Обсуждение: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
David
Дата:
Our internal task database is doing something odd in that the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't
findany reason why I have checked the
sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment by 2 but no. The table in question has a number of both
beforeand after triggers that do
various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules to track field changes. Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of a
reasonwhy?

--

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
David, 28.04.2009 07:48:
> Our internal task database is doing something odd in that the
> sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't find any
> reason why I have checked the sequence itself to see if it had
> somehow got set to increment by 2 but no. The table in question has a
> number of both before and after triggers that do various bits of
> business logic as well as some rewrite rules to track field changes.
> Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of a reason why?

My first guess would be rolled back transactions

Thomas

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
> Our internal task database is doing something odd in that the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't
findany reason why I have checked the
> sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment by 2 but no. The table in question has a number of both
beforeand after triggers that do
> various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules to track field changes. Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of
areason why?

Wild guess: there are an other call to nextval() in one of the triggers.
But without the code it is hard to guess...

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
David
Дата:
Looked for that can't find anything and there is no reason why someone would have added that.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:24:46AM +0200, A. Kretschmer wrote:
> > Our internal task database is doing something odd in that the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I
can'tfind any reason why I have checked the
> > sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment by 2 but no. The table in question has a number of
bothbefore and after triggers that do
> > various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules to track field changes. Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think
ofa reason why?

> Wild guess: there are an other call to nextval() in one of the triggers.
> But without the code it is hard to guess...
>

> Regards, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Kretschmer
> Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47150,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)
> GnuPG-ID:   0x3FFF606C, privat 0x7F4584DA   http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM, David <david@vanlaatum.id.au> wrote:
> Looked for that can't find anything and there is no reason why someone would have added that.

Well, unless you've got some example code for us to look at, it's
kinda hard to tell you what's wrong.

Often, you see people do something like this:

insert into autoincrementingtable values (DEFAULT, 'a', 500);
select nextval('autoinctable_seq');
yada yada yada

or something like that.  i.e. there's an implicit call to the nextval
with the insert, and another explicit one somewhere in your code.

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
David
Дата:
Ok got permission to send the code I think I have got all the relevent bits.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 01:01:39AM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM, David <david@vanlaatum.id.au> wrote:
> > Looked for that can't find anything and there is no reason why someone would have added that.
>
> Well, unless you've got some example code for us to look at, it's
> kinda hard to tell you what's wrong.
>
> Often, you see people do something like this:
>
> insert into autoincrementingtable values (DEFAULT, 'a', 500);
> select nextval('autoinctable_seq');
> yada yada yada
>
> or something like that.  i.e. there's an implicit call to the nextval
> with the insert, and another explicit one somewhere in your code.

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
"Daniel Verite"
    David wrote:

> the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't
> find any reason why I have checked the
> sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment
> by 2 but no.
> The table in question has a number of both before and after triggers
> that do various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules
> to track field changes.
> Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of a reason why?

I'd say rewrite rules are your prime suspect.
Check out for example:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2007-03/msg00334.php

Cordialement,
--
 Daniel

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
David
Дата:
Cool thanks that makes sense was hard to pin down because we didn't notice for a while.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:31:26AM +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
>     David wrote:
>
> >the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't
> >find any reason why I have checked the
> >sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment
> >by 2 but no.
> >The table in question has a number of both before and after triggers
> >that do various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules
> >to track field changes.
> >Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of a reason why?
>
> I'd say rewrite rules are your prime suspect.
> Check out for example:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2007-03/msg00334.php
>
> Cordialement,
> --
> Daniel

Re: Sequence Incrementing by 2 insted of 1

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-04-28, David <david@vanlaatum.id.au> wrote:
> Our internal task database is doing something odd in that the sequence is incrementing by 2 instead of 1 and I can't
findany reason why I have checked the
> sequence itself to see if it had somehow got set to increment by 2 but no. The table in question has a number of both
beforeand after triggers that do
> various bits of business logic as well as some rewrite rules to track field changes. Using 8.3.0. Can anyone think of
areason why?

possibly a rule involves the the sequence, thus it's value is computed twice.

On 2009-04-28, David <david@vanlaatum.id.au> wrote:

> Ok got permission to send the code I think I have got all the relevent bits.

>CREATE TABLE currentcall (
>    cadc_taskno integer DEFAULT nextval(('currentcall_cadc_taskno_seq'::text)::regclass) NOT NULL,
>    coversight character varying(4),

>CREATE RULE currentcall_insert AS ON INSERT TO currentcall DO INSERT INTO
>  taskchangelog (tasknum, newstatus, newtech, status, newpriority,
>  newestcomplete, newclass, newnewtask) VALUES (new.cadc_taskno,
>  new.cstatus, new.ctechalloc, new.ccustcomment, new.cfprior,
>  new.cestcomplete, new.cjobclass, (new.cnewtask = 'Y'::bpchar));

if you're inserting DEFAULT into the cadc_taskno column (or not
explicitly setting that column) the re-writer will substitute

  nextval(('currentcall_cadc_taskno_seq'::text)::regclass)

And that will be evaluated once for the insert and again for the rule.

this is documented somewhere.... I think