Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1

От Scott Briggs
Тема Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1
Дата
Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:10 -0400, Scott Briggs wrote:
>> Hi, so I have a master-slave set of database servers that are running
>> postgres 9.0 using streaming replication and I'd like to migrate them
>> to 9.1.  My question is, can 9.0 do streaming replication to 9.1?
>
> No.
>
>>   If
>> not, what's the best way to upgrade a production database to 9.1 with
>> no downtime?
>>

> No downtime? you'll obviously have downtime to get the new binaries.
> Anyway, you should try pg_upgrade to have less downtime.

Let me clarify, no downtime meaning I will be failing over from the
current server running 9.0 to a new server running 9.1.

>> I also have a number of 8.4 servers that I'd like to upgrade to 9.1,
>> can 8.4 ship WAL files to 9.1?
>>

> Nope. Streaming replication doesn't work between major versions.

Since 8.4 doesn't do streaming replication, I'm asking about shipping
WAL files via the archive command using rsync.  This is our current
replication setup for most of our older postgres servers.

> --
> Guillaume
> http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
> http://www.dalibo.com

Thanks,
Scott

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from 8.4 and 9.0 to 9.1