Обсуждение: Replication Across Two Servers?

Replication Across Two Servers?

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата:
We had a 8.4.8 production server of PostgreSQL on a Dell blade server
which ran for 3 years fine. The server housed all our database needs
perfectly but sadly the entire machine died. The drives were dead and
the motherboard was fried but we did have daily full backups of the
entire machine. Today I received our new blade servers which will run
VMware & I get to create two new PostgreSQL servers. I wanted to make
a master database server and a slave in case the master dies. My
question is does PostgreSQL 8.4 or 9.1support synchronization between
two physical machines over Ethernet? I've never replicated any kind of
database before so I don't know if that's possible and the more I
search this on my own, the more confused I am. It appears in
PostgreSQL, the word "replication" has several different meanings.

If you had to stand up two individual Debian Linux servers running a
specific version of PostgreSQL, could / would you be able to have the
master also synchronize all data to a slave server?

Thanks for any info!

Re: Replication Across Two Servers?

От
Brandon Phelps
Дата:
Carlos,

Streaming replication was introduced in PostgreSQL 9.0 and should do
what you want.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication

On 11/04/2011 11:47 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> We had a 8.4.8 production server of PostgreSQL on a Dell blade server
> which ran for 3 years fine. The server housed all our database needs
> perfectly but sadly the entire machine died. The drives were dead and
> the motherboard was fried but we did have daily full backups of the
> entire machine. Today I received our new blade servers which will run
> VMware&  I get to create two new PostgreSQL servers. I wanted to make
> a master database server and a slave in case the master dies. My
> question is does PostgreSQL 8.4 or 9.1support synchronization between
> two physical machines over Ethernet? I've never replicated any kind of
> database before so I don't know if that's possible and the more I
> search this on my own, the more confused I am. It appears in
> PostgreSQL, the word "replication" has several different meanings.
>
> If you had to stand up two individual Debian Linux servers running a
> specific version of PostgreSQL, could / would you be able to have the
> master also synchronize all data to a slave server?
>
> Thanks for any info!

Re: Replication Across Two Servers?

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Brandon Phelps <bphelps@gls.com> wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> Streaming replication was introduced in PostgreSQL 9.0 and should do what
> you want.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication

Oh great! I didn't see that in the 8.4 manual since that is what
Debian 6 has as the most stable version in it's package manager.
Anyone know of a stable Linux distribution that offers 9.0+? I know
Debian Wheezy (testing) has 9.1 but sadly it's testing and not
recommended for production utilization. RHEL is years behind as far as
packages go which makes them stable to an annoying degree.

Re: Replication Across Two Servers?

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата: