Обсуждение: SQL for multimedia retrieval

SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
Olivier Austina
Дата:
Hi,

Can SQL be used to retrieve data from multimedia content such as audio, video, image, full text?
Regards
Olivier

Re: SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 7/27/2013 6:24 AM, Olivier Austina wrote:

> Can SQL be used to retrieve data from multimedia content such as
> audio, video, image, full text?

it can if the data is stored in the sql database.   however for large
files like video, I personally would prefer to store it in a file
system, and use SQL simply to reference it by filename.

Re: SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
Olivier Austina
Дата:
Hi John

It doesn't matter where the file is stored. I want to know if I can do some processing like find similar photos or how many a given word appear in the multimedia content ( e.g. an audio or video) using a query language such as SQL.

Regards
Olivier

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W

Re: SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 7/27/2013 10:28 AM, Olivier Austina wrote:
> Hi John
>
> It doesn't matter where the file is stored. I want to know if I can do
> some processing like find similar photos or how many a given word
> appear in the multimedia content ( e.g. an audio or video) using a
> query language such as SQL.

SQL does neither image nor speech recognition, which would be required
to do what you're describing.

identifying similar images is a unsolved problem in computer science.
natural speech recognition is still very rough, unless the speaker is
speaking slowly and clearly and has trained the recognition system.

now, postgresql DOES have full text search, and if you could run your
audio/video files through some sort of speech-to-text algorithm, and
store the plaintext, you could search that.

Re: SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
Rahila Syed
Дата:
Hello,

Yes. Multimedia data can be stored in PostgreSQL database using either bytea
and BLOB types. Depending on size either can be used. BLOB is meant for
storing large data.

Various interfaces are provided to access such data.
Following link can be referred for that.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/lo-interfaces.htm
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/lo-interfaces.htm>  l

Or another way to do it is to store the multimedia files in filesystem and
use database to store metadata about them to make them easily accessible.

Re: SQL for multimedia retrieval

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Olivier Austina
<olivier.austina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can SQL be used to retrieve data from multimedia content such as audio,
> video, image, full text?
> Regards
> Olivier

I am not sure if this is really helpful but anyway, if you are willing
to spend some efforts on getting multimedia content retrieval to work
in PostgreSQL, you could use GiST
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/gist.html) and write custom
indexing methods. These methods would define your content retrieval
criteria while GiST itself provides an interface so that you could
store and retrieve the indexed content using PostgreSQL.

--
Amit Langote