Re: password for postgres

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: password for postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 13 February 2009 2:18:32 am Kusuma Pabba wrote:
> i don't  know y am i getting this problem
>
> when i try to start off postgres
> it asks me for password:

Are trying to start the Postgres program or are you trying to connect to an
already running server?

> i did not set any password as such
>
> except that when the first day i used template, i ahve used the below
> two statements
> ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'your_password';
> ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'welcome';

If you did it that order then your password for connecting should be 'welcome'.
User/role information is cluster wide. If you entered the above to access the
template then it is in effect for all databases in the cluster.

Are you connecting as the user postgres or another user?

> but it is not accepting both the passwords
> i am getting incorrect password after three trials it is returning back
> to command prompt

What is the error message that you are getting?
Have you set up the pg_hba.conf file correctly?
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/client-authentication.html
for more information.

> when i have used
> select * from pg_shadow;
> then i got
>
> md5d31faa0b92fad4e2d8e4af34a30f890b

I am assuming this is for the user postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net