Обсуждение: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Дата:
Hello to all,

I always use PostgreSQL from enterpriseDB. I have both 9.2 and 9.1 latest
verions installed on two different Ubuntu 64bit machines. For some reason
levenshtein_less_equal does not work, in contrast to levenshtein which works
as expected. I even downloaded the src code for PostgreSQL code for
fuzzystrmatch and compiled myself, added the so file to the correct place
and still it does not work. The process was correct, because I have
increased the levenshtein limit from 255 to 2048.

Can you tell me how to make levenshtein_less_equal. Are those mysterious
IFDEF levenshtein_less_equal that are messing compilation?

Thanks,

Alexandros

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Query:

SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);

ERROR:  function levenshtein_less_equal(unknown, unknown, integer) does not
exist
LINE 1: SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.

Even this:

SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive'::TEXT,
'exhaustive'::TEXT,2::INTEGER);
function levenshtein_less_equal(text, text, integer) does not exist

But this works perfectly:
SELECT levenshtein('extensive', 'exhaustive');
4

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On 01/24/2014 01:07 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);

Did you CREATE the extension?

8<-----------------------------

psql (9.3.2)
Type "help" for help.

iftest=# SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
ERROR:  function levenshtein_less_equal(unknown, unknown, integer)
does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You
might need to add explicit type casts.

iftest=# create extension fuzzystrmatch;
CREATE EXTENSION

iftest=# SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
 levenshtein_less_equal
- ------------------------
                      3
(1 row)

8<-----------------------------

psql (9.1.11)
Type "help" for help.

test=# create extension fuzzystrmatch;
CREATE EXTENSION
test=# SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
 levenshtein_less_equal
- ------------------------
                      3
(1 row)

8<-----------------------------

We need more specific info about how you obtained and installed the
extension.

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Adrian Klaver
On 01/24/2014 01:07 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> Query:
>
> SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
>
> ERROR:  function levenshtein_less_equal(unknown, unknown, integer) does not
> exist
> LINE 1: SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive', 'exhaustive',2);
>                 ^
> HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
> to add explicit type casts.
>
> Even this:
>
> SELECT levenshtein_less_equal('extensive'::TEXT,
> 'exhaustive'::TEXT,2::INTEGER);
> function levenshtein_less_equal(text, text, integer) does not exist
>
> But this works perfectly:
> SELECT levenshtein('extensive', 'exhaustive');
> 4

Are you sure you are connecting to a 9.1 server? levenshtein_less_equal
does not exist in 9.0- which would result in that error.

When you are in psql what does:

SELECT version();

and

\df  levenshtein_less_equal

show?

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Just this:

create extension fuzzystrmatch;

If the extension was not installed, then the simple levenstein distance
would not work either.

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Дата:
SELECT version();

and

\df  levenshtein_less_equal

"PostgreSQL 9.1.11 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-52), 64-bit"

routing_nw2=# \df  levenshtein_less_equal
                       List of functions
 Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types | Type

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/24/2014 01:19 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> Just this:
>
> create extension fuzzystrmatch;
>
> If the extension was not installed, then the simple levenstein distance
> would not work either.

Which is what makes me think you are not connecting to the server you
think you are.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Дата:
=# \dx
                 List of installed extensions
  Name   | Version |   Schema   |         Description
---------+---------+------------+------------------------------
 plpgsql | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
(1 row)

-# \df  levenshtein*
                           List of functions
 Schema |    Name     | Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
--------+-------------+------------------+---------------------+--------
 public | levenshtein | integer          | text, text          | normal
(1 row)

The server is in localhost. The binaries are from enterpriseDB. I also
downloaded src code for Postgres 9.1.11. Recompiled fuzzystrmatch, which
includes levenstein less_equal. Replaced .so file in Postgres installation
dir. Change in levenshtein limit of character successful.

It is not a compilation error, because I do not get  levenstein less_equal
in the Postgres 9.2 server which is exactly as  downloaded from
EnterpriseDB.

