Обсуждение: table spaces

table spaces

От
Gregg Jaskiewicz
Дата:
Performance related question.
With Linux (centos 6.3+), 64bit, ext4 in mind, how would you guys go about distributing write load across disks.

Lets say I have quite few disks, and I can partition them the way I want, in mirror configuration (to get some hardware failure resilience). Should I separate tables from indexes onto separate raids ?

I know WAL has to go on a separate disk, for added performance.

I'm looking for your experiences, and most importantly how do you go about deciding which way is best. I.e. which combinations make sense to try out first, short of all permutations :-)

Thanks.

--
GJ

Re: table spaces

От
Bèrto ëd Sèra
Дата:
Hi Gregg

yes, keep the indexes on a separate channel. Much depends on how the
data is mapped and accessed, sometimes even distributing the data
itself onto different spaces may do good.

If you use a lot of logging (say you feed a massive pgFouine
activity), you would want to have that on yet another separate
channel, too.

There is no universal bullet for this, iostat will eventually tell you
whether your load distribution is good enough, or not.

Cheers
Bèrto

--
==============================
If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a

Re: table spaces

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Performance related question.
> With Linux (centos 6.3+), 64bit, ext4 in mind, how would you guys go about
> distributing write load across disks.
>
> Lets say I have quite few disks, and I can partition them the way I want, in
> mirror configuration (to get some hardware failure resilience). Should I
> separate tables from indexes onto separate raids ?
>
> I know WAL has to go on a separate disk, for added performance.
>
> I'm looking for your experiences, and most importantly how do you go about
> deciding which way is best. I.e. which combinations make sense to try out
> first, short of all permutations :-)

First get a baseline for how things work with just pg_xlog on one
small set (RAID 1 is often plenty) and RAID-10 on all the rest with
all the data (i.e. base directory) there. With a fast HW RAID
controller this is often just about as fast as any amount of breaking
things out will be. But if you do break things out and they are fster
then you'll know by how much. If it's slower then you know you've got
a really busy set and some not so busy ones. And so on...

Re: table spaces

От
Gregg Jaskiewicz

First get a baseline for how things work with just pg_xlog on one
small set (RAID 1 is often plenty) and RAID-10 on all the rest with
all the data (i.e. base directory) there. With a fast HW RAID
controller this is often just about as fast as any amount of breaking
things out will be. But if you do break things out and they are fster
then you'll know by how much. If it's slower then you know you've got
a really busy set and some not so busy ones. And so on...
(side note, google mail in their infinite evilness make it tricky if not careful to reply below post using their webapp, beware).

I might have a table that needs some heavy writes, and while it doesn't necessarily have to be fast TPS wise, I don't want it to bog down rest of the database.
Reads are ok, as I'm planning for the DB to fit in RAM cache, so once read - it will be there - more or less.
It's distributing writes that I care about mostly.

I'll try iostat, whilst running characterisation scenarios. That was my plan anyway.
I had no idea separating indexes from tables might help too. Would have thought, they both are interconnected so much in the code, that dividing them up won't help as much.

What about table partitioning ? For heavy writes, would some sort of a strategy there make difference ?

--
GJ

Re: table spaces

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 March 2013 02:19, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First get a baseline for how things work with just pg_xlog on one
>> small set (RAID 1 is often plenty) and RAID-10 on all the rest with
>> all the data (i.e. base directory) there. With a fast HW RAID
>> controller this is often just about as fast as any amount of breaking
>> things out will be. But if you do break things out and they are fster
>> then you'll know by how much. If it's slower then you know you've got
>> a really busy set and some not so busy ones. And so on...
>
> (side note, google mail in their infinite evilness make it tricky if not
> careful to reply below post using their webapp, beware).
>
> I might have a table that needs some heavy writes, and while it doesn't
> necessarily have to be fast TPS wise, I don't want it to bog down rest of
> the database.
> Reads are ok, as I'm planning for the DB to fit in RAM cache, so once read -
> it will be there - more or less.
> It's distributing writes that I care about mostly.

A large drive set with a HW caching RAID controller is usually pretty
good at that. There are times breaking the data up onto separate disks
help.  Often what happens is that when you split your data up one set
or another gets suboptimal performance by having fewer drives
available to it etc. So at least have a benchmark of all the disks
together first to compare to.  Often it's nice to have two machines
one with one big array and one you can reconfigured to test on to
compare with in real time.

> I'll try iostat, whilst running characterisation scenarios. That was my plan
> anyway.
> I had no idea separating indexes from tables might help too. Would have
> thought, they both are interconnected so much in the code, that dividing
> them up won't help as much.

It can definitely help if you only have a few drives. The more drives
you have the less each read or write is likely to bump into another
read or write on the same drive.  I.e. as the number of drives
approaches infinity the chance of collision is zero.

> What about table partitioning ? For heavy writes, would some sort of a
> strategy there make difference ?

Partitioning is more about handling large data sets and splitting off
the most used parts into separate partitions so you're not
sequentially scanning a huge data set to get to the small, more
commonly used parts.

Re: table spaces

От
Gregg Jaskiewicz
Дата:
Ok,

So by that token (more drives the better), I should have raid 5 (or whichever will work) with all 6 drives in it ?

I was thinking about splitting it up like this. I have 6 drives (and one spare). Combine them into 3 separate logical drives in mirrored configuration (for some hardware redundancy).
And use one for base system, and some less frequently read tables, second one for WAL, third one for whatever tables/indexes happen to need separate space (subject to characterisation outcome).

I was basically under impression that separating WAL is a big plus. On top of that, having separate partition to hold some other data - will do too.
But it sounds - from what you said - like having all in single logical drive will work, because raid card will spread the load amongst number of drives.
Am I understanding that correctly ?

Re: table spaces

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 3/12/2013 2:31 PM, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:
> I was basically under impression that separating WAL is a big plus. On
> top of that, having separate partition to hold some other data - will
> do too.
> But it sounds - from what you said - like having all in single logical
> drive will work, because raid card will spread the load amongst number
> of drives.
> Am I understanding that correctly ?

both those models have merits.

doing a single raid 10 should fairly evenly distribute the IO workload
given adequate concurrency, and suitable stripe size and alignment.
there are scenarios where a hand tuned spindle layout can be more
efficient, but there's also the possibility of getting write bound on
any one of those 3 seperate raid1's, and having other disks sitting idle.

Re: table spaces

От
Gregg Jaskiewicz

I was basically under impression that separating WAL is a big plus. On top of that, having separate partition to hold some other data - will do too.
But it sounds - from what you said - like having all in single logical drive will work, because raid card will spread the load amongst number of drives.
Am I understanding that correctly ?

both those models have merits.

doing a single raid 10 should fairly evenly distribute the IO workload given adequate concurrency, and suitable stripe size and alignment.     there are scenarios where a hand tuned spindle layout can be more efficient, but there's also the possibility of getting write bound on any one of those 3 seperate raid1's, and having other disks sitting idle.

I'm trying to get an understanding of all options.

So out of 6 disks then having 4 in Raid 1+0 configuration and other two in mirror for WAL. That's another option then for me to test.

Re: table spaces

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата: