Обсуждение: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
akp geek
Дата:
Hi all -

              I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able to find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about this ? Thanks for your help

LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

Regards

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
tv@fuzzy.cz
Дата:
> Hi all -
>
>               I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able
> find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about
> this
> ? Thanks for your help
>

> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

This means the client application is dropping the connection unexpectedly.
You have to find the application and fix it - a good log_line_prefix may
be a good way to find the application (e.g. "%t %u@%d %r" or something
like that).

Not too long ago I've received a lot of these when the apache http server
went crazy after an update and was dropping the connections (opened by a
PHP application) for some reason.

regards
Tomas

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM,  <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>>               I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able
>> find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about
>> this
>> ? Thanks for your help
>>

>> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> This means the client application is dropping the connection unexpectedly.
> You have to find the application and fix it - a good log_line_prefix may
> be a good way to find the application (e.g. "%t %u@%d %r" or something
> like that).

Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
Ben Carbery

Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.

I don't think so.. EOF is an explicit termination, not a timeout as would caused by a firewall dropping traffic. It's more like what happens when the remote process on the client is killed for example. Postgres probably expects to see some kind of "quit" command prior to receiving the EOF.

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Ben Carbery <ben.carbery@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
>> dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.
>>

> I don't think so.. EOF is an explicit termination, not a timeout as would
> caused by a firewall dropping traffic. It's more like what happens when the
> remote process on the client is killed for example. Postgres probably
> expects to see some kind of "quit" command prior to receiving the EOF.

Well, this is exactly the error I used to get when the problem was
having a firewall timeout between client and server at my last job.
The fix there was to play with the tcp_keepalive settings

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

От
Brar Piening
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:57:31 -0400, akp geek <akpgeek@gmail.com> wrote:

> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

Npgsql is a very potent EOF-Generator if the client app doesn't properly
close (or dispose explicitly) connections.

see
http://fxjr.blogspot.com/2010/04/npgsql-connection-pool-explained.html

Regards,

Brar