Обсуждение: cache lookup failed for function 72629

cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Lawrence Wong
Дата:
Hi,

I had been using my database for a pretty long time now.  It is postgres 8.3 on Windows 2003 Server.  Today I tried to make a change to one of my tables and I got this error message:

'An error has occured: ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 72629'

I tried stopping the service and starting it.  I tried restarting the server.  Neither worked. Has anyone seen something like this and knows a solution?  I would really like to avoid having to reinstall Postgres as my tables are rather large and backing up and restoring would be time consuming.

Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Lawrence Wong<lawrencew00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had been using my database for a pretty long time now.  It is postgres 8.3
> on Windows 2003 Server.  Today I tried to make a change to one of my tables
> and I got this error message:
>
> 'An error has occured: ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 72629'
>
> I tried stopping the service and starting it.  I tried restarting the
> server.  Neither worked. Has anyone seen something like this and knows a
> solution?  I would really like to avoid having to reinstall Postgres as my
> tables are rather large and backing up and restoring would be time
> consuming.

try re-applying the function source.

merlin

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Lawrence Wong
Дата:
I'm sorry.  What does 're-applying the function source' mean?  and how would I do it?

For the 'change to the table' I was talking about, I just tried to do a regular update on the table using pgAdmin III.

LW . . . Lawrence

> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:01:38 -0400
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
> From: mmoncure@gmail.com
> To: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Lawrence Wong<lawrencew00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had been using my database for a pretty long time now.  It is postgres 8.3
> > on Windows 2003 Server.  Today I tried to make a change to one of my tables
> > and I got this error message:
> >
> > 'An error has occured: ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 72629'
> >
> > I tried stopping the service and starting it.  I tried restarting the
> > server.  Neither worked. Has anyone seen something like this and knows a
> > solution?  I would really like to avoid having to reinstall Postgres as my
> > tables are rather large and backing up and restoring would be time
> > consuming.
>
> try re-applying the function source.
>
> merlin

Create a cool, new character for your Windows Live™ Messenger. Check it out

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Lawrence Wong<lawrencew00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry.  What does 're-applying the function source' mean?  and how would
> I do it?
>
> For the 'change to the table' I was talking about, I just tried to do a
> regular update on the table using pgAdmin III.
>
> LW . . . Lawrence

well, the idea is to find the function that is causing the problem,
make a change, and save it back with pgadmin.  still, this shouldn't
be happening, and a database restart should certainly have fixed it.
do we have any context for this error? do you know the query that is
causing it?

merlin

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Lawrence Wong
I had been using Slony-I together with another database on a server on a different machine.  I had been testing my replication constantly dropping and creating my Slony-I tables.  This is not out of the ordinary though.  I had been doing this for many days now.

The query, I had been doing is just an update or insert into any table in this database.  There are about 40 tables.  Any change to the tables in the database results in this error.  Like I said, I had restarted the PostgreSQL service several times as well as restarted my Server several times to no avail.  I am pretty stumped and am not sure what to do short of a complete uninstall and reinstall of PostgreSQL.  Although I am not sure that would work at this point.  Probably because I'm still not sure what this error means.  Once again, like I said, it is just a simple update or insert into my tables.  I had been doing this function just a couple minutes earlier to this message and did not do anything out of the ordinary in the time between.

> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:16:05 -0400
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
> From: mmoncure@gmail.com
> To: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Lawrence Wong<lawrencew00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sorry.  What does 're-applying the function source' mean?  and how would
> > I do it?
> >
> > For the 'change to the table' I was talking about, I just tried to do a
> > regular update on the table using pgAdmin III.
> >
> > LW . . . Lawrence
> >

> well, the idea is to find the function that is causing the problem,
> make a change, and save it back with pgadmin. still, this shouldn't
> be happening, and a database restart should certainly have fixed it.
> do we have any context for this error? do you know the query that is
> causing it?
>
> merlin

We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

Дата:
Lawrence Wong <lawrencew00@hotmail.com> writes:
> I had been using Slony-I together with another database on a server on a different machine.  I had been testing my
replicationconstantly dropping and creating my Slony-I tables.  This is not out of the ordinary though.  I had been
doingthis for many days now.

