Re: What is postgresql status?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: What is postgresql status?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 08/24/11 12:14 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>
>> OP -- take a database dump ASAP and migrate to either 8.2 or 9.0.
>
> one caveat, 8.4 (and 9.0) tightened up considerably the rules for implicit
> typecasting as there were a number of serious ambiguities in the sloppy way
> it was done before.... so code written for an earlier version might throw
> some SQL errors when migrated to 8.4 or 9.0+ .... these errors are generally
> quite easy to fix... cast to integer here, cast to text there, done.

it was in fact 8.3 that tightened them -- which why I suggested 8.2 :-).

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Mcleod, John <johnm@spicergroup.com> wrote:
> I talked with the guy that left me this mess and here's his reasoning behind NOT upgrading.
>
> "7.5 was the last version that used a text field for the geometries.  All the new versions of postgis(postgresql) use
abinary field for the geometries."

> I'm so new at this that I'm not sure if he's right or not.

That sounds accurate.  However, I'm not sure if that issue, which can
be worked around without *too* much effort, justifies running a known
broken out of support alpha release.   I'm amazed you've made it this
far without losing data.

merlin