Re: table spaces

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: table spaces
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/12/2013 2:31 PM, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:
> I was basically under impression that separating WAL is a big plus. On
> top of that, having separate partition to hold some other data - will
> do too.
> But it sounds - from what you said - like having all in single logical
> drive will work, because raid card will spread the load amongst number
> of drives.
> Am I understanding that correctly ?

both those models have merits.

doing a single raid 10 should fairly evenly distribute the IO workload
given adequate concurrency, and suitable stripe size and alignment.
there are scenarios where a hand tuned spindle layout can be more
efficient, but there's also the possibility of getting write bound on
any one of those 3 seperate raid1's, and having other disks sitting idle.