Обсуждение: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

\l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:
Hello,

testing / using PostgreSQL 8.4, I queried  the list of databases via

\l in psql

I get information about name, owner, coding, Collation, Ctype and
access rights. Which wraps right in the middle of "ctype", as
collation and ctype both are "German, Germany"

As a result: this basic information command is rather unreadable with
only 80chars.

is this an effect only with "long name collations"?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

Дата:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> testing / using PostgreSQL 8.4, I queried  the list of databases via
>
> \l in psql
>
> I get information about name, owner, coding, Collation, Ctype and
> access rights. Which wraps right in the middle of "ctype", as
> collation and ctype both are "German, Germany"
>
> As a result: this basic information command is rather unreadable with
> only 80chars.

You might try the new psql option:

    \pset format wrapped

to see if it looks better.

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:
No difference at all. Line breaks are exactly as on screen (looks more
crazy in email with non-fixed-with font)
But really, linebreak betwwen "Zug" and "riffsrechte", and cutting
between "=c/pos" and "tgres"

postgres=# \l
                                     Liste der Datenbanken
   Name    | Eigentümer | Kodierung |    Collation    |      Ctype      |    Zug
riffsrechte
-----------+------------+-----------+-----------------+-----------------+-------
----------------
 ibox      | ibox       | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany |
 postgres  | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany |
 template0 | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany | =c/pos
tgres
                                                                        : postgr
es=CTc/postgres
 template1 | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany | =c/pos
tgres
                                                                        : postgr
es=CTc/postgres
(4 Zeilen)

postgres=# \pset format wrapped
Ausgabeformat ist »wrapped«.

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
EuroPython 2009 will take place in Birmingham - Stay tuned!

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

Дата:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> postgres=# \pset format wrapped
> Ausgabeformat ist ?wrapped?.
> postgres=# \l
>                                      Liste der Datenbanken
>    Name    | Eigent?mer | Kodierung |    Collation    |      Ctype      |    Zug
> riffsrechte
> -----------+------------+-----------+-----------------+-----------------+-------
> ----------------
>  ibox      | ibox       | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany |
>  postgres  | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany |
>  template0 | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany | =c/pos
> tgres
>                                                                         : postgr
> es=CTc/postgres
>  template1 | postgres   | UTF8      | German, Germany | German, Germany | =c/pos
> tgres
>                                                                         : postgr
> es=CTc/postgres
> (4 Zeilen)

What is your $COLUMNS set to?  This should have wrapped to fit into the
screen with.  Also look at \pset columns:

          output to the specified width.  If <literal>\pset columns</> is
          zero (the default), <literal>wrapped</> mode only affects screen
          output and wrapped width is controlled by the environment
          variable <envar>COLUMNS</> or the detected screen width.  If
          <literal>\pset columns</> is set to a non-zero value, all output
          is wrapped, including file and pipe output.

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:
Thanks!

> What is your $COLUMNS set to?  This should have wrapped to fit into the
> screen with.  Also look at \pset columns:

$COLUMNS was not set at all ... guess that is a usual environment
variable on bash. Setting it to 80 works.

Thank you very much,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
EuroPython 2009 will take place in Birmingham - Stay tuned!

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks!
>
>> What is your $COLUMNS set to?  This should have wrapped to fit into the
>> screen with.  Also look at \pset columns:
>
> $COLUMNS was not set at all ... guess that is a usual environment
> variable on bash. Setting it to 80 works.

COLUMNS wasn't set and \pset columns wasn't set? What environment were you
running this psql command in? Was the output redirected anywhere with \o or
with > on the commandline?

We had a long argument about how this should work a while back so I suspect
people aren't psyched about reopening it, but while I don't think the current
logic is right I don't think wrapping to 80 columns when your terminal is
wider is one of the current broken cases. It tends to fail in the opposite
direction of randomly not wrapping at all so it's kind of surprising to see
your experience.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

Дата:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> > What is your $COLUMNS set to?  This should have wrapped to fit into the
> > screen with.  Also look at \pset columns:
>
> $COLUMNS was not set at all ... guess that is a usual environment
> variable on bash. Setting it to 80 works.

Great.  The wrapping mode is a new 8.4 features so it os good to know it
is working for you.

Re: \l of psql 8.4 looks ... unreadable on 80char default

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:
Gregory,

>> $COLUMNS was not set at all ... guess that is a usual >environment
>> variable on bash. Setting it to 80 works.
>
> COLUMNS wasn't set and \pset columns wasn't set? What environment were you
> running this psql command in? Was the output redirected anywhere with \o or
> with > on the commandline?

Environment: cmd.exe within Windows 7 Beta 64bit.
(should be quite similar to Vista & XP)

And I did not redirect anything ... Just started a default cmd.exe, to
paste it into the email I used "select" and "copy" from the
system-menu of that window.

(this "\l" is just my "ritual" after installing PostgreSQL, to see
that PostgreSQL is installed and the installer accepted my wish for
UTF-8)

> We had a long argument about how this should work a while back so I suspect
> people aren't psyched about reopening it, but while I don't think the current
> logic is right I don't think wrapping to 80 columns when your terminal is
> wider is one of the current broken cases. It tends to fail in the opposite
> direction of randomly not wrapping at all so it's kind of surprising to see
> your experience.

It did not wrap at all, so that "randomly not wrapping at all" was my
kind of failure, wasn't it?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa