Обсуждение: Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....

Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....

От
노현석

hi..

when using oracle sqlplus..  we can specify   password.
$ sqlplus system/manager

Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using  psql....

$ psql -p 5432 -h rac2 -d mydb -U hsnoh
Password for user hsnoh:

Thanks..

Re: Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 01:35:58PM +0900, 노현석 wrote:
> hi..
>
> when using oracle sqlplus.. we can specify password.
> $ sqlplus system/manager
>
> Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....
> $ psql -p 5432 -h rac2 -d mydb -U hsnoh
> Password for user hsnoh:
>
> Thanks..

Overall, it's better to use a .pgpass (pgpass.conf on Windows)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-pgpass.html

It's also possible, but not recommended, to set an environment
variable.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....

Дата:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 01:35:58PM +0900, 노현석 wrote:
>> when using oracle sqlplus.. we can specify password.
>> $ sqlplus system/manager
>>
>> Could you teach me, How can we specify password when using psql....
>> $ psql -p 5432 -h rac2 -d mydb -U hsnoh
>> Password for user hsnoh:

> Overall, it's better to use a .pgpass (pgpass.conf on Windows)

The reason why psql doesn't have that is that putting a password
directly on the command line is a security hole: any other process
on the machine can see psql's command line, on most platforms.

It's a security hole for Oracle, too --- you shouldn't be doing
things that way.

            regards, tom lane