Обсуждение: password for postgres

password for postgres

От
Kusuma Pabba
Дата:
i don't  know y am i getting this problem

when i try to start off postgres
it asks me for password:

i did not set any password as such

except that when the first day i used template, i ahve used the below
two statements
ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'your_password';
ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'welcome';

but it is not accepting both the passwords
i am getting incorrect password after three trials it is returning back
to command prompt

when i have used
select * from pg_shadow;
then i got

md5d31faa0b92fad4e2d8e4af34a30f890b

though i use this i am not able to acess i don't  know what to do with
this issue
can any one shed light on me by explaining me what was the mistake i did
or which password to use
thanks for any help

Regards
kusuma.p

Re: password for postgres

От
Abdul Rahman
Дата:
Kindly let me know two things to answer you. First, Are you trying to start postgres service or psql prompt? second, what OS is in your use.

Re: password for postgres

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Friday 13 February 2009 2:18:32 am Kusuma Pabba wrote:
> i don't  know y am i getting this problem
>
> when i try to start off postgres
> it asks me for password:

Are trying to start the Postgres program or are you trying to connect to an
already running server?

> i did not set any password as such
>
> except that when the first day i used template, i ahve used the below
> two statements
> ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'your_password';
> ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'welcome';

If you did it that order then your password for connecting should be 'welcome'.
User/role information is cluster wide. If you entered the above to access the
template then it is in effect for all databases in the cluster.

Are you connecting as the user postgres or another user?

> but it is not accepting both the passwords
> i am getting incorrect password after three trials it is returning back
> to command prompt

What is the error message that you are getting?
Have you set up the pg_hba.conf file correctly?
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/client-authentication.html
for more information.

> when i have used
> select * from pg_shadow;
> then i got
>
> md5d31faa0b92fad4e2d8e4af34a30f890b

I am assuming this is for the user postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: password for postgres

От
Sim Zacks
Дата:

Re: password for postgres

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-02-13, Kusuma Pabba <kusumap@ncoretech.com> wrote:
> i don't  know y am i getting this problem
>
> when i try to start off postgres
> it asks me for password:

what OS.

what command are you using?