Обсуждение: pg_basebackup failing

pg_basebackup failing

От
Alan Nilsson
Дата:
Could someone give me some insight to the following error message:

[mqsql06:/Volumes/SQL_Set] _postgres% pg_basebackup --user=replicate --host=mqsql03 -xP -Fp --pgdata=pgsql
19439890/65873894 kB (29%), 1/1 tablespace
pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server: ERROR:  archive member "base/17040/25491" too large for tar format

I find the error message confusing since I have the format explicitly set to plain.  Is there a solution/workaround?  Can I break up the referenced file somehow?

I'ld rather use pg_basebackup over the backup mode->rsync->out of backup mode dance.

thanks
alan

Re: pg_basebackup failing

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Alan Nilsson <anilsson@apple.com> wrote:
> Could someone give me some insight to the following error message:
>
> [mqsql06:/Volumes/SQL_Set] _postgres% pg_basebackup --user=replicate
> --host=mqsql03 -xP -Fp --pgdata=pgsql
> 19439890/65873894 kB (29%), 1/1 tablespace
> pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server:
> ERROR:  archive member "base/17040/25491" too large for tar format
>
> I find the error message confusing since I have the format explicitly set to
> plain.
pg_basebackup fetches a full backup from server using tar all the time
for performance purposes to reduce the amount of data sent through the
stream. pg_basebackup contains some code to decode this tarball and
generate a plain format from it.
The error you are seeing is triggered because this relation file
exceeds MAX_TAR_MEMBER_FILELEN or 8GB for a single tar member, which
is as well the norm for tar.

> Is there a solution/workaround?
Not use a pg_basebackup but an external backup solution or a custom
script. Break this relation file into several pieces by doing some
partitions on it.
> Can I break up the referenced file somehow?
Partitions on the parent table.
Michael

Re: pg_basebackup failing

От
Sameer Kumar
Дата:
The error you are seeing is triggered because this relation file
exceeds MAX_TAR_MEMBER_FILELEN or 8GB for a single tar member, which
is as well the norm for tar.

I thought PostgreSQL would break the file if it grows beyond 1GB (1GB is segment size which one can modify while compiling). Am I missing something or have I got it totally wrong?

> Is there a solution/workaround?
Not use a pg_basebackup but an external backup solution or a custom
script. Break this relation file into several pieces by doing some
partitions on it.
> Can I break up the referenced file somehow?
Partitions on the parent table.

Which might have other implications on the performance if the queries do not use Partition key in where clause.

Best Regards,
Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.
101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533
M : +65 8110 0350 T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com
www.facebook.com/ashnikbiz | www.twitter.com/ashnikbiz

email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Вложения

Re: pg_basebackup failing

От
Magnus Hagander

On Jan 15, 2014 12:07 PM, "Sameer Kumar" <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

>> The error you are seeing is triggered because this relation file
>> exceeds MAX_TAR_MEMBER_FILELEN or 8GB for a single tar member, which
>> is as well the norm for tar.
>

> I thought PostgreSQL would break the file if it grows beyond 1GB (1GB is segment size which one can modify while compiling). Am I missing something or have I got it totally wrong?

Yeah, how did you actually end up with a file that size? Do you have any non standard compiler options set when you built your server?

/Magnus

Re: pg_basebackup failing

От
Michael Paquier

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:
The error you are seeing is triggered because this relation file
exceeds MAX_TAR_MEMBER_FILELEN or 8GB for a single tar member, which
is as well the norm for tar.

I thought PostgreSQL would break the file if it grows beyond 1GB (1GB is segment size which one can modify while compiling). Am I missing something or have I got it totally wrong?
No, you are missing nothing. Thanks for reminding :) (This is settable with ./configure --with-segsize)
So the build has been done with some uncommon option.
Michael

Re: pg_basebackup failing

От
Alan Nilsson