Обсуждение: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

От
Daniel Migowski
Дата:
Hi, dear postgres developers,

A small investigation showed to me that bzip2 compressed sql files take only 60% of the space of gz compressed files. Since bzip2 is fairly common today, could one add an option to pg_dump and pg_restore supporting this compression type in their custom format? Or do the PostgreSQL folks prefer no to do that regarding backwards compatibility?

Regards,
Daniel Migowski

--
IKOffice
UNTERNEHMENSSOFTWARE

Mail:dmigowski@ikoffice.de
Nordstrasse 10Tel.:+49 (0)441 21 98 89 52
26135 OldenburgFax.:+49 (0)441 21 98 89 55
http://www.ikoffice.deMob.:+49 (0)176 22 31 20 76

Geschäftsführer:Ingo Kuhlmann, Daniel Migowski
Amtsgericht Oldenburg:HRB 201467
Steuernummer:64/211/01864

Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

От
Adrian von Bidder
Дата:
Heyho!

On Friday 13 August 2010 10.57:13 Daniel Migowski wrote:
> A small investigation showed to me that bzip2 compressed sql files take
> only 60% of the space of gz compressed files.

But bzip2 is very slow.  I think if there should be changes to the data
compression, xz is probably the future.  xz is said to be similar to bzip2
in terms of compression ratio, but much faster.

cheers
-- vbi

--
And those meanies used what we said to you and they misconstrued it to
mean what we said, and that's so unfair.

Вложения

Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
pg_dumpall | bzip2 > mydump.txt.bz2

bunzip2 -kc mydump.txt.bz2 | bin/psql template1

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Daniel Migowski wrote:
A small investigation showed to me that bzip2 compressed sql files take only 60% of the space of gz compressed files. Since bzip2 is fairly common today, could one add an option to pg_dump and pg_restore supporting this compression type in their custom format? Or do the PostgreSQL folks prefer no to do that regarding backwards compatibility?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#Why_aren.27t_there_more_compression_options_when_dumping_tables.3F
now has a first round answer to this topic, one that addresses the things that pop up every time this discussion is raised.  There are speed, code quality, code license, and patent issues all making this much harder to change than is obvious at first.

Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

Дата:
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Daniel Migowski wrote:
>> A small investigation showed to me that bzip2 compressed sql files
>> take only 60% of the space of gz compressed files. Since bzip2 is
>> fairly common today, could one add an option to pg_dump and pg_restore
>> supporting this compression type in their custom format? Or do the
>> PostgreSQL folks prefer no to do that regarding backwards compatibility?

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#Why_aren.27t_there_more_compression_options_when_dumping_tables.3F
> now has a first round answer to this topic, one that addresses the
> things that pop up every time this discussion is raised.  There are
> speed, code quality, code license, and patent issues all making this
> much harder to change than is obvious at first.

Looks good.  I added the point that pg_dump output has to be readable
far into the future, so conservatism in what we support is a good thing.

            regards, tom lane