Обсуждение: Performance impact of log streaming replication

Performance impact of log streaming replication

От
Andy
Дата:
What is the expected performance impact of the log streaming replication in 9.0?

In the past I've used the log shipping replication of MySQL and it caused the performance of the master to drop by
almost50%. Just wondered if Postgresql's replication is expected to behave similarly.

Re: Performance impact of log streaming replication

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Andy <angelflow@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is the expected performance impact of the log streaming replication in 9.0?
>
> In the past I've used the log shipping replication of MySQL and it caused the performance of the master to drop by
almost50%. Just wondered if Postgresql's replication is expected to behave similarly.

Whoa!  Sounds like a slow disk IO subsystem, or the inability to take
advantage of a fast one.

PostgreSQL's PITR replication is already a working part of pgsql.  Hot
stanbys are due in 9.0, and should produce no more load than they
already do in 8.4 or 8.3.  Have you tried setting up PITR on pg 8.4 to
see how it impacts your server's performance?

Re: Performance impact of log streaming replication

От
Andy
Дата:
> Whoa!  Sounds like a slow disk IO subsystem, or the
> inability to take
> advantage of a fast one.
>
> PostgreSQL's PITR replication is already a working part of
> pgsql.  Hot
> stanbys are due in 9.0, and should produce no more load
> than they
> already do in 8.4 or 8.3.  Have you tried setting up
> PITR on pg 8.4 to
> see how it impacts your server's performance?

No I haven't. I'm using MySQL right now. But I want to learn more about Postgresql's Hot Standby and see if it offers a
betterreplication solution.

Can anyone share their experience about Postgresql replication performance impact? Thanks.

Re: Performance impact of log streaming replication

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Andy, 21.04.2010 01:44:
> No I haven't. I'm using MySQL right now. But I want to learn more
> about Postgresql's Hot Standby and see if it offers a better
> replication solution.
>
> Can anyone share their experience about Postgresql replication
> performance impact? Thanks.

You might be interested in this post:

http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2010/02/01/waiting-for-9-0-streaming-replication/