Обсуждение: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От
ramistuni
Дата:
Hi All, I am relatively new to postgres and need to upgrade postgres 9.1.1 to 9.1.10. As I understood from the documentation that "Upgrading to a minor release does not require a dump and restore; merely stop the database server, install the updated binaries, and restart the server" Is there any step by step instructions available to do this kind of migration? We are currently running "PostgreSQL 9.1.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51), 64-bit" We have 3 servers in production. Primary Standby (replication using streaming) Archive (uses slony) Thanks in advance

Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/21/2013 10:57 AM, ramistuni wrote:
> Hi All, I am relatively new to postgres and need to upgrade postgres
> 9.1.1 to 9.1.10. As I understood from the documentation that
> "Upgrading to a minor release does not require a dump and restore;
> merely stop the database server, install the updated binaries, and
> restart the server" Is there any step by step instructions available
> to do this kind of migration? We are currently running "PostgreSQL
> 9.1.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
> 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51), 64-bit" We have 3 servers in production.
> Primary Standby (replication using streaming) Archive (uses slony)
> Thanks in advance

were those postgres servers installed via yum?

if so, then simply doing...

     yum update postgresql91

followed by....

     service postgresql-9.1 restart

on each machine should suffice.   I believe the recommended order is to
upgrade the streaming slave first, then the master.  I don't know if
Slony matters either way (I've never used it)

when doing minor upgrades, you should always read ALL the release notes
for the versions greater than your existing and up to the new one you'll
be installing.   Looking at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release.html I see a couple of
the updates require reindexing, also some modifications to citext stuff
if you're using that.

Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От
David Johnston
Дата:
ramistuni wrote
> We are currently running "PostgreSQL 9.1.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
> compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51), 64-bit"

This is packaging (thus Linux Distro) concern and not that of PostgreSQL
proper.  As I use Ubuntu and you appear to be using a Red Hat variant I
cannot help with specifics but assuming you (or someone) installed
PostgreSQL from a (Yum?) package that same mechanism would be used to
perform the upgrade.

0) Ensure you have working backups
1) Shut down PostgreSQL on all three servers
2) Run the relevant package upgrade command on each of the servers
3) Start PostgreSQL on all three servers.

Not positive about the order but I would think:
Shutdown Primary, Standby, Archive
Startup Archive, Standby, Primary

Suggest you practice in a development/staging/testing virtual environment
(snapshot-update-revert) before performing on production machines.

David J.

Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От
ramistuni
Дата:
Thanks so much David and John for your quick responses.

These databases were recently transitioned to me from a team which are not
part of our organization any more.

Please bare with my knowledge, but is there any way to find if the past
installations were done using YUM?

We have been given VMs from some third party and we are responsible for
maintaining and installing the database on them.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От
John R Pierce