Обсуждение: Job scheduling in Postgre

Job scheduling in Postgre

От
IPS
Дата:
I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of time in the postgre SQL database. Is
theirany utility/feature available in Postgre to do so.with regards, I.P.S. Sethi

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 02/12/2008 11:45, IPS wrote:
> I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of
> time in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available
> in Postgre to do so.

cron?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
> I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of time
> in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available in Postgre
> to do so.

No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 02 December 2008 07:11:02 A. Kretschmer wrote:
> am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
> > I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of
> > time in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available
> > in Postgre to do so.
>
> No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).

There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a
tool which is only used by a small subset of the community. I had hopes that
it might follow autovacuums path and get moved into a contrib module and
possibly integrated into the backend some day, but I haven't seen much push
in that direction.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 07:11:02 A. Kretschmer wrote:
>> am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
>> > I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of
>> > time in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available
>> > in Postgre to do so.
>>
>> No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).
>>

> There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
> with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a
> tool which is only used by a small subset of the community. I had hopes that
> it might follow autovacuums path and get moved into a contrib module and
> possibly integrated into the backend some day, but I haven't seen much push
> in that direction.

It would need to be ported to C first (it's currently wxWidgets/C++).
We are packaging it separately now though.

http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/pgagent.html
http://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgagent.php

--
Dave Page

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Thu, dem 04.12.2008, um 10:50:38 -0500 mailte Robert Treat folgendes:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 07:11:02 A. Kretschmer wrote:
> > am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
> > > I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of
> > > time in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available
> > > in Postgre to do so.
> >
> > No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).
> >

> There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
> with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a

How does it work? Independent from the OS? On the server, within
PostgreSQL?

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM, A. Kretschmer
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Thu, dem 04.12.2008, um 10:50:38 -0500 mailte Robert Treat folgendes:
>> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 07:11:02 A. Kretschmer wrote:
>> > am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
>> >
>> > No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).
>> >

>> There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
>> with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a
>
> How does it work? Independent from the OS? On the server, within
> PostgreSQL?

It runs as a service on Windows or daemon on *nix, and connects to a
pgagent schema in a database which may or may not be on the same
machine.

You can define jobs using pgAdmin (the definitions of which are stored
in the database) which consist of one or more SQL or batch/shell
steps. A job can be targetted at a particular server, so you can
ensure batch steps run on a Windows box, and shell on a unix, or can
be run by the first (or only) pgAgent instance that picks it up. SQL
steps currently target a specific database, and in future releases
will be able to target databases on alternate servers - a feature
required for use with hot standby servers.

Each job can have one or more schedules attached to it. Schedules are
defined in a vaguely cron-like way, and include date/time based
exception rules (so you can do things like 'run every day except for
the 25/12/2008'.

See http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/pgagent.html for more info, and screenshots.

--
Dave Page

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Thu, dem 04.12.2008, um 16:40:38 +0000 mailte Dave Page folgendes:
> >> There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
> >> with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a
> >
> > How does it work? Independent from the OS? On the server, within
> > PostgreSQL?
>
> It runs as a service on Windows or daemon on *nix, and connects to a
> pgagent schema in a database which may or may not be on the same
> machine.
>
> You can define jobs using pgAdmin (the definitions of which are stored
> in the database) which consist of one or more SQL or batch/shell
> steps. A job can be targetted at a particular server, so you can
> ensure batch steps run on a Windows box, and shell on a unix, or can
> be run by the first (or only) pgAgent instance that picks it up. SQL
> steps currently target a specific database, and in future releases
> will be able to target databases on alternate servers - a feature
> required for use with hot standby servers.

Thx for the explanation.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
Jason Long
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
am  Tue, dem 02.12.2008, um 16:45:16 +0500 mailte IPS folgendes:
I have certain jobs  to be executed automatically at a given interval of
time in the postgre SQL database. Is their any utility/feature available
in Postgre to do so.
No, use the scheduler from the OS, CRON for example (UNIX).

There is a database level schedular called (iirc) pgAgent, which comes bundled
with pgAdmin. I think it's so well hidden because it comes as a part of a
tool which is only used by a small subset of the community. I had hopes that
it might follow autovacuums path and get moved into a contrib module and
possibly integrated into the backend some day, but I haven't seen much push
in that direction.

What is everyone using  instead of pgAdmin?
 In production I only use ssh and psql, but in development I do use pgAdmin.

Re: Job scheduling in Postgre

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Jason Long
<mailing.list@supernovasoftware.com> wrote:

> What is everyone using  instead of pgAdmin?
>  In production I only use ssh and psql, but in development I do use pgAdmin.

I do it all with cron and psql / pg_backup / bash