Обсуждение: What is the best way to force character data to upper case

What is the best way to force character data to upper case

От
"Dennis"

I am wondering what the best way is to force character data to a specific case, like upper case for example.   Is a trigger or rule the only option?  Would a check constraint be better or faster than using rules or triggers, knowing that a check constraint puts the onus back on the client code to ensure the data is in the correct case?

Re: What is the best way to force character data to upper case

От
Chris Travers

I am wondering what the best way is to force character data to a specific case, like upper case for example.   Is a trigger or rule the only option?  Would a check constraint be better or faster than using rules or triggers, knowing that a check constraint puts the onus back on the client code to ensure the data is in the correct case?

For something like this I would think triggers would be more robust and I wouldn't expect the performance overhead to be that great.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: What is the best way to force character data to upper case

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 02/02/2012 06:09, Dennis wrote:
> I am wondering what the best way is to force character data to a
> specific case, like upper case for example.   Is a trigger or rule the
> only option?  Would a check constraint be better or faster than using
> rules or triggers, knowing that a check constraint puts the onus back on
> the client code to ensure the data is in the correct case?

Use the upper() function.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-string.html

Ray.

--