Обсуждение: Error installing Postgres

Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
When trying to upgrade Postgres I got this message:

The existing data directory (Date/time settings: floating -point
numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/Time setting:
64-bit integers)

I saw a few posts about this but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I
think one of them said I need to completely remove Postgres and do a
dump and restore. Is that the only way?

Christine

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 22/04/2009 16:57, Christine Penner wrote:

> The existing data directory (Date/time settings: floating -point
> numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/Time setting: 64-bit
> integers)
>
> I saw a few posts about this but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I
> think one of them said I need to completely remove Postgres and do a
> dump and restore. Is that the only way?

It sounds as if you're trying to get a later-version server to use an
earlier-version data directory - this won't work. Between major versions
of PostgreSQL (8.2 -> 8.3 for example) you *have* to do a dump/restore -
it says this in the docs and (I think) in the release notes.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 18:09 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 22/04/2009 16:57, Christine Penner wrote:
>
> > The existing data directory (Date/time settings: floating -point
> > numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/Time setting: 64-bit
> > integers)
> >
> > I saw a few posts about this but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I
> > think one of them said I need to completely remove Postgres and do a
> > dump and restore. Is that the only way?
>
> It sounds as if you're trying to get a later-version server to use an
> earlier-version data directory - this won't work.

Actually the error is about whether or not the server was compiled with
integer datetime support. There may also be an upgrade error here as
well if she is trying to use 8.4Beta because 8.4 finally fixes the long
standing mistake of not using integer datetime support by default.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
I am upgrading from 8.3.4 to 8.3.7. That's why I'm confused. The
notes said I wouldn't have to do that. 8.3.4 was the original install.

Christine

At 10:09 AM 22/04/2009, you wrote:
>On 22/04/2009 16:57, Christine Penner wrote:
>
> > The existing data directory (Date/time settings: floating -point
> > numbers) is not compatible with this server (Date/Time setting: 64-bit
> > integers)
> >
> > I saw a few posts about this but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I
> > think one of them said I need to completely remove Postgres and do a
> > dump and restore. Is that the only way?
>
>It sounds as if you're trying to get a later-version server to use an
>earlier-version data directory - this won't work. Between major versions
>of PostgreSQL (8.2 -> 8.3 for example) you *have* to do a dump/restore -
>it says this in the docs and (I think) in the release notes.
>
>Ray.

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 22/04/2009 18:12, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 18:09 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> It sounds as if you're trying to get a later-version server to use an
>> earlier-version data directory - this won't work.
>
> Actually the error is about whether or not the server was compiled with
> integer datetime support. There may also be an upgrade error here as
> well if she is trying to use 8.4Beta because 8.4 finally fixes the long
> standing mistake of not using integer datetime support by default.

Ah - ok. I stand corrected. :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 10:13 -0700, Christine Penner wrote:
> I am upgrading from 8.3.4 to 8.3.7. That's why I'm confused. The
> notes said I wouldn't have to do that. 8.3.4 was the original install.

What OS are you running? How did you go about upgrading?

Debian/Ubuntu will use --integer-datetimes by default. If the machine
was once compiled from source you could see the problem.

RedHat/Cent/Fedora has long used the incorrect default of floating based
timestamps. If you downloaded the wrong package from pgsqlrpms then you
could run into the error (pgsqlrpms has both --integer-datetimes and
floating based packages (for compatibility).

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
Windows XP pro. I went to the postgres web site, downloads, clicked
on the binary package and selected windows. It gave me a file called
Postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe

When I run that I hit next for the postgres directory, then after
hitting next for the data directory I get the error. I kept all
defaults for directories because I want to keep my existing data etc.

Christine

At 10:24 AM 22/04/2009, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 10:13 -0700, Christine Penner wrote:
> > I am upgrading from 8.3.4 to 8.3.7. That's why I'm confused. The
> > notes said I wouldn't have to do that. 8.3.4 was the original install.
>
>What OS are you running? How did you go about upgrading?
>
>Debian/Ubuntu will use --integer-datetimes by default. If the machine
>was once compiled from source you could see the problem.
>
>RedHat/Cent/Fedora has long used the incorrect default of floating based
>timestamps. If you downloaded the wrong package from pgsqlrpms then you
>could run into the error (pgsqlrpms has both --integer-datetimes and
>floating based packages (for compatibility).
>
>Joshua D. Drake
>
>--
>PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
>    Consulting, Development, Support, Training
>    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
>

>--

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 10:31 -0700, Christine Penner wrote:
> Windows XP pro. I went to the postgres web site, downloads, clicked
> on the binary package and selected windows. It gave me a file called
> Postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe
>
> When I run that I hit next for the postgres directory, then after
> hitting next for the data directory I get the error. I kept all
> defaults for directories because I want to keep my existing data etc.

Huh, I wonder when the windows package changed its defaults. O.k. so
what I would do is this:

1. Uninstall 8.3.7
2. Reinstall 8.3.4
3. Take a backup
4. Uninstall 8.3.4
5. Reinstall 8.3.7 in a new location
6. Restore backup
7. Test/Verify
 7a. If o.k. remove 8.3.4 location
 7b. If not o.k. check back

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote on 22.04.2009 19:34:
> Huh, I wonder when the windows package changed its defaults.

Could it be that Christine initially installed the pginstaller version, and now
downloaded the EnterpriseDB installer? And EnterpriseDB compiles with a
different default setting?

As far as I recall the .exe is the EnterpriseDB One-Click-Installer. The
pginstaller always comes as a zip file

Christine: what kind of installer did you use for the initial installation?

