Обсуждение: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От
Scott Briggs
Дата:
Hi, so I have a master-slave set of database servers that are running
postgres 9.0 using streaming replication and I'd like to migrate them
to 9.1.  My question is, can 9.0 do streaming replication to 9.1?  If
not, what's the best way to upgrade a production database to 9.1 with
no downtime?

I also have a number of 8.4 servers that I'd like to upgrade to 9.1,
can 8.4 ship WAL files to 9.1?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:10 -0400, Scott Briggs wrote:
> Hi, so I have a master-slave set of database servers that are running
> postgres 9.0 using streaming replication and I'd like to migrate them
> to 9.1.  My question is, can 9.0 do streaming replication to 9.1?

No.

>   If
> not, what's the best way to upgrade a production database to 9.1 with
> no downtime?

No downtime? you'll obviously have downtime to get the new binaries.
Anyway, you should try pg_upgrade to have less downtime.

> I also have a number of 8.4 servers that I'd like to upgrade to 9.1,
> can 8.4 ship WAL files to 9.1?

Nope. Streaming replication doesn't work between major versions.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От
Scott Briggs
Дата:
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:10 -0400, Scott Briggs wrote:
>> Hi, so I have a master-slave set of database servers that are running
>> postgres 9.0 using streaming replication and I'd like to migrate them
>> to 9.1.  My question is, can 9.0 do streaming replication to 9.1?
>
> No.
>
>>   If
>> not, what's the best way to upgrade a production database to 9.1 with
>> no downtime?
>>

> No downtime? you'll obviously have downtime to get the new binaries.
> Anyway, you should try pg_upgrade to have less downtime.

Let me clarify, no downtime meaning I will be failing over from the
current server running 9.0 to a new server running 9.1.

>> I also have a number of 8.4 servers that I'd like to upgrade to 9.1,
>> can 8.4 ship WAL files to 9.1?
>>

> Nope. Streaming replication doesn't work between major versions.

Since 8.4 doesn't do streaming replication, I'm asking about shipping
WAL files via the archive command using rsync.  This is our current
replication setup for most of our older postgres servers.

> --
> Guillaume
> http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
> http://www.dalibo.com

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 07/05/2012 20:37, Scott Briggs wrote:

> Let me clarify, no downtime meaning I will be failing over from the
> current server running 9.0 to a new server running 9.1.

This is one of the scenarios that Slony-I is designed to handle; it may
be worth a look.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:37 -0400, Scott Briggs wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:10 -0400, Scott Briggs wrote:
> >> Hi, so I have a master-slave set of database servers that are running
> >> postgres 9.0 using streaming replication and I'd like to migrate them
> >> to 9.1.  My question is, can 9.0 do streaming replication to 9.1?
> >
> > No.
> >
> >>   If
> >> not, what's the best way to upgrade a production database to 9.1 with
> >> no downtime?
> >>

> > No downtime? you'll obviously have downtime to get the new binaries.
> > Anyway, you should try pg_upgrade to have less downtime.
>
> Let me clarify, no downtime meaning I will be failing over from the
> current server running 9.0 to a new server running 9.1.

pg_upgrade or Slony as Raymond already told you. pg_upgrade is newer but
easier, Slony is older, probably with less bugs, but hardier. Your
choice :)

> >> I also have a number of 8.4 servers that I'd like to upgrade to 9.1,
> >> can 8.4 ship WAL files to 9.1?
> >>

> > Nope. Streaming replication doesn't work between major versions.
>
> Since 8.4 doesn't do streaming replication,

Sure.

>  I'm asking about shipping
> WAL files via the archive command using rsync.  This is our current
> replication setup for most of our older postgres servers.

Let me rephrase it... log shipping and streaming replication don't work
between major versions.