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On 01/24/2014 01:38 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> =# \dx List of installed extensions Name   | Version |   Schema   |
> Description
> ---------+---------+------------+------------------------------
> plpgsql | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language (1
> row)

According to this you have not CREATED fuzzystrmatch extension.

> -# \df  levenshtein* List of functions Schema |    Name     |
> Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
> --------+-------------+------------------+---------------------+--------

public | levenshtein | integer          | text, text          | normal
> (1 row)

> The server is in localhost. The binaries are from enterpriseDB. I
> also downloaded src code for Postgres 9.1.11. Recompiled
> fuzzystrmatch, which includes levenstein less_equal. Replaced .so
> file in Postgres installation dir. Change in levenshtein limit of
> character successful.
>
> It is not a compilation error, because I do not get  levenstein
> less_equal in the Postgres 9.2 server which is exactly as
> downloaded from EnterpriseDB.

Simply replacing an .so file is not going to make any new functions
available from SQL. Are you sure the "CREATE EXTENSION fuzzystrmatch"
you ran was successful? (it sure looks like it was not from the above)

The output of those commands should look like:

test=# \df  levenshtein*
                                              List of functions
-
--------+------------------------+------------------+------------------------------------------------+--------
 public | levenshtein            | integer          | text, text
                               | normal
 public | levenshtein            | integer          | text, text,
integer, integer, integer          | normal
 public | levenshtein_less_equal | integer          | text, text,
integer                            | normal
 public | levenshtein_less_equal | integer          | text, text,
integer, integer, integer, integer | normal
(4 rows)

test=# \dx
                                        List of installed extensions
     Name      | Version |   Schema   |
Description
-
---------------+---------+------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------
 fuzzystrmatch | 1.0     | public     | determine similarities and
distance between strings
 plpgsql       | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
(2 rows)

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/24/2014 01:38 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> =# \dx
>                   List of installed extensions
>    Name   | Version |   Schema   |         Description
> ---------+---------+------------+------------------------------
>   plpgsql | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
> (1 row)
>
> -# \df  levenshtein*
>                             List of functions
>   Schema |    Name     | Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
> --------+-------------+------------------+---------------------+--------
>   public | levenshtein | integer          | text, text          | normal
> (1 row)
>

> The server is in localhost. The binaries are from enterpriseDB. I also
> downloaded src code for Postgres 9.1.11. Recompiled fuzzystrmatch, which
> includes levenstein less_equal. Replaced .so file in Postgres installation
> dir. Change in levenshtein limit of character successful.
>
> It is not a compilation error, because I do not get  levenstein less_equal
> in the Postgres 9.2 server which is exactly as  downloaded from
> EnterpriseDB.

You realize fuzzystrmatch is a contrib package, not part of the core
code for Postgres?

I do not use the EnterpriseDB installer enough to be certain, but I am
fairly sure you can use the StackBuilder app to get and install the
package for you.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
alexandros_e
Дата:
With your help I found the solution. My DB was initially based on a 9.0
server and I had restored it on the 9.1 server. For some reason 9.0
fuzzystrmatch functions (levenstein...) were already present in this DB. So,
CREATE EXTENSION fuzzystrmatch did not work. I had to manually remove
function 9.0 fuzzystrmatch functions and then CREATE EXTENSION .... worked
perfectly and levenstein_less_equal as well. So, it was error from the DB
restored from an older version of postgresql.

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

Re: levenshtein_less_equal does not work

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/24/2014 02:07 PM, alexandros_e wrote:
> With your help I found the solution. My DB was initially based on a 9.0
> server and I had restored it on the 9.1 server. For some reason 9.0
> fuzzystrmatch functions (levenstein...) were already present in this DB. So,
> CREATE EXTENSION fuzzystrmatch did not work. I had to manually remove
> function 9.0 fuzzystrmatch functions and then CREATE EXTENSION .... worked
> perfectly and levenstein_less_equal as well. So, it was error from the DB
> restored from an older version of postgresql.

Just as well my advice turns out to be bogus. The contrib stuff is
already loaded into the share/ directory.