Обсуждение: How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
Hi,

I'am trying to import an SQL file with 3gb of INSERTS. I must to change the encode of the file to UTF8, how can I change the encode of the file without open it? This 3gb file crashes every program...

Give me a clue.

Best Regards,

Re: How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'am trying to import an SQL file with 3gb of INSERTS. I must to change the
> encode of the file to UTF8, how can I change the encode of the file without
> open it? This 3gb file crashes every program...

Has iconv been any help?

Re: How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

От
zhong ming wu
Дата:
Will running the following on your file useful

http://www.gnu.org/software/recode/

It helped me with a pg_dump file in the past

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'am trying to import an SQL file with 3gb of INSERTS. I must to change the
> encode of the file to UTF8, how can I change the encode of the file without
> open it? This 3gb file crashes every program...
>
> Give me a clue.
>
> Best Regards,

Re: How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

От
manitou-sig@sd-9404.dedibox.fr
Дата:
    Andre Lopes wrote:

> I'am trying to import an SQL file with 3gb of INSERTS. I must to change the
> encode of the file to UTF8, how can I change the encode of the file without
> open it? This 3gb file crashes every program...
>
> Give me a clue.

I'd use recode:  http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/index.html
It can recode large files without needing much memory.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org

Re: How to change the file encoding of a 3gb file?

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
Hi,

I'm just guessing.

If you have a database in UTF8 and your SQL-file in some encoding so
what about doing this:

1. Connect to your database using psql
$ psql -p ... -h ... -U ... your_database

2. Set client encoding to the encoding of your SQL-file
yourdb=# \encoding your_sql_encoding

3. Load the SQL-file
\i your_sql_file

--