Hmm, try asking about it on the Slony mailing lists.  Slony is known to
cause strange errors if you do something it's not expecting.  I suspect
that the missing function is actually a Slony trigger function, in which
case you could probably clean up by dropping the trigger --- but get
some help first, or you may mess up Slony even further.

            regards, tom lane

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
This sounds like a problem I have observed, which I was able to fix by
restarting
the Slony daemon.

 - Dean

2009/7/14 Lawrence Wong <lawrencew00@hotmail.com>:
> I had been using Slony-I together with another database on a server on a
> different machine.  I had been testing my replication constantly dropping
> and creating my Slony-I tables.  This is not out of the ordinary though.  I
> had been doing this for many days now.
>
> The query, I had been doing is just an update or insert into any table in
> this database.  There are about 40 tables.  Any change to the tables in the
> database results in this error.  Like I said, I had restarted the PostgreSQL
> service several times as well as restarted my Server several times to no
> avail.  I am pretty stumped and am not sure what to do short of a complete
> uninstall and reinstall of PostgreSQL.  Although I am not sure that would
> work at this point.  Probably because I'm still not sure what this error
> means.  Once again, like I said, it is just a simple update or insert into
> my tables.  I had been doing this function just a couple minutes earlier to
> this message and did not do anything out of the ordinary in the time
> between.
>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:16:05 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
>> From: mmoncure@gmail.com
>> To: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
>> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Lawrence Wong<lawrencew00@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm sorry.  What does 're-applying the function source' mean?  and how
>> > would
>> > I do it?
>> >
>> > For the 'change to the table' I was talking about, I just tried to do a
>> > regular update on the table using pgAdmin III.
>> >
>> > LW . . . Lawrence
>> >

>> well, the idea is to find the function that is causing the problem,
>> make a change, and save it back with pgadmin. still, this shouldn't
>> be happening, and a database restart should certainly have fixed it.
>> do we have any context for this error? do you know the query that is
>> causing it?
>>
>> merlin
>>
>> --

LW . . . Lawrence

> To: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
> CC: mmoncure@gmail.com; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:18:10 -0400
> From: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> Lawrence Wong <lawrencew00@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I had been using Slony-I together with another database on a server on a different machine. I had been testing my replication constantly dropping and creating my Slony-I tables. This is not out of the ordinary though. I had been doing this for many days now.
>
> Hmm, try asking about it on the Slony mailing lists. Slony is known to
> cause strange errors if you do something it's not expecting. I suspect
> that the missing function is actually a Slony trigger function, in which
> case you could probably clean up by dropping the trigger --- but get
> some help first, or you may mess up Slony even further.
>
> regards, tom lane

Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!

Re: cache lookup failed for function 72629

От
Lawrence Wong
Дата:
I'm not exactly sure what was wrong.  But I tried making a change on another database on the same server and it was ok.  So I thought deleting the problem database and restoring it again would do the trick and it did.  So problem solved I guess.  Although I'm still not sure what happened . . .

LW . . . Lawrence

From: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
To: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
CC: mmoncure@gmail.com; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:33:19 +0000

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} I guess I'll ask on the slony-i mailing list also.  thanks for your hlep.

LW . . . Lawrence

> To: lawrencew00@hotmail.com
> CC: mmoncure@gmail.com; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] cache lookup failed for function 72629
> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:18:10 -0400
> From: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> Lawrence Wong <lawrencew00@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I had been using Slony-I together with another database on a server on a different machine. I had been testing my replication constantly dropping and creating my Slony-I tables. This is not out of the ordinary though. I had been doing this for many days now.
>
> Hmm, try asking about it on the Slony mailing lists. Slony is known to
> cause strange errors if you do something it's not expecting. I suspect
> that the missing function is actually a Slony trigger function, in which
> case you could probably clean up by dropping the trigger --- but get
> some help first, or you may mess up Slony even further.
>
> regards, tom lane

Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.