Re: concurrent users

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: concurrent users
Дата
Список pgsql-general
IPS wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am planning to migrate my database from Oracle 10g to Postgre SQL. The
> database in Oracle currently have about 21 million records and about 2
> million new record  are getting added every month. I have few queries:
>
> a. I get the data from user in excel/csv file (maximum 130000 records
> per file). Compare the data in file with master database (21 million
> records) and giving matching and not matching numbers. Average of 1800
> comparisions are happening every day. I am concerned with performance of
> oracle vs postgre

Should not be a problem. The most efficient way is likely to load the
whole sheet into a temporary table and run the comparisons completely in
the database - that may be what you're doing already.

> b. At a given moment, about 100 concurrent users are accessing the
> database for various tasks. What is the level of concurrency one can go
> for in Postgre

Not a problem, unless you are on Windows. You can go to thousands of
connections - you will loose some efficiency, but it works. The Windows
version scales *much* less than the Unix one in this.

> c. In orcale jobs are scheduled and executed in the database directly.
> In postgre no such facility is available. I need to run a job every 2
> minutes (24 X 7 operations).

You can use cron for this, or you can use "pgagent" which is part of
pgAdmin3.

//Magnus