Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/21/2013 10:57 AM, ramistuni wrote:
> Hi All, I am relatively new to postgres and need to upgrade postgres
> 9.1.1 to 9.1.10. As I understood from the documentation that
> "Upgrading to a minor release does not require a dump and restore;
> merely stop the database server, install the updated binaries, and
> restart the server" Is there any step by step instructions available
> to do this kind of migration? We are currently running "PostgreSQL
> 9.1.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
> 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51), 64-bit" We have 3 servers in production.
> Primary Standby (replication using streaming) Archive (uses slony)
> Thanks in advance

were those postgres servers installed via yum?

if so, then simply doing...

     yum update postgresql91

followed by....

     service postgresql-9.1 restart

on each machine should suffice.   I believe the recommended order is to
upgrade the streaming slave first, then the master.  I don't know if
Slony matters either way (I've never used it)

when doing minor upgrades, you should always read ALL the release notes
for the versions greater than your existing and up to the new one you'll
be installing.   Looking at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release.html I see a couple of
the updates require reindexing, also some modifications to citext stuff
if you're using that.