Обсуждение: Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

От
felix@crowfix.com
Дата:
I just upgraded my home gentoo system's postgresql from 8.2.14 to
8.4.2.  I use it mostly for fooling around and keeping smatterings of
personal data, so it was simple laziness which kept me from upgrading
sooner, triggered by the gentoo switch back in 8.2.mumble in how they
manage postgresql.

Everything went smoothly except the permissions of the directory
/var/run/postgresql with the domain socket .s.PGSQL.5432.  This dir
had permissions of 770, owned by postgres.postgres, so no mere mortals
could access it.  I have changed this to 775 and can now access it.

Didn't 8.2 put these in /tmp?  Maybe this was a gentoo thing.  What
should the permissions be for this?  Or does gentoo do their own thing
and there is a different "standard" way of handling this?

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Re: Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM,  <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded my home gentoo system's postgresql from 8.2.14 to
> 8.4.2.  I use it mostly for fooling around and keeping smatterings of
> personal data, so it was simple laziness which kept me from upgrading
> sooner, triggered by the gentoo switch back in 8.2.mumble in how they
> manage postgresql.
>
> Everything went smoothly except the permissions of the directory
> /var/run/postgresql with the domain socket .s.PGSQL.5432.  This dir
> had permissions of 770, owned by postgres.postgres, so no mere mortals
> could access it.  I have changed this to 775 and can now access it.
>
> Didn't 8.2 put these in /tmp?  Maybe this was a gentoo thing.  What
> should the permissions be for this?  Or does gentoo do their own thing
> and there is a different "standard" way of handling this?

This sounds like a Gentoo thing.  The location of all the various pg
files is a compile time option and lots of packagers make different
decisions based on their distro layouts.  Ubuntu / Debian for instance
puts all the postgresql.conf type files in
/etc/postgresql/8.x/<clustername>/  and allows you to have multiple
instances of different versions by moving things around from the
default of a single pg install from source.

Re: Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

От
Leif Biberg Kristensen
Дата:
On Saturday 9. January 2010 22.20.36 felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> I just upgraded my home gentoo system's postgresql from 8.2.14 to
> 8.4.2.  I use it mostly for fooling around and keeping smatterings of
> personal data, so it was simple laziness which kept me from upgrading
> sooner, triggered by the gentoo switch back in 8.2.mumble in how they
> manage postgresql.
>
> Everything went smoothly except the permissions of the directory
> /var/run/postgresql with the domain socket .s.PGSQL.5432.  This dir
> had permissions of 770, owned by postgres.postgres, so no mere mortals
> could access it.  I have changed this to 775 and can now access it.
>
> Didn't 8.2 put these in /tmp?  Maybe this was a gentoo thing.  What
> should the permissions be for this?  Or does gentoo do their own thing
> and there is a different "standard" way of handling this?

In Gentoo, you must add the database owner (probably your own username) to the
group Postgres. This was changed with 8.3, and if you had read the message
from emerge, you should have noticed. And, yes, I fumbled a lot with this
myself.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/

Re: Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

От
felix@crowfix.com
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 11:18:19PM +0100, Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:

> In Gentoo, you must add the database owner (probably your own username) to the
> group Postgres. This was changed with 8.3, and if you had read the message
> from emerge, you should have noticed. And, yes, I fumbled a lot with this
> myself.

Ahh ... I skipped 8.3 and didn't see that message.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Re: Gentoo, 8,2 ---> 8.4, and /var/run/postgresql in mode 770

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> Everything went smoothly except the permissions of the directory
> /var/run/postgresql with the domain socket .s.PGSQL.5432.  This dir
> had permissions of 770, owned by postgres.postgres, so no mere mortals
> could access it.  I have changed this to 775 and can now access it.
>
> Didn't 8.2 put these in /tmp?  Maybe this was a gentoo thing.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/236546 talks about what changed and shows the
associated warning, which I'm guessing you didn't see.  You can move it
back to /tmp if you want.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com