Обсуждение: What is postgresql status?

What is postgresql status?

От
"Mcleod, John"

Hello all,

Don't shoot me, I'm just the fella sweeping up after a departure.

I'm supporting a web site with mapping features using Mapserver and PostgreSql 7.5 for windows.

Recently, my mapping features went down.

Error messages that display are the following…

Warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR: xlog flush request 0/34D85078 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 0/34CD4518 CONTEXT: writing block 0 of relation 394198/412173 in C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\davison\mapping\gis1\viewparcel_nolink.php on line 10

Warning: pg_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid PostgreSQL result resource in C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\davison\mapping\gis1\viewparcel_nolink.php on line 12

It looks to me that the query failed based on a hard drive issue.  Well, over the weekend we swapped out the hard drive for new.  The site comes back fine but I'm still receiving the error.

Another notice is when I shutdown and restart the database, I get this…

C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win>cd c:\

C:\>cd ms4w/apps/pgsql75win/data/

C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win\data>del postmaster.pid

Could Not Find C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win\data\postmaster.pid

LOG:  database system was shut down at 2011-08-24 17:30:14 Eastern Standard Time

LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/34CD4078

LOG:  redo record is at 0/34CD4078; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

LOG:  next transaction ID: 1198832; next OID: 1772830

LOG:  database system is ready

I'm not sure if the database is up or not.

I don't even see postgresql or mapserver as Windows services.

I'm very confused.

Thank you for any help with this continuing problem.

John

John W. McLeod

Technology Integrator

Spicer Group, Inc.

230 S. Washington Avenue

Saginaw, MI  48607

Phone:  (989) 921-5550

Fax:       (989) 754-4440

mailto: johnm@spicergroup.com

www.spicergroup.com

Stronger. Safer. Smarter. Spicer.

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 24/08/2011 19:53, Mcleod, John wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Don't shoot me, I'm just the fella sweeping up after a departure.
>
> I'm supporting a web site with mapping features using Mapserver and
> PostgreSql 7.5 for windows.

There never was a PostgreSQL 7.5 release - it was changed to 8.0 at some
point. Is this what you have?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
On 24/08/2011 19:53, Mcleod, John wrote:
> C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win>cd c:\
>
> C:\>cd ms4w/apps/pgsql75win/data/
>
> C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win\data>del postmaster.pid
>
> Could Not Find C:\ms4w\apps\pgsql75win\data\postmaster.pid
>
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2011-08-24 17:30:14 Eastern
> Standard Time
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/34CD4078
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/34CD4078; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction ID: 1198832; next OID: 1772830
> LOG:  database system is ready
>

> I'm not sure if the database is up or not.
> I don't even see postgresql or mapserver as Windows services.

From the above I'd guess that Postgres isn't installed as a service, but
is being run from a batch file. Postgres writes a small text file with
its process ID in the data directory while it's running, and that's what
the first line above is trying to delete - but PG removed it when it was
shut down, so the DEL command isn't finding it.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 24/08/2011 19:53, Mcleod, John wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Don't shoot me, I'm just the fella sweeping up after a departure.
>>
>> I'm supporting a web site with mapping features using Mapserver and
>> PostgreSql 7.5 for windows.
>
> There never was a PostgreSQL 7.5 release - it was changed to 8.0 at some
> point. Is this what you have?

it is -- once every couple of months a windows user wanders in that's
running 7.5 (alpha).  There was so much pent up anticipation for the
windows port that some people couldn't wait and adopted.

OP -- take a database dump ASAP and migrate to either 8.2 or 9.0.

merlin

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 08/24/11 12:14 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> OP -- take a database dump ASAP and migrate to either 8.2 or 9.0.

one caveat, 8.4 (and 9.0) tightened up considerably the rules for
implicit typecasting as there were a number of serious ambiguities in
the sloppy way it was done before.... so code written for an earlier
version might throw some SQL errors when migrated to 8.4 or 9.0+ ....
these errors are generally quite easy to fix... cast to integer here,
cast to text there, done.

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 08/24/11 12:14 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>
>> OP -- take a database dump ASAP and migrate to either 8.2 or 9.0.
>
> one caveat, 8.4 (and 9.0) tightened up considerably the rules for implicit
> typecasting as there were a number of serious ambiguities in the sloppy way
> it was done before.... so code written for an earlier version might throw
> some SQL errors when migrated to 8.4 or 9.0+ .... these errors are generally
> quite easy to fix... cast to integer here, cast to text there, done.

it was in fact 8.3 that tightened them -- which why I suggested 8.2 :-).

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Mcleod, John <johnm@spicergroup.com> wrote:
> I talked with the guy that left me this mess and here's his reasoning behind NOT upgrading.
>
> "7.5 was the last version that used a text field for the geometries.  All the new versions of postgis(postgresql) use
abinary field for the geometries."

> I'm so new at this that I'm not sure if he's right or not.

That sounds accurate.  However, I'm not sure if that issue, which can
be worked around without *too* much effort, justifies running a known
broken out of support alpha release.   I'm amazed you've made it this
far without losing data.

merlin

Re: What is postgresql status?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> be worked around without *too* much effort, justifies running a known
> broken

Anything before 8.2 is considered broken, unfixable, not going to be
fixed as far as windows is concerned.

Re: What is postgresql status?

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>> be worked around without *too* much effort, justifies running a known
>> broken

> Anything before 8.2 is considered broken, unfixable, not going to be
> fixed as far as windows is concerned.

Actually, anything before 8.2 is out of support on all platforms now.
But running pre-alpha 8.0 on Windows is really seriously dangerous;
the list of now-known bugs in that immature port will curl your toes.
I second the advice to the OP to get off that version *now*.
8.2.some-recent-minor-release is the minimum version you should be
running if you're on Windows.

            regards, tom lane