
data dump.

When ‘fedup’ finished my 9.2.x binaries were updated to 9.3.x and
postgresql can no longer start…

I have all of the tables on another machine ( a mac  running 9.1.x postgresql) so no important
data was lost. ( My db consists primarily of all of my financial transactions
for the last 14 years and some miscellaneous tables for stashing other interesting information.)

Any suggestions for recovery would be appreciated.

Would a  text pg_dumpall from the mac be portable to the 9.3.x version on the PAE kerneled
fedora box?

It looks like I would at a minimum move the current pgsql directory and then do
the initdb and create user stuff…

I guess I could then possibly use the dblink stuff to suck the tables over one at a time…

Thanks

 Dazed and Confused Jerry

Re: In a moment of madness I destroyed...

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/02/2014 04:33 PM, Jerry Levan wrote:
> Today I updated my fedora machine from f19 to f20 without taking a
> data dump.
>
> When ‘fedup’ finished my 9.2.x binaries were updated to 9.3.x and
> postgresql can no longer start…
>
> I have all of the tables on another machine ( a mac  running 9.1.x postgresql) so no important
> data was lost. ( My db consists primarily of all of my financial transactions
> for the last 14 years and some miscellaneous tables for stashing other interesting information.)
>
> Any suggestions for recovery would be appreciated.
>
> Would a  text pg_dumpall from the mac be portable to the 9.3.x version on the PAE kerneled
> fedora box?

Yes.

> It looks like I would at a minimum move the current pgsql directory and then do
> the initdb and create user stuff…

So the upgrade overwrote you $DATA directory?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: In a moment of madness I destroyed...

Дата:
Jerry Levan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> writes:
> Today I updated my fedora machine from f19 to f20 without taking a
> data dump.

> When �fedup� finished my 9.2.x binaries were updated to 9.3.x and
> postgresql can no longer start�

Install postgresql-upgrade and do "service postgresql upgrade".
More or less ... that's from memory, and I've not looked at that stuff
in nearly a year.  Read the README file under /usr/share/doc/postgresql*
to get the correct details.  And make a physical backup first, if the
data is that valuable to you.

A bigger question is why you don't have an organized backup plan to
begin with.  Especially if you're keeping priceless personal data
on such a bleeding-edge system as Fedora.  (I'll omit the blurb
for my former employer's commercial offering, other than to note
that I'm gladly paying their subscription price now that I don't
get it for free.  And I keep backups, too ;-))

            regards, tom lane

Re: In a moment of madness I destroyed...

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Jerry Levan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would a  text pg_dumpall from the mac be portable to the 9.3.x version on the PAE kerneled
> fedora box?

Of course.

> I guess I could then possibly use the dblink stuff to suck the tables over one at a time...

Well, if data is still there, why not instlaling the binaries (e.g.
from source) related to such version and configure the daemon to run
against such pgdata? At least, this would be my first try.

Luca