Thomas

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 22/04/2009 19:00, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Could it be that Christine initially installed the pginstaller version,
> and now downloaded the EnterpriseDB installer? And EnterpriseDB compiles
> with a different default setting?
>
> As far as I recall the .exe is the EnterpriseDB One-Click-Installer. The
> pginstaller always comes as a zip file

That's probably a fair guess - from memory, the pginstaller uses a
different naming convention too.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
It was a zip file with an msi installer in it. I tried to find a
similar one for the update but all I could find was the one click installer.

Christine

At 11:00 AM 22/04/2009, you wrote:
>Joshua D. Drake wrote on 22.04.2009 19:34:
>>Huh, I wonder when the windows package changed its defaults.
>
>Could it be that Christine initially installed the pginstaller
>version, and now downloaded the EnterpriseDB installer? And
>EnterpriseDB compiles with a different default setting?
>
>As far as I recall the .exe is the EnterpriseDB One-Click-Installer.
>The pginstaller always comes as a zip file
>
>Christine: what kind of installer did you use for the initial installation?
>
>Thomas
>

>--

Re: Error installing Postgres

Дата:
Christine Penner <christine@ingenioussoftware.com> writes:
> Windows XP pro. I went to the postgres web site, downloads, clicked
> on the binary package and selected windows. It gave me a file called
> Postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe

There are different people distributing Postgres-for-Windows with
different build options.  You need to make sure you get upgrade
packages from the same place you got the original install, else you
will possibly hit this type of problem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error installing Postgres

Дата:
> RedHat/Cent/Fedora has long used the incorrect default of floating based
> timestamps.

Josh, you're being extremely unhelpful by presenting the problem in
this narrow minded "correct" vs "incorrect" way.

I'm going to go on the record now that if Bruce gets pg_migrator
working for 8.4 (which he seems to think might still happen) it's
entirely possible that the Red Hat packages won't *ever* switch away
from FP timestamps; or at least not till the next upgrade cycle that
pg_migrator doesn't work for.  It won't be worth the pain of forcing
a dump/reload just to change the representation of timestamps.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 22/04/2009 19:05, Christine Penner wrote:
> It was a zip file with an msi installer in it. I tried to find a similar
> one for the update but all I could find was the one click installer.

The initial installation sounds like it was the pgInstaller, so. It
would be worth trying again with the same installer:

  http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows

The pgInstaller is listed underneath the one-click installer.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
The link below takes me to the same place I got this installer I'm
having problems with. I am pretty sure I got the original installer
from the Postgres web site just like I just did.

Christine

Tom Lane wrote:
> > RedHat/Cent/Fedora has long used the incorrect default of floating based
> > timestamps.
>
> Josh, you're being extremely unhelpful by presenting the problem in
> this narrow minded "correct" vs "incorrect" way.
>
> I'm going to go on the record now that if Bruce gets pg_migrator
> working for 8.4 (which he seems to think might still happen) it's

Yes, I can confirm I think pg_migrator will work for 8.3->8.4 upgrades;
I start testing this week.

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 22/04/2009 19:21, Christine Penner wrote:
> The link below takes me to the same place I got this installer I'm
> having problems with. I am pretty sure I got the original installer from

Well, there are two installers listed there (at least, that's what I see):

* One-click installer, on EnterpriseDB's site -
postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe

* pgInstaller, at http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.7/win32/ -
postgresql-8.3.7-1.zip.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Christine Penner
Дата:
Looks like that's the one I got last time. They must have had that
one list on the main download page when I did the original install. I
wouldn't have looked in the ftp section.

Also when I looked in the ftp section earlier today, I skipped the
binary stuff because the one click installer I got was called a binary package.

I think that will work for me.

Thanks
Christine

At 11:27 AM 22/04/2009, you wrote:
>On 22/04/2009 19:21, Christine Penner wrote:
> > The link below takes me to the same place I got this installer I'm
> > having problems with. I am pretty sure I got the original installer from
>
>Well, there are two installers listed there (at least, that's what I see):
>
>* One-click installer, on EnterpriseDB's site -
>postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe
>
>* pgInstaller, at http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.7/win32/ -
>postgresql-8.3.7-1.zip.
>
>Ray.

>Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
>rod@iol.ie
>Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote on 22.04.2009 20:14:
> On 22/04/2009 19:05, Christine Penner wrote:
>> It was a zip file with an msi installer in it. I tried to find a similar
>> one for the update but all I could find was the one click installer.
>
> The initial installation sounds like it was the pgInstaller, so. It
> would be worth trying again with the same installer:
>
>   http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>
> The pgInstaller is listed underneath the one-click installer.

I still wonder why the one-click installer is so much more prominent than the
pginstaller.

All people who downloaded PG because I recommended it, downloaded the one-click
installer because that "was the one on the download page"

Thomas

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote on 22.04.2009 20:26:
> Yes, I can confirm I think pg_migrator will work for 8.3->8.4 upgrades;
> I start testing this week.

This is pretty good news, cool.

Will there be Windows binaries for the pg_migrator once that 8.4 ships?

Thomas

Re: Error installing Postgres

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

> I still wonder why the one-click installer is so much more prominent than
> the pginstaller.

Because it was designed to remove many of the complexities of the MSI
installer that most users don't need and many don't understand if
they're new to PostgreSQL.

And it's not 'much more prominent', it's just listed above. There's
even a paragraph at the top of the page explaining the differences
between the two and the target audience for each. The trick is to read
the text, or if you must blindly click on the first link you'll get
the most simple package :-).

--
Dave Page

Re: Error installing Postgres

Дата:
Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote on 22.04.2009 20:26:
> > Yes, I can confirm I think pg_migrator will work for 8.3->8.4 upgrades;
> > I start testing this week.
> >
> This is pretty good news, cool.
>
> Will there be Windows binaries for the pg_migrator once that 8.4 ships?

Uh, no idea on that one but I think we will know in the next few weeks.