Обсуждение: Backslashitis

Backslashitis

От
hamann.w@t-online.de
Дата:
Hi,

I have a column declared as array of text. I can get a single backslash into one of the array elements by
update ... set mycol[1] = E'blah \\here'
If I try to update the whole array
update ... set mycol = E'{"blah \\here"}'
the backslash is missing. I can get two backslashes there.
Is there a good way to solve the problem, other than rewriting my update script to do array updates one element at a
time?

Regards
Wolfgang Hamann

Re: Backslashitis

От
Raghavendra
Дата:
I think you need to double the quotes. Its mentioned in the PG documention

Eg:-

postgres=# update array_test set name=E'{"meet\\\\ing"}';
UPDATE 2
postgres=# select * from array_test ;
     name
---------------
 {"meet\\ing"}
 {"meet\\ing"}
(2 rows)

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

I have a column declared as array of text. I can get a single backslash into one of the array elements by
update ... set mycol[1] = E'blah \\here'
If I try to update the whole array
update ... set mycol = E'{"blah \\here"}'
the backslash is missing. I can get two backslashes there.
Is there a good way to solve the problem, other than rewriting my update script to do array updates one element at a time?

Regards
Wolfgang Hamann

Re: Backslashitis

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
hamann.w@t-online.de, 14.06.2012 10:17:
> Hi,
>
> I have a column declared as array of text. I can get a single backslash into one of the array elements by
> update ... set mycol[1] = E'blah \\here'
> If I try to update the whole array
> update ... set mycol = E'{"blah \\here"}'
> the backslash is missing. I can get two backslashes there.
> Is there a good way to solve the problem, other than rewriting my update script to do array updates one element at a
time?

Setting

     standard_conforming_strings = true

should do the trick.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-compatible.html#GUC-STANDARD-CONFORMING-STRINGS

In that case you don't need any escaping inside the string literals.

Regards
Thomas

Re: Backslashitis

От
Raghavendra

I have a column declared as array of text. I can get a single backslash into one of the array elements by
update ... set mycol[1] = E'blah \\here'
If I try to update the whole array
update ... set mycol = E'{"blah \\here"}'
the backslash is missing. I can get two backslashes there.
Is there a good way to solve the problem, other than rewriting my update script to do array updates one element at a time?

Setting
      standard_conforming_strings = true

should do the trick.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-compatible.html#GUC-STANDARD-CONFORMING-STRINGS

In that case you don't need any escaping inside the string literals.

Regards
Thomas

Nope..

postgres=# show standard_conforming_strings ;
 standard_conforming_strings
-----------------------------
 on
(1 row)
postgres=# set standard_conforming_strings =on;
SET
postgres=# show standard_conforming_strings ;
 standard_conforming_strings
-----------------------------
 on
(1 row)
postgres=# update array_test set name=E'{"meet\\ing"}';
UPDATE 2
postgres=# select * from array_test ;
   name
-----------
 {meeting}
 {meeting}
(2 rows)

Correct me, if anything wrong.

--Raghav

Re: Backslashitis

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
On 14 June 2012 10:03, Raghavendra <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> hamann.w@t-online.de, 14.06.2012 10:17:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a column declared as array of text. I can get a single backslash
>>> into one of the array elements by
>>> update ... set mycol[1] = E'blah \\here'
>>> If I try to update the whole array
>>> update ... set mycol = E'{"blah \\here"}'
>>> the backslash is missing. I can get two backslashes there.
>>> Is there a good way to solve the problem, other than rewriting my update
>>> script to do array updates one element at a time?
>>>

>> Setting
>>       standard_conforming_strings = true
>>
>> should do the trick.
>>

>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-compatible.html#GUC-STANDARD-CONFORMING-STRINGS
>>
>> In that case you don't need any escaping inside the string literals.
>>
>> Regards
>> Thomas
>>

> Nope..
>
> postgres=# show standard_conforming_strings ;
>  standard_conforming_strings
> -----------------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
> postgres=# set standard_conforming_strings =on;
> SET
> postgres=# show standard_conforming_strings ;
>  standard_conforming_strings
> -----------------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
> postgres=# update array_test set name=E'{"meet\\ing"}';
> UPDATE 2
> postgres=# select * from array_test ;
>    name
> -----------
>  {meeting}
>  {meeting}
> (2 rows)
>
> Correct me, if anything wrong.
>
> --Raghav

With standard conforming strings on, you could use any of the following:

update foo set a= E'{"blah \\\\here"}';
update foo set a= '{"blah \\here"}';
update foo set a= ARRAY[E'blah \\here'];
update foo set a= ARRAY['blah \here'];

I tend to prefer the ARRAY[...] constructor syntax because it doesn't
require any additional escaping of individual elements.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-STRINGS-ESCAPE

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-expressions.html#SQL-SYNTAX-ARRAY-CONSTRUCTORS

Regards,
Dean

Re: Backslashitis

От
Raghavendra
Дата:
With standard conforming strings on, you could use any of the following:

update foo set a= E'{"blah \\\\here"}';
update foo set a= '{"blah \\here"}';
update foo set a= ARRAY[E'blah \\here'];
update foo set a= ARRAY['blah \here'];

I tend to prefer the ARRAY[...] constructor syntax because it doesn't
require any additional escaping of individual elements.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-STRINGS-ESCAPE

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-expressions.html#SQL-SYNTAX-ARRAY-CONSTRUCTORS

Regards,
Dean