Обсуждение: Hi iam the beginner

Hi iam the beginner

От
"sai srujan"
Дата:
 Hi....
              This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and I have just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql file)
created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to postgresql 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.
Thanks in Advance

Re: Hi iam the beginner

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM, sai srujan <creativesrujan@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi....
>               This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and I have
> just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql file)
> created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to postgresql
> 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.

If possible, go ahead and jump right into 8.3.5.  There's been quite a
few improvements over 8.1 in it.  And unlike Oracle, when a new pg
version is released, it's considered to really be production ready
right away, or at least within a month or so.  8.3.5 is a year old
now, and we've been running 8.3 in production since 8.3.3 came out and
it's fantastic.

The easiest way to transfer your database over is to dump the schema
first, and get that working on pgsql.  Beware mysqlisms, like quoting
identifiers with back ticks (worst idea ever really) and odd type
names, like tinyint or unsigned ints.  None of that stuff is standard.

Once you've got your schema to import, then dump the data from mysql
as either CSV or insert statements, whichever is easier, and import
that.  You might need to whip up some skills in perl, bash, php, awk,
or sed to massage your data to go in right.

And if you get stuck, post here...  Best of luck.

Re: Hi iam the beginner

От
Pedro Doria Meunier
Дата:
(sorry all, I *couldn't* resist!)

Scott ...

In all these years that's the 1st time I've ever 'heard' the term "massage you
data" !!!
All sorts of deviant thoughts come to your mind!
LOL

BR,

Pedro Doria Meunier
GSM: +351961720188
Skype: pdoriam

On Friday 19 December 2008 12:03:26 am Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM, sai srujan <creativesrujan@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  Hi....
> >               This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and I
> > have just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql
> > file) created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to
> > postgresql 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.
>
> If possible, go ahead and jump right into 8.3.5.  There's been quite a
> few improvements over 8.1 in it.  And unlike Oracle, when a new pg
> version is released, it's considered to really be production ready
> right away, or at least within a month or so.  8.3.5 is a year old
> now, and we've been running 8.3 in production since 8.3.3 came out and
> it's fantastic.
>
> The easiest way to transfer your database over is to dump the schema
> first, and get that working on pgsql.  Beware mysqlisms, like quoting
> identifiers with back ticks (worst idea ever really) and odd type
> names, like tinyint or unsigned ints.  None of that stuff is standard.
>
> Once you've got your schema to import, then dump the data from mysql
> as either CSV or insert statements, whichever is easier, and import
> that.  You might need to whip up some skills in perl, bash, php, awk,
> or sed to massage your data to go in right.
>
> And if you get stuck, post here...  Best of luck.

Вложения

Re: Hi iam the beginner

От
"Star Liu"
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM, sai srujan <creativesrujan@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi....
>               This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and I have
> just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql file)
> created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to postgresql
> 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.
> Thanks in Advance

I'm not able to help you, for I haven't used mysql, but I'm wondering
why you want to stop using mysql? :)

--
I'm a web developer using
debian+mono(C#)+postgresql+xhtml+javascript+xsl+xml+css

Re: Hi iam the beginner

От
ries van Twisk
Дата:
On Dec 18, 2008, at 10:19 PM, Star Liu wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM, sai srujan
> <creativesrujan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi....
>>              This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and
>> I have
>> just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql file)
>> created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to
>> postgresql
>> 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.
>> Thanks in Advance
>>
> I'm not able to help you, for I haven't used mysql, but I'm wondering
> why you want to stop using mysql? :)

I used to make a schema dump and modify that in a text editor.

Then I use JasperETL to transfer data from one DB to a other DB.

Ries

Re: Hi iam the beginner

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM, sai srujan <creativesrujan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Hi....
>>               This is srujan and I am beginner of postgresql 8.1 and I have
>> just stopped using mysql and i would like to use the dump (.sql file)
>> created in it. I would like transfer the databases in my sql to postgresql
>> 8.1. Please do reply. I am waiting for it.
>
> If possible, go ahead and jump right into 8.3.5.  There's been quite a
> few improvements over 8.1 in it.  And unlike Oracle, when a new pg
> version is released, it's considered to really be production ready
> right away, or at least within a month or so.  8.3.5 is a year old
> now, and we've been running 8.3 in production since 8.3.3 came out and
> it's fantastic.
>
> The easiest way to transfer your database over is to dump the schema
> first, and get that working on pgsql.

If you go to the PG projects site and search for "mysql" you'll find
some tools to help with this too.

http://pgfoundry.org/

--
  Richard Huxton