Обсуждение: concurrent users

concurrent users

От
IPS
Дата:
Dear All,I am planning to migrate my database from Oracle 10g to Postgre SQL. The database in Oracle currently have
about21 million records and about 2 million new record  are getting added every month. I have few
queries: a.I get the data from user in excel/csv file (maximum 130000 records per file). Compare the data in file
withmaster database (21 million records) and giving matching and not matching numbers. Average of 1800 comparisions are
happeningevery day. I am concerned with performance of oracle vs postgre b. At a given moment, about
100 concurrentusers are accessing the database for various tasks. What is the level of concurrency one can go for
inPostgre c. In orcale jobs are scheduled and executed in the database directly. In postgre no such facility is
available.I need to run a job every 2 minutes (24 X 7 operations).with regards, I.P.S. Sethi

Re: concurrent users

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:03 AM, IPS <sethi@nic.in> wrote:

> c. In orcale jobs are scheduled and executed in the database directly. In
> postgre no such facility is available. I need to run a job every 2 minutes
> (24 X 7 operations).

pgAgent?

http://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgagent.php

--
Dave Page

Re: concurrent users

От
Magnus Hagander
IPS wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am planning to migrate my database from Oracle 10g to Postgre SQL. The
> database in Oracle currently have about 21 million records and about 2
> million new record  are getting added every month. I have few queries:
>
> a. I get the data from user in excel/csv file (maximum 130000 records
> per file). Compare the data in file with master database (21 million
> records) and giving matching and not matching numbers. Average of 1800
> comparisions are happening every day. I am concerned with performance of
> oracle vs postgre

Should not be a problem. The most efficient way is likely to load the
whole sheet into a temporary table and run the comparisons completely in
the database - that may be what you're doing already.

> b. At a given moment, about 100 concurrent users are accessing the
> database for various tasks. What is the level of concurrency one can go
> for in Postgre

Not a problem, unless you are on Windows. You can go to thousands of
connections - you will loose some efficiency, but it works. The Windows
version scales *much* less than the Unix one in this.

> c. In orcale jobs are scheduled and executed in the database directly.
> In postgre no such facility is available. I need to run a job every 2
> minutes (24 X 7 operations).

You can use cron for this, or you can use "pgagent" which is part of
pgAdmin3.

//Magnus